Japan Blue Momotaro

Klaas

What size did you get? They look pretty trim. I have some 0901s on the way as well! They'll probably sit on the back-burner for awhile until I put some wear into other pairs.

Size 32, so right on true to size. I've got large thighs though which is why I went with the 0901.

You are  brave man going for the pink battle stripes.

I could never pull that off. Looking forward to seeing the evo pics though.

Fit looks really good on those 0901. I haven't seen many people wearing that cut but I'm impressed. 

Thanks! I was a little in the dark about what to expect fit-wise for that reason, but I'm really happy with the way it panned out.

Anybody on here have any experience with either JB 0412 or JB 0412 ML? I see them on places like denimio for a very low price, considering they're 16.5 oz but I'm not sure what to expect so I've never just pulled the trigger and bought a pair.

I have a pair of the JB 0412 ML in size 36 purchased from Okayama Denim.  The denim has great character and feel but feel lighter than 16.5oz.  The fit is one of the slimmer fits in my collection.  The denim fades very quickly with a little bleeding.  My hands were getting a little blue during the first few weeks.  I really like the military green weft.  The green is not so noticable on the outside but it slowly starts to peak through as you wear them in.  The belt loops and back leather patch are a little small.  This would be my only complaint.  I have two pairs of Japan Blue jeans.  Both look great.  I think in general they sell a great Japanese jean for a good price.

Momotaro x Blue Owl "Midnight Warrior" Skinny Straight 15.7oz - Model BOM001

6 Months

3 washes

Please excuse the crazy lighting here in Los Angeles today.

They really are that dark in areas and that bright electric blue in the worn areas.

They are my tightest fitting pair so the fading is pretty extreme.

Really liking these!

Wish there were still some available, would snap them up in an instant.

Really liking these!

Wish there were still some available, would snap them up in an instant.

Thanks tion4.

They were such a random and lucky pickup during the last holiday season off eBay.

They fit perfect from day 1 and have been a favorite ever since. I want them to last as long as possible because it's not everyday you get a pair that fits so well. So at this point they maybe get 2-3 days a week actual wear. 

@peeps getting crotch blowouts [on normal wear]__ u may want to check your sizing. U either been wearing them pulled down or sizing down too much.

Also, U might want to consider crotch reinforcement before wear. It can make a world of difference

The 0901s arrived last week, and I finally got around to taking some pictures once they'd settled a bit. Maybe an unpopular choice but I went with the pink battle stripes and I'm happy with the way it came out. I also ended up getting one-wash.

Seems like there's some loose fabric in the top block but it doesn't bother me, and as a whole these are some comfy jeans. This is the first pair of unsanforized jeans I've had, and side by side the differences are apparent. I've always loved the color this fabric gets with age so I'm eager to see where they go from here.

IMO u sized right cuz there will still be shrinkage down the line

Never considered the rise. Is that because they sit too low when it's too long?

Yes. I feel like people fall into two groups when wearing jeans.

A—The ones that buy whatever jean and depending on rise, will adjust where they wear their jeans.

B—The other (and this is me) always wear the jean (as in the top of the jean) at the exact same spot.

For example, I always wear my jean so the the top band sits about an inch and half above my butt. If the rise is shorter, I am less likely to get a crotch blowout because think about it, when you are walking, there is less (swing) pressure on the crotch seam because it is closer to your body. This is definitely more true for tighter fits too as there is less room to play with as far as thighs are concerned. I mean, sag your jeans half way down your thighs and go for a few steps, you'll see that the crotch seam is moving back and forth way more. Same principle applies to longer rises. I'm alway bummed when companies I like come out with a great fit except the rise is too long.

Edited by reallypeacedoff

my thoughts on crotch tears:

If they're starting at the actual crotch (around the fly), it's usually due to some spur of fabric on the placket of the fly rubbing at the denim from the inside. A small hole forms, which can widen into a rip as tension is placed on the area from walking around. If I see the beginnings of this kind of hole, I darn it with some indigo thread pulled from selvedge offcuts and try to attach the offending part of the placket to the spot I'm mending so it can't rub so much in the future.

Tearing on the inner thigh is more of a problem, and seems to happen any time there's a crease or ridge of fabric that's more or less always present. Warp threads wear away on the edge of the ridge as they rub against the opposite thigh or its seam (which is why it can happen even when you're thinking "but hey, my thighs don't chafe when I walk"), and as soon as a few of them are gone the hole forms from continual stress in that area.

I haven't had it happen for a few years, until the 0201s pictured a page back. With these, I believe it's due to the crotch seam feeling just a little shorter than usual from front to back.. there's never been excessive discomfort, but I can definitely feel tightness there if I'm crouching. Basically, it' s always pulling to some degree, I guess. This results in a couple of creases running from crotch down the inner thigh; nothing you'd notice, but the ridges of those creases do brush past each other when I walk. Enough walking, they begin to fray and then there's the likelihood of a tear from the tension on the fabric from a) walking, crouching, whatever and b ) the shortness of that crotch seam pulling upwards.

TL;DR when denim rubs against itself or anything else long enough, a hole will form

Edited by mondo

Never had a crotch blowout, no matter what cut or brand (even on my Nudie Slim Jims that were falling apart in other places). So I assume that bodyshape and the way you move, walk etc.also play a part. I usually go for mid to highrise jeans but that didn't affect anything.

Well, most here knows, other than sizing right, proper jeans maintenance is also a big factor__ u can only [go dry] for so long ... gotta keep them from rotting by washing or @least periodic soaks to temper the cotton yarns & threads.

'Learned my lesson from my s710. Never had a blowout since.

Edited by BrownMetallic

Never had a crotch blowout, no matter what cut or brand (even on my Nudie Slim Jims that were falling apart in other places). So I assume that bodyshape and the way you move, walk etc.also play a part. I usually go for mid to highrise jeans but that didn't affect anything.

For sure, not saying that a rise is the end all. Just pointing out that it can play a part. All of my jeans that have low rises have taken about 12 months before I got a blow out. All my jeans that have high rises lasted about 6–8 months before repairs.

Edit: And I ride a fixed gear like 15 miles a day too, so that accounts for something as well!

Well, most here knows, other than sizing right, proper jeans maintenance is also a big factor__ u can only [go dry] for so long ... gotta keep them from rotting by washing or @least periodic soaks to temper the cotton yarns & threads.

Never seen the point of waiting to wash your jeans. Always thrown it in the washing machine when they smell or are dirty, hot with detergent. As you said, keeping the cotton 'damp' will prolong the life. Actually, I threw on my SExI14s the other day that have been sitting in my wardrobe for at least 6 months and with the heat in LA at the moment, they literally felt like paper from being so dried out. I wore them for a full weekend and by the end of it, I had about 6 new rips. They look good though, need to get them repaired again.

Edited by reallypeacedoff

Japan Blue - these ARE oversized by about two inches in the waist, right? Could those of you who own them confirm?

Regular or tapered models in particular. Thanks....

The sanforized models, yes. Between one to two inches in the waist. Unsanforized, not so sure (i.e. the Monster fabric). Be sure to double check the thigh measurements though, can be a bit tricky.

Yeah, when I had like 10kg more and I bought my JB0716, I got a 31 first because the waist measurement seemed fine, but I couldn't get them over my legs. Had to go with a 33. Now that I've lost some weight I wish I had the 31 again....

Maybe try a 33 and shrink the waist down? Although I hate it when I have to go through so much trouble to get a pair to fit.