Japan Blue Momotaro

Klaas

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Does anyone of you own a pair of 0305-18?

I am wearing mine for some months now, but already from the first month the threads of the pockets are breaking. Did anyone else notice this too?

My coin pocket is only in place because of the rivets. And back pocket corners are also starting to come off.

Maybe because of the thinkness of the fabric?

Thanks!

Hi guys,

Does anyone of you own a pair of 0305-18?

I am wearing mine for some months now, but already from the first month the threads of the pockets are breaking. Did anyone else notice this too?

My coin pocket is only in place because of the rivets. And back pocket corners are also starting to come off.

Maybe because of the thinkness of the fabric?

Thanks!

The stitching on my pair has been weak too. 

• 2 weeks later...

^ Yeah, I've got that pair, wore them about 5 months alternating with my other heavyweight jeans. It's just getting cold enough to move them back into my rotation.

Really nice deep indigo, does that Momotaro fading to electric blue. The all-over fades will take a while longer to show, but there's already some decent contrast forming on the whiskers and little peeks of light blue in the combs. Fabric feels super smooth and regular. There's a bit of slub that provides a grainier fade to the denim, but you don't notice it when wearing them. The cotton never really softened up even with 2-3 months of pretty hard wear and a couple washes. They definitely take a lot of beating to wear in.

Also, just a note on the fit: it's still pretty trim in the thigh for me. The natural tapered leans closer to a slim tapered cut than, say, a 60s cut with more below-knee taper.

I hope I didn't overread it - does anybody know more about the Raw 18 oz Momotaro models, for example this: http://www.cultizm.com/product_info.php?info=p7285_Momotaro-Jeans-0605-18-Raw-Selvage-Denim-18oz.html

I have a pair with the same denim, but different cut. The denim is amazing. Does take a while to break in, but after three washes and now about 7 months of wear they are peeeeerfect. They were fine earlier than that, but the last wash really softened them up. Great denim, I would go for it.

Mine are still a few months of wear away from any real visible fades. The only faded pair of the 18 oz denim is this pair of tight tapered Momotaros I've seen on reddit.

These are mine. I would post more pics but I couldnt wear them for over a month because of repairs, so they only have maybe a month more wear than those pics, so the change isn't huge. 

In that thread, the OP says he got a fair bit of stretch out of the Momotaros, but that is definitely contrary to my experience. The 18 oz denim has not given an inch so far.

I measured them a couple weeks ago, the waist has stretched two inches, the thigh half an inch, and the knee a quarter of an inch. The denim has a ton of give. Granted, I have over twice the amount of wear on mine than you do, but still, all of my stretch happened in the first month. You just have to battle the denim and not let the denim win hahaha. Actually, one of my favorite parts about this denim is how much give it has. My pair has really softened up to the point where it have a good amount of give in my daily wear. I really love the denim on these if you can't tell haha. 10/10 would buy these again Max Power. 

That must've been some fight the first couple weeks of wearing those jeans! Glad to hear they're gonna soften up in the next month or so of wear. Anyway, the pair looks really good. Motivated me to break mine out and start wearing them again, so hopefully they'll have some nice fades by spring.

That must've been some fight the first couple weeks of wearing those jeans! Glad to hear they're gonna soften up in the next month or so of wear. Anyway, the pair looks really good. Motivated me to break mine out and start wearing them again, so hopefully they'll have some nice fades by spring.

Yeah I couldn't button them up when I got them. But they eventually stretched, and now fit almost perfectly. Just wear them hard and they will break in well. I love the jeans, they are great

Really quite tempted by those 0605's, but that sizing is odd, high high rise with oversize waist - that's completely the wrong around.

Yeah i agree on that aspect. I could never squeeze into a pair of 0305 "tight" versions and the 0701 is too tight too.

Hey guys,

I just received some 701 and I'm just wondering if I should make 1-2 hot soaks for max shrinkage or send it back. Waist isn't a problem, legs aren't either, but thighs and knees fit really big.

Losing 1" in the upper thigh should be good, though I may not lose 1" in the lower thigh/knee area and even with 1" it might still be big. The 3/4 is blurry but it shows well the excess in fabric.

-> Album

Edited by Jonaz

Hey guys,

I just received some 701 and I'm just wondering if I should make 1-2 hot soaks for max shrinkage or send it back. Waist isn't a problem, legs aren't either, but thighs and knees fit really big.

Losing 1" in the upper thigh should be good, though I may not lose 1" in the lower thigh/knee area and even with 1" it might still be big. The 3/4 is blurry but it shows well the excess in fabric.

-> Album

Is this pre or post soak? if this is presoak IMO it looks pretty good but id only expect to lose about 3/4" through the leg. If you're concerned that may not work then you could send them back for a size down and not go super hot and aggressive for the soak.

Hogg and CMBO: The 0605 cut actually works well as a high-rise slim jean with room for bigger butt and thighs, though most people will want to size down to account for that bigger waist (I wear a 30 in these jeans, while my usual tag size is 31 and true waist is 31-32). There's enough room in the hips and upper thigh that the waist does not seem too large in proportion. The rise is high, but not especially so. It definitely still feels like a modern pair of jeans and not some disco throwback.

Now the set of measurements I really don't get is the new "high tapered" fit from Japan Blue. Blue Owl says the waist measures 33.75" on a tag size 31, in a sanforized denim. Yet the thighs and knee look pretty normal for a tag size 31, so it's not as if you can just aggressively size down. Has anyone tried this fit on? Does it really feel like the waist is vastly oversized?

Is this pre or post soak? if this is presoak IMO it looks pretty good but id only expect to lose about 3/4" through the leg. If you're concerned that may not work then you could send them back for a size down and not go super hot and aggressive for the soak.

Those are pre soak pictures. Basically I have +1" in the upper thigh and +1,75-2" in the knee area. I come from a pair of XX-005 that I really love so I knew the knee would be bigger but BiG measurements said 3/4" only so unless they shrink a hell of a lot it's actually much more than that :).

I don't think the knee/thigh area is to big, imo they fit pretty good before soaking.

How is the upper thigh/waist?

Waist is good, half an inch larger but it should shrink and be good. Compared to my XX-005, upper thigh +1", knee +2".

Here you can see them layered, don't look at the waist, I made sure both legs were well aligned:

wBe4TmG.jpg

Edited by Jonaz

Can anyone help me out with sizing for the JB0601 Hi-Tapered cut?

How much does these stretch?

I can easily button up 29s, they'd be fine if they wont' stretch. They'll look too big, if they stretch out.

The leg of the 28s are perfect, the top block is very snug, but I can button them up with some effort. In this state they are pretty uncomfortable.

Waist is good, half an inch larger but it should shrink and be good. Compared to my XX-005, upper thigh +1", knee +2".

Here you can see them layered, don't look at the waist, I made sure both legs were well aligned:

wBe4TmG.jpg

They're slightly different  cuts. The XX005 tapers more on the thighs until the knees. The Momo 701 has got more room everywhere making then more a tigh straight cut than a slim one.

Here are mine after 1.5 years of wear for each. Both s29.

Measured the difference at knees. There's 1.8 cm. 

22046450396_3bb250e27d_c.jpg

You should probably consider another cut/brand if you want something slimmer. Hope this helps.

Cheers

They're slightly different  cuts. The XX005 tapers more on the thighs until the knees. The Momo 701 has got more room everywhere making then more a tigh straight cut than a slim one.

Here are mine after 1.5 years of wear for each. Both s29.

Measured the difference at knees. There's 1.8 cm. 

22046450396_3bb250e27d_c.jpg

You should probably consider another cut/brand if you want something slimmer. Hope this helps.

Cheers

Any recommendation ? I was thinking maybe xx-007 but others brands might have some cuts close to xx-005 too. Flat head 3001 looks quite slim but I'm not a big fan of the zip, Strike Gold maybe but denimio doesn't stock it anymore unfortunately.

Edited by Jonaz