Japan Blue Momotaro

Klaas

Some fit pictures for my new 0305-18. I love the fit overall, but the knees are seeming like they're going to end up very baggy. Lots of extra fabric relative to the taper around the calf.

x0IFqic.jpg?1

ymmcLcV.jpg?1

7nq9Nx8.jpg

xRZ2nOq.jpg?1

Also interesting: I wore double indigo jeans for a whole year and my shoes stayed perfectly white, but these leaked pretty heavily after a couple hours. I don't care so much with the converse, but will probably avoid wearing with the white leather until after a few washes.

YTw4lWc.jpg?1

ZGJPsvp.jpg?1

I love the fit! But if I don't keep pushing the legs down then my knees start to look like this:

FIJA1Hz.jpg?1

I'm assuming it will get better as they soften up. I'm just not used to my skinnier jeans doing that! But I've also never managed to get jeans this heavy to be this skinny.

Ya that fit is spot on mate!

Max is right though...they will settle after some time.

And yes to a hem to eliminate the amount of fabric stacking up around the knee.

That Momotaro banner is sweet! I would love to have one of those.

40sg8.jpg

o0aq2a.jpg

rixb2p.jpg

25gw2ns.jpg

Momotaro x Blue Owl "Midnight Warrior" Skinny Straight 15.7oz - Model BOM001

6 Months

3 washes

Please excuse the crazy lighting here in Los Angeles today.

They really are that dark in areas and that bright electric blue in the worn areas.

They are my tightest fitting pair so the fading is pretty extreme.

I was back and forth on cuffing this pair but I think you're right - a little less stacking looks better. Unfortunately even if I cuff them past my ankles the knees still look the same, so I'll just have to assume it'll improve with time. 

VxVHSsN.jpg?1

I had the exact same issue with the pair I just posted photos of and honestly I just kinda accepted it's the way they were gonna be and stopped worrying about it and sure enough after a few months had passed they relaxed and settled. Now I don't even notice or think about it. Hopefully the same will be true for you.

You could also try this kind of cuff. It's worked well for me.

What I like about this type of cuff is the chainstitch is still visible whereas a standard double cuff it isn't.

5zfjpk.jpg

Edited by Wörn75

That's how I cuff a Majority of my jeans! It looks a little too bulky on the end of such a heavy taper though, in my opinion. I'm happy with the smaller cuff because I wanted more stacking with this pair anyways.

Do any of you happens to have both PBJ xx-005 and Momotaro 0701 ?

I hesitate between buying the 0701 in size 28 or 29.

28 has a raw waist of 29-29,5". BiG and Blue Owl list the shrinkage at 1-1.5", getting back to raw size with wear (which is the size of the waist on the jeans I already own). But there was a comment in the early pages from someone whose jeans shrinked from 29 to 27.5" which might be tough to stretch back as Momotaro don't stretch like crazy apparently (1" in waist from resellers). Also I need thigh of 10.6" and BiG list thigh at 10.75" raw / 10.5" OW whereas Blue Owl list it at 10.25" raw :unsure:.

29 has a waist of 30, so going back to raw size with wear will be too much if it only shrink to 29".

All these difference in sizing are very confusing as usual, I thought it might be easier to ask people who also had a xx005 what size they had with both.

EDIT: I have xx-005 in size 27, with wear waist is 29,5" and thigh is 10.6".

Edited by Jonaz

Hey Jonaz,

I've got both some Pbj 005 (raw) and some Momo er007-2b (701/702 cut if I'm right, OW) in s29. 

On the one hand I had a hard stretching the Momos to my actual waist (77-78cm). I'd say it took at least two weeks. On the other hand the Pbj felt a bit loose after a month (80cm). I would not wear them without a belt. I can definitely wear the Momos without a belt.

So the Momos in S28 sounds like the way to go in your case.

Hope this helps

PS: This is my favourite cut from all my pairs.

Edited by vgadjo

Nice fadings. But a crotch blowout after only 6.5 months of wear is a no go!

blown out in two places and almost a third, have had to repair the back pockets several times, and the yoke is looking weak. Durability is not a strong point with this pair

Nice fadings. But a crotch blowout after only 6.5 months of wear is a no go!

blown out in two places and almost a third, have had to repair the back pockets several times, and the yoke is looking weak. Durability is not a strong point with this pair

I'm always prone to crotch blowouts at around the 5 month mark. It happens with every pair I've ever had, no matter what the brand is or the weight of the denim. 

Just roll with it 

I'm always prone to crotch blowouts at around the 5 month mark. It happens with every pair I've ever had, no matter what the brand is or the weight of the denim. 

Just roll with it

yeah I don't mind the crotxh blowouts as much as I do the weak all cotton stitching. Crotxh blowouts are inevitable, but stronger stitching would be less of a pain. I guess it is less "character" though

Anybody on here have any experience with either JB 0412 or JB 0412 ML? I see them on places like denimio for a very low price, considering they're 16.5 oz but I'm not sure what to expect so I've never just pulled the trigger and bought a pair.

Hi, must have been about six months since I last posted any jeans.. since then I have mostly been wearing these 0201s.  As usual, they started out being my "good" jeans that I was trying to preserve for occasions when I needed to look reasonably neat, and seemed like they were going to be stubborn faders. 

Then I acquired another pair, as well as some dry 0901s—so these became my everyday pair.

They've had a hot soak and two washes that I can recall.

2-front_zpsel9bcoru.jpg

2-back_zpsd9tx0kvm.jpg

2-front-cu_zpsa68qxgy0.jpg

My usual Kawatako indigo-dyed wallet... I darn threadbare sections with indigo thread pulled from some spare dry denim, so the repairs age nicely.  Never the most durable repairs, though.  There are a few to forestall incipient crotch blowout as well, which is a problem I've not experienced for a few years before getting these 0201s... could be the slightly lower rise and slimmer fit compared to my roomier Sugarcanes, Flat Heads, and Samurais or may just be a Momotaro thing.  I'll know when I start breaking in the looser 0901s, I guess.

2-rear-cu_zpshovhu8nd.jpg

2-l-comb_zpsikv6zyxi.jpg

2-r-comb_zpstbpccygs.jpg

This is the first pair I've had chain stitched by a third party—Mikhail Zenon in this case.  I don't know if there's anywhere else to go in Sydney, but there's no need to with work as good as his.

2-rope_zpsn3whg2e3.jpg

...and a bonus pic with the 0901s; I think the sample swatch (a nice touch!) has been washed a few more times than my pair.

2-pairs_zpswrkinvik.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The 0901s arrived last week, and I finally got around to taking some pictures once they'd settled a bit. Maybe an unpopular choice but I went with the pink battle stripes and I'm happy with the way it came out. I also ended up getting one-wash.

19777122934_b4fa869827_c.jpg

20405948281_5f33c18500_c.jpg

20405949471_18162e9172_c.jpg

Seems like there's some loose fabric in the top block but it doesn't bother me, and as a whole these are some comfy jeans. This is the first pair of unsanforized jeans I've had, and side by side the differences are apparent. I've always loved the color this fabric gets with age so I'm eager to see where they go from here.