good reggaeton

fadingblue

well i searched this forum and apparently there is no reggaeton thread (at least on superculture) so i thought i would start it

today as i was looking thru my itunes library i noticed all my reggaeton songs are kind of old and my newest addition dates as "Added October 25, 2006" so i thought i need something new

reggaeton forums are no good, theyre usually snobs and assholes

heres what i like Voltio, Calle 13, Tego Calderon, Eddie Dee

im just curious to know if anyone else is into it?

i will gladly recommend some songs to if anyone wants any or whatever

speaking as a puerto rican, i think most reggaeton out there is super-fucking garbage.

actually, i don't listen to any reggaeton at all.

however, i have a lot of respect for Tego Calderon, because i know for a fact a lot of his music touches on issues that most other artists don't go near.

good luck on yr search.

well yea, i mean most of those wisin y yandel, zion y lennox and daddy yankee songs that are club music and are aimed towards teenage girls are crap, but so is D4L and Dem Franchise Boyz, but that doesnt mean the genre is spoiled.

im more into the gangsta reggaeton

get "censurarme por ser rapero" by Eddie Dee

its a dope song

hes got flow

• 3 weeks later...

FIrst of all...

This people don't know shit about reggaeton...

IM dominican and i've been listening to reggaeton since the "playero" days so no, it isn't some new shit.

You really in the wrong forum. This question is never going to be answered by all the snooby, elitist, asians in this forum. They don't know about no spanish shit.

There's plenty of good reggaeton though. The new hector "el father" shit is type hot. Daddy yankee is suppose to come out with some shit soon. Im not a big fan of his, but it's suppose to feature eminem and some other big names. Check the reggaeton sites, they usually got plenty of info.

Guest StuckOnStupid
FIrst of all...

You really in the wrong forum. This question is never going to be answered by all the snooby, elitist, asians in this forum. They don't know about no spanish shit.

ahahahahahahahahahahaha

FIrst of all...

IM dominican and i've been listening to reggaeton since the "playero" days so no, it isn't some new shit.

There's plenty of good reggaeton though. The new hector "el father" shit is type hot. Daddy yankee is suppose to come out with some shit soon. Im not a big fan of his, but it's suppose to feature eminem and some other big names. Check the reggaeton sites, they usually got plenty of info.

"Jew know y they call me Peoples?"

speaking as a Puerto Rican, I ahve to say that I agree with the idea that there is no good reggaeton.

I feel as though its an uninvited guest that yells at me constantly.

basing an entire genre off of one reggae riddim for over a decade is really fucking boring.

speaking as a Puerto Rican, I ahve to say that I agree with the idea that there is no good reggaeton.

I feel as though its an uninvited guest that yells at me constantly.

wow..that is such a great way of putting it.

reggaeton has gotta be the easiest ish ever to beat match

All reggaeton music has the same beat, and no I'm not being ignorant.

Thats the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread.

dun...dun-dun-dun dun...dun-dun-dun

I'm not saying that reggaeton as whole genre isn't good because I can only judge from the stuff played at parties or on the radio. That's like judging the whole entire history of hip hop based on Yung Joc.

All reggaeton music has the same beat, and no I'm not being ignorant.

You're definetly asking this on the wrong forum.

Yes, you are been ignorant. If all the beats sound the same, then it's cause you don't know what you are talking about.

How you say this

http://youtube.com/watch?v=b6SyAb-08M8

Sounds like this

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qNpBLpSHRMs

Yes, you are been ignorant. If all the beats sound the same, then it's cause you don't know what you are talking about.

How you say this

http://youtube.com/watch?v=b6SyAb-08M8

Sounds like this

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qNpBLpSHRMs

Wooooowwwww buddddyyyyy-

all reggaeton is based off of the same dancehall riddim, "Dem Bow".

every single motherfucking reggaeton song is based off of the exact same

beat. every single one. it doesn't mean that every single note and percussion

hit is exactly the same, but the unavoidable fact is that 99.9% of reggaeton is

built on the foundation of taking the "Dem Bow" instrumental and adding/subtracting

various sounds, and then either speeding up or slowing down the BPM.

sooooooo- an entire genre based on ONE fucking riddim? alright, "Dem Bow" is

a tight, classic riddim, but come on.... you've got to admit that's kinda retarded.

dude listen to don omar - bandolero, tego or voltio and they sound nothing like most shit music you see on telemundo, the clubs or whatever

what you guys are doing is like saying hiphop is trash because youve only heard "walk it out" or "lean wit it rock wit it" or saying rock is bad because the only rock youve heard is fallout fucking boy

good reggaeton??

THAT'S AN OXYMORON!!! loll

but i've been an avid fan of 'spanish rap' for many years already, kinda ironic since now that reggaeton has hit the mainstream it really sucks...some commercial artists I would recommend are definitely calle 13, don omar, tego calderon, orishas, ivy queen, and don dinero lol i just have love for don dinero because he's cubano

next I would say look for some old dj playero mixes he was heavy in the scene back in the day and although it is still party music it's the shit lol

cypress hill has a cd of their greatest hits recorded in spanish, and artists like the beatnuts, tony touch, and thirstin howl regularly include spanish in their songs now. I would say NORE but he was at his best in the 90's

Wooooowwwww buddddyyyyy-

all reggaeton is based off of the same dancehall riddim, "Dem Bow".

every single motherfucking reggaeton song is based off of the exact same

beat. every single one. it doesn't mean that every single note and percussion

hit is exactly the same, but the unavoidable fact is that 99.9% of reggaeton is

built on the foundation of taking the "Dem Bow" instrumental and adding/subtracting

various sounds, and then either speeding up or slowing down the BPM.

sooooooo- an entire genre based on ONE fucking riddim? alright, "Dem Bow" is

a tight, classic riddim, but come on.... you've got to admit that's kinda retarded.

Im now conviced you are an idiot.

Are you really from the bronx? WOW.

So i guess all rap/hip-hop have the same beat right? AFter all, the drum track is usually the same. Miles Davis had a drum beat that is strangely similar to the drum sample used in like every rap song in the nineties. Does that mean that it is retarted?

A beat DOES NOT CONSIST OF ONLY THE DRUM PART. That is the only part that stays constant from song to song. If it didn't, HOW THE FUCK WOULD PEOPLE DANCE TO THIS SHIT? Every song would be it's own dance genre. The drum marks time and sets the rhythm, it's what makes reggaeton reggaeton.

Listen to Indian classical music, and you might think all that shit sounds the same. Listen to baroque or anything from the classical period of european music, and unless it's a famous piece, it will problaby sound the same to you. In fact, if you aren't exposed to something you will lack the ability to differentiate between two of anything.

So yes, saying all reggaeton sounds the same is ignorant.

born and bred, baby. believe it.

also believe that you're dealing with someone who has 8 years of formal training in music theory and instrument lessons.

all rap music does not have the same beat. the drum track is not usually the same in rap music. Golden Era rap music's sampling of Miles Davis' drums does not mean that

rap music is retarded.

a beat does not only consist of the drum pattern, true. the drum pattern is what is consistent between many reggaeton songs, correct. this is what i was clearly referring to. i made no reference to any instrumental embellishments, in fact, i perfectly delineated what i was talking about. your inability to read is not my fault.

how would people dance to music if the drum patterns weren't consistent from song to song? shit, i don't know- when you go to the club, do you listen to only songs that have the exact same drum pattern? well, you may, since you listen to reggaeton. but normal people, who listen to other music, are fully capable of dancing to a wide variety of songs that have different tempos and drum patterns. a good DJ will perform the act of 'beat-matching' throughout his set. and that is how the fuck people dance to that shit.

songs with different drum patterns do not represent a different genre, because a drum pattern does not a genre make.

drums mark time and set the rhythm, right? well, what the fuck did i say? that all reggaeton songs are based on the same riddim, "Dem Bow". Riddim, gee, what non-patois word does that sound like... oooohhh, riiiight, rhythm. you schmuck.

Indian ragas don't all sound the same, i know.

Classical music doesn't all sound the same, i know.

i've had plenty of exposure to reggaeton, and i know my point is valid. all reggaeton is based on the same dancehall riddim, called "Dem Bow". peep this article, which goes through in-depth on explaining the use of the "Dem Bow" riddim in reggaeton, and how much of a debt the entire genre owes to ONE 'song'.

http://riddimmethod.net/?p=62

saying reggaeton all sounds the same is not ignorant. it is the truth. i have predicated my scale for "sameness" as the fact that it is all based on one dancehall riddim, and i am right. you are wrong.

please walk away calmly.

you've just had your mind raped.

eat an apple.

listen to some Bach, or some Prandit Pran Nath.

and do the universe a favor,

and study up the scriptures before

you try to test god.

how would people dance to music if the drum patterns weren't consistent from song to song? shit, i don't know- when you go to the club, do you listen to only songs that have the exact same drum pattern? well, you may, since you listen to reggaeton. but normal people, who listen to other music, are fully capable of dancing to a wide variety of songs that have different tempos and drum patterns. a good DJ will perform the act of 'beat-matching' throughout his set. and that is how the fuck people dance to that shit.

songs with different drum patterns do not represent a different genre, because a drum pattern does not a genre make.

First of all, I have 8+ years of formal musical training too. I say 8+ cause im still in it. So that doesn't impress me.

NO. In DANCE genre's the pulse and drive must be similar for it to be danceable. For example, jazz.

In bebop-hardbop-postbop (etc)The drum might play something wildly diferent from tune to tune. That's because it isn't dance music. In swing, the drum and bass must mantain a stedy pulse and rhythm so dancers can dance.

Any dance music from swing to techno, MUST have a steady pulse and some instruments, or synths (like bass and drums) outlining the beats. It is what keeps order and makes something danceable.

Don't belive me? Try dancing to avant-garde.

And notice i never said drum patterns make genres. I said if every reggaeton song had a different drum track, every song would be it's own DANCE genre.

In reggaeton, anything can be played and sound like reggaeton as long as it has the drum track. The drum track isn't what needs to change from beat to beat, it's everything else.

Let's take salsa for example. It can be played in many tempos and still be danceable.

But somethings have to remain there from song to song in order for it to be danceable AS SALSA. Such as the clave.

Everybody knows reggaeton is based on the dembow riddim...SO WHAT.

It was expanded to accomodate a whole genre. It isn't the first time a song suggest or starts a genre.

Your point would be WAYYY more valid if we where talking ONLY about the playero era. Now, it is only ignorant. According to your logic, if every reggaeton track has the same beat, then so does every hip hop track.

You can't mind rape me, im wearing a mental chastity belt.

I will own you just like ozawa vs dizon thread.

Reggeaton over here is generally played in certain small clubs. it really seems to be associated to a certain race over here. N they people who generally lisents to it are the gangsters. Not very big over here in asia.

i think we're kind of arguing from two different schools of thought here, similar to the whole leah and dizon thing...

all i've got to say is that, on my side, the total dependence on 'dem bow' makes reggaeton very, very boring to me. and thus, i find that it all sounds too same-y.

because it runs deeper than say, house music being predicated on a rigid 4/4

time signature- at least most good artists willingly try to work creatively within the confines of the time signature, solely in terms of drum patterns and dynamics.

also, in my world, dance music isn't solely defined by a standard drum pattern or

time signature. it just isn't, i certainly didn't learn that way, and that's not the way i

think of music at all. dance music is defined by rhythm, yeah, but the point is to vary

that rhythm within the constraints of your genre, not to just throw the same drum pattern up onto the track and then build your song from there.

let's take salsa as an example for sure, i'm puerto rican, we can talk salsa- there are sooooo many salsa rhythms out there, tons tons tons... do artists re-use many of them? for sure. is there only one rhythm that everybody starts off with when composing a song? no. and that is why reggaeton bores me. (oh, and of course we know that when talking about salsa we're talking about salsa dura, not that romantica shit that makes me sad inside.)

I like reggaeton. It's obnoxious, it's loud, and it's fun to dance to. And girls like it. Sure, there's a bunch of derivative, boring shit out there - but that goes for any genre of music.

I mean, how much horrible rock, r&B, and hip-hop are we subjected to on a daily basis. All of Beyonce's songs might not be based off of "Dem Bow," but fuck me if they don't bore me to tears. The same goes for most pop-punk, emo, new rock, and hip-hop.

It seems to me like the majority of Latin music is very beat driven and usually keeps the same speed. It's designed to make you dance, and keep it easy for you. And with good reason - Latina girls know how to dance! I'm okay with anything that inspires that. I don't have any music training - this is just what I hear.

And when you compare Reggaeton against the sheer tedium of (not all, but most) house & electronic music, then it's like sunshine on a rainy day.