Japan Blue Momotaro

Klaas

Well the new fits are up at blue owl. Really was hoping they would be unsanforized. Its too bad.

I don't like the new details. So far the selvage listing is different. The patches went from leather to suede. I think I even saw the rope filled belt loops are gone, but I'm not too sure about that. Tabs are also missing, but this might have to do with legal stuff. Nah... I'll stick with Vintage Label.

I am being serious. I know Ande Whall did some jeans where he really put a piece of rope in the hem of the jeans and also in the belt loops to get the raised middle and to make them more sturdy.

From what I know, the usual "raised belt loop" is achieved by folding and then sewing the denim. Without anything inside. And I think that is how Momotaro and the other brands do it.

So yeah, I am a bit confused by your post earlier :D

I am being serious. I know Ande Whall did some jeans where he really put a piece of rope in the hem of the jeans and also in the belt loops to get the raised middle and to make them more sturdy.

From what I know, the usual "raised belt loop" is achieved by folding and then sewing the denim. Without anything inside. And I think that is how Momotaro and the other brands do it.

So yeah, I am a bit confused by your post earlier :D

Well. Either way. Rope filled or raised loops, the new denims don't seem to have it. As far as I can judge from the picture.

Given the belt loops on my 0701, they seem to have something in them...

Might want to cut open the belt loops on my pair of 0201's, when I'm feeling brave.

Might want to cut open the belt loops on my pair of 0201's, when I'm feeling brave.

That what I thought about too...but then...nah :D

Maybe some brands achieve the raised belt loop differentlly. In the Double Volante thread you can find that Warehouse were the first repro brand to make/use raised belt loops but I couldn't find info there about them being rope filled. I only knew about Ande Whall and after BM mentioned it, Artist Denim. I always thought they didn't have the right sewing machine to make "normal" raised belt loops 

A while back I had a little discussion with Anders about how he raised the beltloops on my Steel Feathers. He posted a pic of the sewingmachine on Instagram. It has an attachment that bunches the fabric up.

Thought I'd show it now you're discussing the different methods.

e014623c631511e38a0a0e3648b7bff4_8.jpg

I don't like the new details. So far the selvage listing is different. The patches went from leather to suede. I think I even saw the rope filled belt loops are gone, but I'm not too sure about that. Tabs are also missing, but this might have to do with legal stuff. Nah... I'll stick with Vintage Label.

Filled belt loops are still there, no tab not due to legality but just a change of pace. I think if a brand never tried new things everyone involved would get bored.

Allright... The product shot didn't make it very obvious.

While I agree with you on your comment, I think the Vintage, Copper and GTB Label all are solid products. In my opinion they should stick with that or keep detailing consistent over the whole line-up.

Nothing wrong with trying new things, but for instance... The old selvage listing was typical Momo. Don't feel that way with the new stuff.

I was thinking that the selvedge listing and the sanforization may have something to do with collect producing that 18oz fabric to sell to other companies, and not just make into momo. For instance left field is very soon rolling out some 18oz collect which I'm sure is Sanforized as well.

Edited by SuperJackle

The many different denims and collabs that JB/ Momotaro did and does seem somehow to diminish the value among the denimheads round here. You rarely see a pair of (Vintage label) Momotaros, though they are available almost everywhere and offer a wide range of cuts and high quality. Maybe the strong push towards the western market, the JB label and all the new fabrics lead to a over-saturation or reactance. Just a thought, as I think that the GTB / Vintage label offers similar fadings as SDA and thus seems underrepresented.

Maybe JB/ Momotaro has become more like a gateway brand and aims at that market through constantly new and "different" (and sanforized) fabrics in slim cuts.

Edited by Max Power