Japan Blue Momotaro

Klaas

• 1 month later...

gJU31VI.jpg

B-league Momos. First pair of new jeans since 2013 :)

Fabric is a slubby 18 oz from Collect Mills, with indigo warp & brown weft.

Stitch work and hardware are basic but not bad.

Currently soaking~~~

The fabric on those looks nice!

Agreed!

I'm not a purist when it comes to denim...love slubs and subtly coloured wefts.

I8mY6BO.jpg

The brown of the weft is quite subtle.

More like the colouring of tea stains.

b1fmxYa.jpg

The indigo is starting to fade already after one wear? Or is it just the light?

tViyclh.jpg

Edited by mikecch

^ Mmm, it's not bad at all, especially considering the price and country of manufacture.

I had thought their older stuff had been a bit boring, but the models over the past couple of years are quite cool!

oJVsB1Y.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I've found, all the fancy details and shit aside, fit I still my most important factor.

It's a funny thing. I used to not pay attention to how the fit works with my body, and usually go for looser cuts. But now with work and spousal pressures to look more presentable, the fit is so important all of a sudden.

The taper on this one is very aggressive, more so than the other tapered models from other brands.

Sufu is for everything ;)

Love your reviews!

You got that SDA and CSF to review, you lucky person!

• 3 weeks later...

Did anyone get the soulive indigo dyed M1 jacket?

I've decided to get a light jacket for those stupid days when it rains during spring to autumn months, but am months too late to get hold of this jacket. Plus it's at a better price point than brands like Buzz Ricksons and Mccoys, and doesn't seem to have 'US' branding.

Review for the Japan Blue JB0626 is up on my blog.

tl:dr: good value, cool fabric, SuFu probably won't be interested.

I know you said something briefly comparing the SEXSG24 to the Godzilla denim but how similar would you say the two are?  And what are the differences?

I know you said something briefly comparing the SEXSG24 to the Godzilla denim but how similar would you say the two are?  And what are the differences?

Mmm. My initial impressions are:

* Both have very slubby wefts and somewhat irregular warps, and are similar weight.

* SEXSG24 has a looser weave, is unsanforised, and stretches more easily.

* SEXSG24 is the rougher of the two, more hairy, more tactile likely due to the larger slubs in the weft, and is less rigid once settled.

* Godzilla has a denser weave and is sanforised. 

* Godzilla is more rigid but has a smoother feel, it is more comfortable.

* Godzilla is crocks fast, not sure about SEXSG24 yet.

* Both are pleasing to the hand, perhaps the Godzilla more interesting visually due to the tea coloured weft...I don't significantly favor one fabric over the other, to be honest.

Gozilla, for me, has a much better fit - but that has nothing to do with the fabric.

Need more time with the Wavy fabric though.

Edited by mikecch

Mmm. My initial impressions are:

* Both have very slubby wefts and somewhat irregular warps, and are similar weight.

* SEXSG24 has a looser weave, is unsanforised, and stretches more easily.

* SEXSG24 is the rougher of the two, more hairy, more tactile likely due to the larger slubs in the weft, and is less rigid once settled.

* Godzilla has a denser weave and is sanforised. 

* Godzilla is more rigid but has a smoother feel, it is more comfortable.

* Godzilla is crocks fast, not sure about SEXSG24 yet.

* Both are pleasing to the hand, perhaps the Godzilla more interesting visually due to the tea coloured weft...I don't significantly favor one fabric over the other, to be honest.

Gozilla, for me, has a much better fit - but that has nothing to do with the fabric.

Need more time with the Wavy fabric though.

Great explanation. Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I saw that as well Mike. I'm hesitant because the measurements are the exact same for the Godzilla, sapphire, and double black pairs. So I'm not sure which of them are correct, and usually when I email them they always say measurements are correct and up to date.

^ Yeah, all three are the same cut I think. JB seems pretty consistent run to run.

I ordered the Sapphire in 36, but also wearing the Godzilla in 36 too. Will let you know if they are any different.

Okayama Denim x Japan Blue "Sapphire Slub" reviewed here:

https://indigoshrimp.wordpress.com/2016/10/20/okayama-denim-x-japan-blue-odjb001-sapphire-slub-collaboration-jeans-review/

tl:dr Pretty much the same jeans as Godzilla (JB0626), apart from small details and the colour of weft.

I really like the fit and the fabric, but many of you old timers probably won't be too interested given the very non-traditional details.

p8ruYQq.jpg

Okayama Denim x Japan Blue "Sapphire Slub" reviewed here:

https://indigoshrimp.wordpress.com/2016/10/20/okayama-denim-x-japan-blue-odjb001-sapphire-slub-collaboration-jeans-review/

tl:dr Pretty much the same jeans as Godzilla (JB0626), apart from small details and the colour of weft.

I really like the fit and the fabric, but many of you old timers probably won't be too interested given the very non-traditional details.

p8ruYQq.jpg

Great review, they should arrive today, can't wait to get back home and try them on.

Great review, they should arrive today, can't wait to get back home and try them on.

I have these in a size 36.  A few things I notice are:

Top block is roomy.  Almost a little baggy.

The taper is significant

For a size 36 I believe these jeans have the tightest hem in my collection

I have yet to soak or wash mine but notice really no bleeding on my hands.  In contrast my other Japan Blue jeans (indigo X indigo monsters and military monsters) turned my hand blue from bleeding.

Fabric initially is very stiff and cardboard like

The blue on blue look is very unique.  Mike's pictures do a great job showing this.  The look of the jeans change in different lights.

Definitely a great pair of unique Japanese jeans at a great price.

I wish the leather patch was bigger to allow your belt to go underneath it.

Pocket bags could be a little deeper.