Japan Blue Momotaro

Klaas

Will Momo 0201 raws have the same fit as my JB0201 raws? Loving my JB0201s but thinking about opting for the Momos for my next pair.

Also, can someone explain why my size 34 JB0201 have just 4 buttons rather than all the pictures I'm seeing with 5 buttons on BlueOwl and OkayamaDenim?

Thanks all!

Will Momo 0201 raws have the same fit as my JB0201 raws? Loving my JB0201s but thinking about opting for the Momos for my next pair.

Also, can someone explain why my size 34 JB0201 have just 4 buttons rather than all the pictures I'm seeing with 5 buttons on BlueOwl and OkayamaDenim?

Thanks all!

Hi there, I highly doubt they will fit the same.  To start with, the JB0201 are sanforized so they have very minimal shrinkage whereas the Momotaro 0201 are from the 'Vintage Label' so they are shrink to fit (unsanforized).  Also JBJ focus on the European market so their fits are generally slimmer than Momotaro's fits.  I have the some Momotaro's available if you want to PM me.

As for the 4 fly buttons, I believe Japan Blue changed their designs slightly as well as the denim they use.  It is possible that the 5 button is the older model and 4 button is the new.  I am just guessing, I don't know this for sure!

How do the denims and cuts compare M1stral?

Well... The cut is somewhat, if not exactly, the same. Fabric comes in at 14.7oz (compared to 15.7oz for Vintage Label). Features a somewhat lighter color, which Momotaro calls Old Blue. It should be reminiscent to the color of blue jeans back in the days.

Details are great. Copper hardware overall, natural indigo dyed waistband. Thick riveted patch and some nice JB detailing.

Had this pair lying around for awhile, now I decided to finally start putting some wear in them.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone know if these Zimbabwe Cotton "Natural Tapered" are sanforized from Blue Owl? It doesn't say on their webpage.

https://www.blueowl.us/product/momotaro-blue-owl-exclusive-natural-tapered-going-to-battle-zimbabwe-cotton-18oz-raw-selvedge-denim/

They're really fitted out of the gate, so I'm hoping I won't need to shrink them a ton with a hot soak. I'd rather just get to wearing them.

Edited by An Oxymoron

I think they are sanforized, they seem to be the same lot no as these at BiG (0605-18) and have similar measurements:

http://blueingreensoho.com/site/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=17663&category_id=&manufacturer_id=42&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=28

The main difference and therefore 'exclusive' element to Blue Owl seems to be the GTB pocket stripes and a $55 cheaper price tag!

I think they are sanforized, they seem to be the same lot no as these at BiG (0605-18) and have similar measurements:

http://blueingreensoho.com/site/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=17663&category_id=&manufacturer_id=42&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=28

The main difference and therefore 'exclusive' element to Blue Owl seems to be the GTB pocket stripes and a $55 cheaper price tag!

Thanks, that's reassuring. I think I'll just wear them raw then. Might get a little fade shifting when I finally decide to soak, but that's not a big deal to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys - I am looking for a fit which is tapered and the only experience I have as of now is N&F weird guy cut....and I have a few issues.  I find that if I get the proper waist then the thighs/crotch are too tight.  Getting a fit which is tight but not too restrictive leaves the waist slightly too big.  This is fine as I can just wear a belt but in general I think I need a cut with slightly more rise and a bit more room in the thigh.  I do like a tapered fit in general similar to the weird guy or even more.  Thanks for the help!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys,

i need some information here.   :D

Will travel to Hong Kong in couple weeks and i try search the web for any store which might carry Japan Blue Jeans but i can't find anything.

Did you guys have any information about any store that carry Japan Blue Jeans brand in Hong Kong? especially the JB 0412 16.5Oz denim.

Would really appreciate if any of you can help me with any information though.

Well, cheers guys!   :D

Hi guys,

i need some information here.   :D

Will travel to Hong Kong in couple weeks and i try search the web for any store which might carry Japan Blue Jeans but i can't find anything.

Did you guys have any information about any store that carry Japan Blue Jeans brand in Hong Kong? especially the JB 0412 16.5Oz denim.

Would really appreciate if any of you can help me with any information though.

Well, cheers guys!   :D

If you would in HK you have to check out Take5. Not sure if they carry JP but a must for denim heads 

Take5 do not carry Japan Blue. Apparently, Incredible Shop (near the Star Street precinct in Wan Chai) carries the brand but I've never seen them there when I've visited.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to see what else you like at Take5. They have good stock of Momotaro, Samurai, The Flat Head and Studio D'Artisan and the prices are not a lot much more than JP retail.

Enjoy your visit!

Take5 do not carry Japan Blue. Apparently, Incredible Shop (near the Star Street precinct in Wan Chai) carries the brand but I've never seen them there when I've visited.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to see what else you like at Take5. They have good stock of Momotaro, Samurai, The Flat Head and Studio D'Artisan and the prices are not a lot much more than JP retail.

Enjoy your visit!

If you would in HK you have to check out Take5. Not sure if they carry JP but a must for denim heads 

Thanks for the replies guys.

I've checked out Take5 web, they definitely carry some amazing brands but sadly no JB.

Anyway will check out their physical shop there.

Hopefully i can find something there that meet my budget!  :D

Cheers! 

Thanks for the replies guys.

I've checked out Take5 web, they definitely carry some amazing brands but sadly no JB.

Anyway will check out their physical shop there.

Hopefully i can find something there that meet my budget!  :D

Cheers! 

Take 5 has a good selection but I find their pricing to be expensive.  I do not speak Cantonese but also find there staff is not that helpful.  Just my opinion from past expereinces.  I go to Hong Kong twice a year.  The shops on the 2nd floor if you have trouble finding them.

Take 5 has a good selection but I find their pricing to be expensive.  I do not speak Cantonese but also find there staff is not that helpful.  Just my opinion from past expereinces.  I go to Hong Kong twice a year.  The shops on the 2nd floor if you have trouble finding them.

Never been there but i've checked their official web and i was thinking the same.

I think i will try to go to Incredible Shop that @SugarMountain had mentioned since they posted on their FB that they carry the JB 0406. Not what i wanted but it's fine rather than come back home empty handed. and the price seems rationale and affordable for me.  :D

Anyway thanks for the info Gaze.

and if you guys have any other info about small shops that carry JB in Hong Kong, just mention it.

Will appreciate it a lot.

Cheers guys!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, question for those of you with experience with the 0901 and the 0201. I'm thinking of getting one of those two with the intent of having a pair of jeans that once settled would have a waist measurement of close to 32" and a thigh measurement of at least 12.5" horizontally. The post-soak/wash measurements of a 32 in both cuts seems to fit the bill, but how much will this fabric stretch back out?

Like most jeans, the waist will stretch back to raw if you need it to. My 0901s have had a soak and a 40C wash and have been worn around the house for a few days (still awaiting a hem). The waist is around 33" and the thigh about 13". I doubt they'll stretch any further as they don't need to but they probably could. They are very impressive jeans in terms of denim, cut and details.

EDIT: they are a size 32

Edited by Maynard Friedman

Like most jeans, the waist will stretch back to raw if you need it to. My 0901s have had a soak and a 40C wash and have been worn around the house for a few days (still awaiting a hem). The waist is around 33" and the thigh about 13". I doubt they'll stretch any further as they don't need to but they probably could. They are very impressive jeans in terms of denim, cut and details.

This would be my first pair of unsanforized, so I'm not too familiar with the dynamics of it and I know the degree of stretch varies between all fabrics. If I get the post-soak measurement I'm looking for am I going to find myself pulling my pants up all the time? Should I be sizing based on the washed measurements or the raw measurements?

I've some 0201s that have been going for about six months, and another raw pair plus some raw 0901s waiting in the wings until I can get them hemmed (there's this one guy in Sydney I trust for chain stitching needs!)...

My experience is that Momotaro vintage denim shrinks to pretty much the tagged dimensions, with some parts like the waistband shrinking a bit then stretching back out — I'm a 33, and the waistband on my raw pairs measures 16.5 - 17" laid flat (slightly different between the two pairs)... as does the waist on my 6-month-old pair that's received a hot soak and two warm washes.  Raw pairs measure 38" in the leg and will shrink to 36" (I hem them to about 34).

All three pairs feel the same around the waist (bit tighter on the 0901s because the higher rise means the waist sits further up), but the raw pairs are baggier around the thighs.  They're a genuine shrink-to-fit in that they will shrink a fair bit and then stretch back out where they need to, but not a whole lot further.  That is, they don't become saggy over time, needing a wash to tighten them back up — there's a little bit of give, but nowhere near as much as I get with Sugarcanes (for example)

I've some 0201s that have been going for about six months, and another raw pair plus some raw 0901s waiting in the wings until I can get them hemmed (there's this one guy in Sydney I trust for chain stitching needs!)...

My experience is that Momotaro vintage denim shrinks to pretty much the tagged dimensions, with some parts like the waistband shrinking a bit then stretching back out — I'm a 33, and the waistband on my raw pairs measures 16.5 - 17" laid flat (slightly different between the two pairs)... as does the waist on my 6-month-old pair that's received a hot soak and two warm washes.  Raw pairs measure 38" in the leg and will shrink to 36" (I hem them to about 34).

All three pairs feel the same around the waist (bit tighter on the 0901s because the higher rise means the waist sits further up), but the raw pairs are baggier around the thighs.  They're a genuine shrink-to-fit in that they will shrink a fair bit and then stretch back out where they need to, but not a whole lot further.  That is, they don't become saggy over time, needing a wash to tighten them back up — there's a little bit of give, but nowhere near as much as I get with Sugarcanes (for example)

So true to size on the shrunk measurements seems to be the way to go assuming I can get all the shrinkage out. Thanks for the help guys!

I'm planning on buying through Denimio and getting the jeans painted as well, how does everyone feel about pink battle stripes? 

So true to size on the shrunk measurements seems to be the way to go assuming I can get all the shrinkage out. Thanks for the help guys!

I'm planning on buying through Denimio and getting the jeans painted as well, how does everyone feel about pink battle stripes? 

Personally i think the battlestripes are overkill. I couldn't pull them off, the pink inseam is borderline for me as well.

Personally i think the battlestripes are overkill. I couldn't pull them off, the pink inseam is borderline for me as well.

See, I was never put off by the inseam, and I like the stripes. I think the pink color they use is a really great color, and the stripes are such a part of Momotaro to me, like Evisu's gulls.

See, I was never put off by the inseam, and I like the stripes. I think the pink color they use is a really great color, and the stripes are such a part of Momotaro to me, like Evisu's gulls.

It's just the style of clothing I wear. A pair of jeans with battle stripes would look awkward with a pair of brogues shoes IMO. But! I would definitely wear a pair of 0701

Just had my old 0905Sp in my hands. The  thread is still super pink on the inside but pretty much faded and not recognizable from the outside.