Japan Blue Momotaro

Klaas

Some quick close-ups today of the, super dark 15.7oz denim used on my Blue Owl x Momotaro BOM001-Midnight Warriors.

Only 1 month in and already incredible indigo variations, vertical falling and bursts of sparkling electric blue when the sun hits the denim!

These are by far the best pair of jeans I've owned x Stoked !  ~  B) ~ No filters used. True color in direct sunlight. 

2rfpis5.jpg

Direct sunlight + No Filters Used

2rfa96t.jpg

While absolutely great, the fabric is exactly the same as the one one the Vintage Label and GTB Label. So fabricwise it is not like a limited edition.

Detailing is though and I must say it is one of the better collabs Jay managed to get done with the folks at Momotaro.

Enjoy them!

You are absolutely right. I didn't learn that until after I had been wearing them for about a month.

I think the details are what I really like about them. I've always liked the GTB stripes but especially like them in black.

It's amazing how something as seemingly insignificant as the black stitching makes the denim seem so much darker.

But yes it is the same denim used in many other models by Momotaro.

Still love 'em anyways.  B)

Momotaro Denim jacket....14.5 oz. A few pics. Picked up from Rakuten for a reasonable price. It only took 4 days to get to New Jersey. I'm impressed...

7FA4FB0F-84D3-4AAC-835B-EF12D927CBA9_zps

Fab p-up! ... Here's mine @14mos= 5mos effective wear= 3 hot soaks

BB3D24EC-7FFE-4A86-864B-9D9CD62C8B2B.jpg

WxExY x Momo Type2 in "Copper"

Edited by BrownMetallic

I just got these Japan Blue x Blue Owl Workshop 16.5oz Deep Blue Unsanforized Monster Denim - JBO-410 during the Blue Owl sale this past weekend.  These have a deep dark blue warp with black weft.  The denim has great surface texture and feel.  This is my 2nd pair of Japan Blue jeans and feel they make a great jean for the $180 to $220 price range.  The details on this pair look great.  I'm anxious to see how this unsanforized denim reacts to the initial soak.  My one minor complaint would be the smallish size of the back leather patch. 

Pre-soak measurements

Tag Size = 36

Waist = 37.9

Front Rise = 11.0

Back Rise = 14.4

Thigh = 13.0

Hem = 7.75

Inseam = 37.25

I plan to soak them this weekend.

JBO-4103_zps1939f046.jpg

JBO-4101_zps214a58b3.jpg

JBO-4102_zps8fa3d74c.jpg

The Deep Blue Monsters are great! Only complaint is the tiny front pockets, but that is my only complaint about Japan Blue. The contest for them is coming to an end in about a month. Gonna do my first wash here in a few days after about 6.5-7 months of wear. Excited to see how they look after the wash.

-Edwin

I just got these Japan Blue x Blue Owl Workshop 16.5oz Deep Blue Unsanforized Monster Denim - JBO-410 during the Blue Owl sale this past weekend.  These have a deep dark blue warp with black weft.  The denim has great surface texture and feel.  This is my 2nd pair of Japan Blue jeans and feel they make a great jean for the $180 to $220 price range.  The details on this pair look great.  I'm anxious to see how this unsanforized denim reacts to the initial soak.  My one minor complaint would be the smallish size of the back leather patch. 

Pre-soak measurements

Tag Size = 36

Waist = 37.9

Front Rise = 11.0

Back Rise = 14.4

Thigh = 13.0

Hem = 7.75

Inseam = 37.25

JBO-4103_zps1939f046.jpg

Okay I soaked these last night for about one hour in very hot water.  Once dry they were super stiff.  You could stand them up on their own.  I'm wearing them around the house to get a little break-in going.  These are starting off very stiff and are probably the slimmest fit for me to date.  Definitely slimmer than my Iron Heart 555-01's and my Japan Blue Military Monster's (JBO412-ML).  Based on the Military Monster's that I have I expect them to stretch out in a couple of days.  The texture and look of the denim is great.  If you want a really dark, medium weight, slim jean with minimal contrast stitching and a narrow leg opening this would be a good choice.  I agree with ecsong187's comment about the small pocket bags.  A little bigger front pocket would be nice.  If you like bigger pockets I suggest either Pure Blue Japan or Strike Gold denim.  I've noticed that both of these brands have bigger pockets.  I heard these brands were made in the same factory so maybe they share pattern dies for their pockets?  Not sure on that???  Sorry for the weak mirror photo taken with my phone.

JBO-4104_zpsd85c8de6.jpg

Pre-soak measurements

Tag Size = 36

Waist = 37.9

Front Rise = 11.0

Back Rise = 14.4

Thigh = 13.0

Hem = 7.75

Inseam = 37.25

Okay I soaked these last night for about one hour in very hot water.  Once dry they were super stiff.  You could stand them up on their own.  I'm wearing them around the house to get a little break-in going.  These are starting off very stiff and are probably the slimmest fit for me to date.  Definitely slimmer than my Iron Heart 555-01's and my Japan Blue Military Monster's (JBO412-ML).  Based on the Military Monster's that I have I expect them to stretch out in a couple of days.  The texture and look of the denim is great.  If you want a really dark, medium weight, slim jean with minimal contrast stitching and a narrow leg opening this would be a good choice.  I agree with ecsong187's comment about the small pocket bags.  A little bigger front pocket would be nice.  If you like bigger pockets I suggest either Pure Blue Japan or Strike Gold denim.  I've noticed that both of these brands have bigger pockets.  I heard these brands were made in the same factory so maybe they share pattern dies for their pockets?  Not sure on that???  Sorry for the weak mirror photo taken with my phone.

POST SOAK MEASUREMENTS

Waist = 37.0

Front Rise = 10.75

Back Rise = 14.0

Thigh = 12.70

Hem = 7.60

Inseam = 35.5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Momos really are great jeans Max, the denim, cut, hardware, details... I was saying the same thing to b_F just yesterday. Wearing my unhemmed 0901s today as I'm working from home!

Mistral's pair is looking very good now.

Edited by Maynard Friedman

I might get a 0201 that fits when I need a new pair. In 2010 the brand was getting hyped and getting the backlash of the aiming at the european market (not to mention the confusion with Japan Blue), but I really think their standard 15,7 oz denim is on par with all the other famous brands and the SDA-like fading is just great.

Edited by Max Power

Wow m1stral, those are really nice. Never really been drawn to Momotaro, but those do look really nice. But if I didn't see who posted it, I would've thought it was Max. Fades look very similar.

Wow m1stral, those are really nice. Never really been drawn to Momotaro, but those do look really nice. But if I didn't see who posted it, I would've thought it was Max. Fades look very similar.

Wow. This is a great compliment, haha. Thanks for the kind words and all others for the +rep.

I really enjoy my pair nowadays. They started of kinda slow, also because I didn't wear them everyday. But they keep getting better.

Edited by M1stral

Hey guys,

After reading 40+ pages in this forum, I was comforted a bit, but want to get some input just to confirm. I recently bought a pair of 0705SP and realized that the top block is indeed VERY slim.. feels like my crotch can't breathe and it rides up my butt a bit. A few posters here said that Momotaro stretches to about 1 size which would be perfect I think. It fits like the picture below, but my butt's a little bigger....

Bap

I've broken in a single pair of denim but have never worn a pair in which the weave is so durable and strong that it feels like there's absolutely no give. I'm stuck debating either to just keep wearing them and hope that both regions will stretch out enough to be more comfortable or to just sell them.

A quick update.

Momotaro BOM001.

3 Months and fresh from 2nd wash.

They're really coming to life now. Love 'em!

*Please excuse the poor lighting...actually grey and overcast in L.A. today.

awzthw.jpg

2625rgo.jpg

I guess I don't pay much attention to trends or hype...I just really like a nice pair of jeans without too many frills and this original 2012 collab between Blue Owl x Momotaro is a winner in my book. 

The texture and variation in indigo is especially nice. Same denim also used in Momotaro's Vintage and GTB labels.

2jakjyq.jpg

Edited by Wörn75