Japan Blue Momotaro

Klaas

Do whatever you feel like. If you do hem, soak em first if you ever plan on them touching water in the future. General posts like this are better placed in the small questions denim thread. Read the pinned threads before you do anything else. Loads of info in there.

Hey guys so I'm really new to this all.

Currently working on a generic pair of levi's 501 STFs, bought TTS without soaking to see how it'll turn out.

I recently bought a pair of momotaro vintage label 0701s at one of those online summer sales.

So... from what I've been reading you're suppose to size down on raw denim cuz they stretch but size up if its unsanforized because it will shrink on washes so (with 32inches being my true waist measurement) I went for the size 32 which measures at 33 waist according to the website.

My questions is this,

from what i hear you're supposed to delay any soaking or washing for as long as possible,

but if length is too long,

and I'm not supposed to hem before wash,

should I give it an initial soak? or do I just live with the length and roll it up or something?

Thanks all!

First off, congratz on getting some decent denim. Size recommendation on 0701 is TTS or +1. Latter is recommended, though TTS is doable is you're a "skinny" dude.

Thigh measurements are crucial. So, make sure this area fits after it has shrunk. Shrinkage expected is 1 to 1.5" in waist, 2 to 2.5" in length and between 0.25 and 0.5" everywhere else.

For hemming...

Hot soak/wash and hem afterwards to desired length or if you are planning to rock them raw then just hem them with a bit of extra length (shrinkage taken into account). Either cuff or stack during the period of wearing raw.

Well...there has been an embarrassing turn of events.

So i jsut received my 0701s today.

and to my horror, I could not do the last button.

the consequences of lack of research and online shopping I suppose.

What would be the solution to this?

Would soaking them and the wearing/ stretching them damp help?

I was able to stretch my greencast NF skinny guys after some wear,

but I suspect with the heavier dense denim its not a s feasible...

Anyone have any suggestions?

The denim is beautiful nonetheless.

Well...there has been an embarrassing turn of events.

So i jsut received my 0701s today.

and to my horror, I could not do the last button.

the consequences of lack of research and online shopping I suppose.

What would be the solution to this?

Would soaking them and the wearing/ stretching them damp help?

I was able to stretch my greencast NF skinny guys after some wear,

but I suspect with the heavier dense denim its not a s feasible...

Anyone have any suggestions?

The denim is beautiful nonetheless.

Don't worry, I could not button the last 2 buttons when I bought the jeans. After 2 weeks,the jeans will stretch and you can button:)

Don't worry, I could not button the last 2 buttons when I bought the jeans. After 2 weeks,the jeans will stretch and you can button:)

You couldn't button them in raw state?

I guess you're out of luck then. The denim will shrink a fair bit after a wash and the denim is very tightly woven. I'd suggest a size up or rocking them raw for a long, long, long time.

You couldn't button them in raw state?

I guess you're out of luck then. The denim will shrink a fair bit after a wash and the denim is very tightly woven. I'd suggest a size up or rocking them raw for a long, long, long time.

Oh no... well I've been wearing them wihtout the top button done...

Will buttoning up while the jeans are damp be a possible solution?

Don't be so ignorant. If they don't fit presoak, they surely won't fit post soak. All the stretch you manage to get now will be countered when washed. A little stretch would be no problem, but not being able to button them up sure is.

Sorry that's just what happen to my 0701. I didn't mean to be ignorant

darym, nice! thats not the most destroyed pair, but easily the best pair ive seen of japan blue. and hands down the best whiskering ive seen from them.

when was the first time you let them touch water? i wonder if theres a trick to that with japan blue.

my 100sps havent seen much play lately. been big on my 0101's. i like the jean, but ive soaked them early on, which i think may have been good? but since then ive been caught out there in a couple of pretty bad monsoon storms.. think- drenched like wearing your jeans in the shower. now theyre all floppy and soft :( but still wear them just about everyday..

DSC06540.jpgDSC06542.jpg

Recent purchase. I wonder will this 0702 stretch on the waist? The thigh area is ok but the waist is tight. Manage to button up to the top on the 2nd day but having difficulties when siting down. Should i sell it to get a new one or will the waist stretch? And also worried that the button might break too. Anyone who have experience can advice. Thnks in advance

Edited by MKMKMK

woah thanks for the compliments there jus schilling !

i totally forgot the exact time, i soaked them first after 6months or so.

dont think too much about it, just wear em hard ;)

btw if youre looking for the whiskers u should upsize it. i accidentally choose a bigger size lol

MKMKMK

well if you like the fit then you should wait for it to stretch.

maybe its gonna be like 3-4 days more

dont worry just wear em :)

*sorry for the dopost

The reason why I get size 30 for 0702 cos my 0705 size 31 stretch till quite big. So I decided to downsize for 0702 and the waist part is super tight. Just a little concern about the stretching ability and the button might break. Thks for your feedback.

Mine stretched to the perfect fit! I think you should be fine as long as they fit right on the thighs.

Good to hear that. was really afraid it wont stretch on the waist and worried about the button breaking.(had a bad experience on my apc when i down size too much and the button break)

darym, nice! thats not the most destroyed pair, but easily the best pair ive seen of japan blue. and hands down the best whiskering ive seen from them.

when was the first time you let them touch water? i wonder if theres a trick to that with japan blue.

my 100sps havent seen much play lately. been big on my 0101's. i like the jean, but ive soaked them early on, which i think may have been good? but since then ive been caught out there in a couple of pretty bad monsoon storms.. think- drenched like wearing your jeans in the shower. now theyre all floppy and soft :( but still wear them just about everyday..

try a 45mins warm/hot soak, then hang to dry.

The reason why I get size 30 for 0702 cos my 0705 size 31 stretch till quite big. So I decided to downsize for 0702 and the waist part is super tight. Just a little concern about the stretching ability and the button might break. Thks for your feedback.

if you checked the measurements before you ordered you' would've found out that the 702s are under-sized compared to the 701s [... or prolly other 700 models] hence, if you TTSed, you would've been right on.

anyway, have you soaked already? if yes, & you don't have any other issues 'cept the waist, then it's still doable__ possibly even end up with a nice slimmer fit,__ ie, if that's what you were aiming for.

the waistband is still rigid & stiff__ w/c makes the waist feel even tighter. @this point you need to "break" the waistband by conditioning/tempering the fabric. denim is fully sanforized, so there's no other natural tendency, but for it to stretch out

i've mentioned [this] technique a few times here already, but, anyway ....get a stick or hanger that's about the same measurement as the current [ie, stretched-out] waist.

every time you soak, jam that stick against the [buttoned up] waistband & keep it there until they fully dry.

the purpose is to nail down the waistband to 'absolute" [current, worn, stretched] measurement while allowing the rest of the jeans to cure/temper/shrink on queue [as normal]. keep the routine until the fabric softens up & stabilizes.

also, it'll lessen the chances of effing up the top button__ since there's less flux @waistband, there's less pressure on the button cuz you don't need to constantly force-stretch to button up ever time you soak/wash.

Edited by BrownMetallic