Japan Blue Momotaro

Klaas

The 701 is what you should look into. Probably also some Japan Blue models, they run mostly pretty tight.

Nice advice Max. The 701 cut is my favourite among all my pairs of Japanese denim. I find it the perfect slim fit. And I'm rather skinny (62kg for 1.79m). So I would say that it's the perfect overall fit...for me.

So Ljkya

You may want to have a look at Pure Blue Japan and Strike Gold for skinnier fits too. @pbj their xx-011/12/13/17 cut is very slim. @sg their SGXX09 cuts are even slimmer. 

And if you want some Japan Blue stuff, I'm sure someone else will have some advice for you soon.

Cheers

Errr haha so i read a little and I heard that Japan Blue is a brand from momotaro that's made to be more affordable (correct me if I'm wrong) 

So i was wondering how does japan blue compare with pure blue japan? And is pure blue japan of comparable quality to Momotaro? Anyone care to share their insights? :)

*currently looking at pbjxx011/xx013 & jb0101*

So how is the 18oz denim on the 0305-50/0605-50 models? Has it been used on any other Momotaro jeans (kind of wondering how it compares to some of the great faded momotaro denim I've seen)?  Also, does anyone know what's up with either of those new cuts as far as why I don't see them on Momotaro's website or regular Japanese stocklists? Are these cuts exclusive to western retailers?

Edited by Curious_George

Hi guys I'm relatively new to denim and I'm very confused regarding the difference between the terms sanforized and one wash.

This is regarding the Momotaro 705SP "Going To Battle" model. Apparently it only comes in one-wash. But some threads have referred to them as sanforized instead of one-wash and that apparently affect the fading capability of the jeans..

What's the difference between Sanforized and One Wash? Is 705SP Sanforized or One Wash?? And lastly, how is the fading capability of the 705SP as compared to other Raw Momotaro denim?

Cheersss

Sanforized: Fabric is heatpressed between rollers to make the fabric shrink.

One Wash: Like the word says. Mostly in an industrial laundering process.

One Wash Momotaro's are washed in the sea, which adds valueble minerals to the fabric, according to the manufacturer. Afterwards they are hung to dry in the sun.

Yes, but nothing Major. Most one wash pairs, at least the GTB series, have had a pretty intense washing process (see the roping / pluckering). I never achieved that with just one gentle machine wash, so I suppose they're giving them the harsh treatment. I didn't get much shrinkage.

db_file_img_7444_600xauto.jpg

Got this awesome Momotaro Cardigan the other day at Blue Owl. I've been on the hunt for a cardigan for some time, but the fit/weight of this piece is perfect. It is indigo dyed and loopwheeled.

-Edwin

Yes it is indigo dyed so it will fade over time. The photos don't do it justice you've got to see it in person to see how amazing it is. It's also super soft. Perfect layering piece as it cools down here in Seattle.

-Edwin

Type: 0805SP

Worn : since March 2011, probably 10-11 months of effective wear

Washes: Three, first one around 6 months

These are approaching a year of wear and hardly needed any repair. The crotch is as good as new. Apart from the stitching on back pockets, I'm pretty impressed by the quality. The fact they're 'One wash' may help longevity.

Full pair shots were taken with flash. The 2 first shots are close to actual colours.

15175972083_6a9a706e08_c.jpg

15771742306_4cc9dfa7f4_c.jpg

15771741446_acd07a8b49.jpg15795412715_f18eb35205.jpg

15852113042_a50a4dc5ce_c.jpg15665216958_528ce4e497_c.jpg

Edited by vgadjo

Just hit 9 months of wear on my Japan Blues and figured I would post some quick pictures. I've washed them four times in the past couple of months, which has brought down the contrast quite a bit from the last update.

n19v1l.jpg

677ejq.jpg

Pocket is in dire need of repair:

29or5v5.jpg

sfjw3c.jpg

160d4k3.jpg

The warp is beginning to wear away a lot earlier than expected, especially with how often I've washed these. No signs of weakness in the crotch, but underneath the back pockets, on the hem, etc. things are degrading pretty quickly. Oh well!

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased a pair of the Japan Blue - JB0412-ML "military monster denim" in a size 36 from Okayama Denim during their Black Friday sale.  I paid $157.25.  The shipping turn around was 4 to 5 days.  The denim has a tight weave but with a lot of character.  This denim is very stiff.  Even though they are sanforized, I gave them a quick 40 minute soak which lead to some shrinkage.  They feel very crunchy for the first hour or so and then start to soften a little.  The denim felt lighter than what I was expecting for a 16.5 oz fabric.  The rise on these jeans at 10.5 post soak is a little shorter than what I usually wear but is working okay.  I normally wear Iron Heart 555-01's, Oni Denim 527ZR and Samurai S710BK in a size 36.  The fit is a little loose in the waist and then fairly snug the rest of the way down.  Leg opening post soak was around 7.8.  Which is on the tighter side for me.  I would say the fit is somewhat similar to The Stevenson Overalls La Jolla denim I have in size 34 but with a shorter rise and a much stiffer feel.   The color of the dark green weft is really nice but is not really visible from the warp side of the denim.  This is the first pair of Japan Blue denim I've purchased and I would say I'm impressed on the details and finish.  Sorry for the poor photos.

JapanBlueModelJB0412-ML1_zps8c757366.jpg

JapanBlueModelJB0412-ML2_zpsfb763f22.jpg