BAPE is definitely mainstream

hifashion

Yea I was watching 106 & Park a while ago and LIL WAYNE was rocking the bapestas and the sleeveless hoodie with the rhinestones. Then in the new video he is rocking a hooded bape rhinestone sweatshirt and in Birdman' s new vid he has on a black Bape hoodie. So it is definitely mainstream

Quote:

u know if the camo waffle knit he had on in the Destiny's Child video is (B)Ape? I suspected for a while...

--- Original message by MilSpex on Apr 18, 2005 05:07 PM

you know i cannot remember but if it comes on again at some point i will have to check it. yes 112 had on bape like 2 weeks ago too

yeh Nigo made Beastie Boys action figures like 5 years ago. Nigo and the Beasties have been down since before that.

2000AD Hectic Homeboys Lace Themselfs on a Daily Basis

Be Advised: Morgan Nixon AKA Moman631 AKA Moman6040 is a fraud.

Even though celebrities are rockin Bape, most of the stuff is still pretty unaccesible in the US (in terms of price and location) to common kiddies as opposed to other 'street' brands. Until it's available at the local mall, I don't think it's gonna be THAT craze.

Edited by Bing Bing on Apr 18, 2005 at 07:51 PM

i am new to the board.but i had to reply to this post.i am sooo anti-bape..they are raping these kids for their money..they should be penalized..i feel like its a crime...he has these kids out here buying these highly overpriced hoodies and crap..ugh..

..i dont even like going into the store..posers galore..

their t-shirts..horrible quality t-shirts..stiff as alll hell..jeans..horrid looking jeans..from what i have seen..the shoes...ok..the shoes maybe are a good quality..im not sure.for i've never bought a pair..and will never buy a pair..but the whole brand is overrated...

nigo..i think thats the guy who created the brand right??nigo..is a genius.

and yes i agree..they are definitely mainstream..however..i do not think that it is going to affect their sales...these kids are brainwashed and convinced..that because pharell jay-z lil wayne and fabolous wear it..its the cool thing for them too.lol...

SORRY..im just anti-bape.

DOMdomDOMdomDOMMM

praying and hoping that Nigo will keep with his extremely small quantities so i don't have to see Bape completely fall off.

I mean he is already been doing really well without hitting the US market hard, i just hope we don't see Bape everywhere, it will loose it's fun faster than Von Dutch

but i really don't care

Just when I thought this was one of the better forums around, this thread disproves my preconceptions. While I have observed that there a number of mature people on here, there seems to be a relevant amount of bandwagon riding kids talking about Bape like this forum was Niketalk.

Please excuse these cynical views on my first post!

• 2 months later...
Quote:

http://zubeteru1.free.fr/Bape%20Sounds%20Allsta!!!%20High%20%20By%20Zujin%20From%20JL2S.WMV

--- Original message by Mbrand on Jul 17, 2005 06:33 AM

"ekshclusivity yu know" hehe . I think I still have the "ape sounds" cd somewhere, it's actually how I first heard about Nigo....Anybody who listens to that can't say the hiphop connection wasn't there from the start.

BTW I think it's important to put things in perspective:

1) The Japanese language doesn't even have a word for sellout

2) Critical success in any field is seen as irrelevant, partly because an independent reviewing system DOESN'T EXIST in Japan for fields like fashion, music, movies, etc.

3) Therefore success=sales, what sells the most is the better product

4)So while a lot of posters may be disappointed that Nigo has "sellout" to the mainstream, for Japanese people, including hipsters, his success is probably a source of pride and an acknowledgement that the products he puts out are good which might lead to a revitalization of the brand in Japan.

In other words Japanese people have an almost inexistent conterculture/underground movement and success can only be found in the mainstream, for exemple the common modus operandi is for people to pick up looks in mags and replicate them, and designers seek success in that area. Nigo never sold out or was always a sellout depending on what your take on it is...

don't think BAPE is mainstream; the mtv mainstream def wants it, but for the most part can't get it.

agree with the idea that you should wear whatever you want, there are no rules to what you can/can't wear.

that being said, the reason I wouldn't buy/wear BAPE is that its recycled. nothing new, nothing even classic, its just pretty standard products/graphics/cuts/quality (more or less) with "good" marketing and pop-type logos. also the fact that the price for the product is not tied to an exceptional level of quality and is simply a function of limited supply doesn't sit well with me.