Japan Blue Momotaro

Klaas

I have these in a size 36.  A few things I notice are:

Top block is roomy.  Almost a little baggy.

The taper is significant

For a size 36 I believe these jeans have the tightest hem in my collection

I have yet to soak or wash mine but notice really no bleeding on my hands.  In contrast my other Japan Blue jeans (indigo X indigo monsters and military monsters) turned my hand blue from bleeding.

Fabric initially is very stiff and cardboard like

The blue on blue look is very unique.  Mike's pictures do a great job showing this.  The look of the jeans change in different lights.

Definitely a great pair of unique Japanese jeans at a great price.

I wish the leather patch was bigger to allow your belt to go underneath it.

Pocket bags could be a little deeper.

I have size 34. I gave them a warm machine wash with low speed spin this past weekend, hoping to remove starch and shrink the top block a little bit, and the result is great. It shrinks half an inch on the waist, about a quarter inch on the thigh and one inch on inseam. After hang dried, they feel very rigid and crispy, but I did not have too hard time putting them on, and after a couple of hours of wear, they've become very comfortable.

I too have a slight problem with the tight hem. With the length and indigo x indigo combo, I'd like to wear them with single cuff, and that makes it a little hard putting on my service boots. It'll be impossible to wear them with engineer boots, but they should go perfect with sneakers.

There's no bleeding for me either, and I enjoy the higher rise very much. All in all, they are definitely one of the best entry level denim jeans on the market like indigoshrimp @mikecch has said, and I can't wait to see how they evolve. 

XxxEyUv.jpg

So I think this is the first time i post any pics of my The Denim StoreXMomotaro pair. These have been my 2nd pair on the side of my main jeans so I've had them for more than 2 years but maybe have 6 months effective wear. Just gave them their first wash, one soak done previously beside initial soak.

Before wash:

hdj23Jf.jpg?1

AQm7DEI.jpg?1

HKLWY29.jpg?1

kK6IrEZ.jpg

After wash:

SwQbzsc.jpg

IzYzmdM.jpg

VWYwMqq.jpg

PP6Wfyd.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Type: ER-007-2B

Worn for: Almost 4 years, probably 16-17 months of effective wear

Washes: 8-9, first one around 5 months

Really like how the black threads appear more and more at friction points. Had to make several repairs in the crotch after hiking though.

They're now good to go for the next six months hopefully.

31858530852_5ba27b1122_z.jpg

31969158306_5b3088a004_b.jpg

31632586210_7c9f9e6557_b.jpg

Montreal gets your pants quite dirty...

31632582870_27ba221098_z.jpg

31858517602_7759ebdef1_z.jpg

Cheers!

Edited by vgadjo

• 1 month later...

Has anyone here seen any info about the 20oz denim that Momotaro produced for this collaboration with Blue Owl Workshop? It's hard to find raw unsanforized Momotaro jeans, so I'm definitely considering this pair. The blacked-out detailing also looks cool, though part of me would want to have the classic white battle stripes if I only ever own a single pair of Momos...

The one thing I'm not sure about is the fabric. It looks kind of like a bulked-up version of the vintage label denim in the close-up shots, but that's always very hard to tell. Has anyone seen this fabric in person or have any idea of what the fabric is probably like? Didn't find anything in my various searches through the thread, nor did an internet search for 20oz and Momotaro turn up anything besides the BOW page.

That's an amazing offer! No need to go out of your way in the slightest though, Chicote. I also pinged the Blue Owl crew via email to ask their impressions. Just wanted to see if anyone here had seen or heard anything yet.

If you do happen to get to Blue Owl anyway though, any thoughts you have on seeing them in person would be most welcome.

• 3 weeks later...

I handled Japan Blue's Cote d'Ivorie denim for the first time the other day. Must say I was pleasantly surprised! Very soft and wonderful fabric. 
Didn't try them on so I'm not sure how good the fit is, but going by the look and feel of the fabric I say they definitely deserve more attention than they get.

Edit: Here's a (sold out) slim fit at Okayama denim just so you at least can check out some pics: https://www.okayamadenim.com/collections/japan-blue/products/japan-blue-jbcd0263-cote-divoire-skinny

Edited by Bobbo

^ Gold is best, if by best you mean most expensive and hand-made.

Japan Blue and Okayama Denim just released another collab, 'Snow Slub'. I'm skipping this one for the time being, but keen to see some photos if anyone has bought a pair.

15 hours ago, mikecch said:

^ Gold is best, if by best you mean most expensive and hand-made.

Japan Blue and Okayama Denim just released another collab, 'Snow Slub'. I'm skipping this one for the time being, but keen to see some photos if anyone has bought a pair.

but they won't fade even if you wear them for 10 years

15 hours ago, Max Power said:

GTB and vintage label use the same denim, just that the GTB is one wash. Its a really nice denim.

how does it compare with the copper label? Are they almost the same?

Here are my GL007-MZ copper label 14.7oz old blue after one year(lots of wears but not continuous)

image.jpeg

On 3/10/2017 at 9:42 AM, keybladehero said:

Which momotaro fabric is the best? GTB, Vintage or copper label?

'Had the pleasure of experiencing Copper [type2 jacket], Vintage [701] & Deep Indigo w/c has dyed weft [202SP].

'Loved how the Vintage faded... but, the ataris  on the type2 is starting to look really interesting, as well.  

So, I snagged a G014-MB to see how [that] translates on a pair of jeans ... Will post try to post texture comparison when I get the chance.

Edited by BrownMetallic

@TheIntelligentHoodwinker

I wish I had your will power...despite Brexit I've already overshot my annual clothing budget and it's only March, and still a wish list!

On 16.3.2017 at 8:59 PM, Slowitchu said:

Have you been wearing these now on the side of your Warehouse and Resolute? Sometime it seems like you have 5 pair of legs! 

No, they are super old. I think they were my main pair in 2011 /2012 before I got the Samurai 710XX.

Anyone with experience in the 15.7 ounce or 18 ounce denim care to comment on how much waist stretching they've experienced? The word I'm getting from Blue Owl is to expect less than 1 inch in waist stretching from momos Zimbabwean cotton denim.

Is it unreasonable to expect either of the 15.7 or 18 ounce denims to stretch 1 full size in the waist? 

Edited by 034936

On 18 March 2017 at 11:44 AM, Niro said:

just eat ramen for the rest of the year. Your clothing budget can then expand

Good idea!

ive been living on pasta for both lunch and dinner recently to fund my denim habit, as so many on SUFU have such Amazing denim collections-I've only got 8 pairs and I'd like another dozen raw denim jeans and jackets so that I can concentrate on a couple of pairs, but intersperse the other 18 when I feel like a change..of course like everyone I'd keep some pristine (!!!), but eventually, when some wore out, I could start on the next pair, worn or unworn..

Concentrate on 2 but have another 18 in rotation....that's probably 20 years worth of denim. Sacraficing food for denim you won't even get to wear....

Dude, wear what you got already and go grab a big fat burger.

On 10 March 2017 at 1:22 PM, Max Power said:

Momotaro 0901SP, around 1 year of wear.

R0010662.JPG

R0010663.JPG

R0010673.JPG

R0010675.JPG

These are awesome!

i wish I could get my Momotaros to look like that-it's the favourite pair of Monotaros I've seen to date(I like mine, but after only a year they're just amateurs)- hope in a years time I can produce similar fades!

2 minutes ago, Geeman said:

Concentrate on 2 but have another 18 in rotation....that's probably 20 years worth of denim. Sacraficing food for denim you won't even get to wear....

Dude, wear what you got already and go grab a big fat burger.

I think I'd rather have the biggest pizza in the world!

but then None of my jeans would fit, ha ha!