Shopping in Beunos Aires

SuperCassette

I didn't do a ton of shopping when I was in B.A., but all of your high-end designers (Louis V, Versace, etc.) are in and around La Recoleta. Start there and I'm sure you'll find something. You could check the malls, which house a lot of Argentinian national desginers, as well as Lacoste, Yves St L., Zara, etc.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
okay, i'm bumping this thread because there's a good chance i'm going to be in buenos aires in few weeks. i've heard you can get quality leather goods at a good price over there. could anyone confirm? any tips?

Argentina has a huge cattle industry and subsequently, a huge leather goods industry. Alot of damn cool places in Buenos Aires that I have seen mentioned in various fashion/art mags have been equestrian-related shops. There are alot of custom boot makers, etc. that provide a multitude of leather goods, often handmade and extremely ornate/intricate. I know there has been several posts on Styleforum regarding shopping in Argentina, so I would check those out.........guess it depends on what type of leather goods you are interested in (boots? belts? jackets?)......

One area I do know of is Calle Florida (Florida street), which is a big shopping area famous for deals on leather goods, etc. (in addition to other clothing/electronics/what have you).

thanks for the superinfo england! found some good info on SF. i'm basically interested in all of the above (jackets, shoes, belts) if they are going to be good deals. hopefully, i can come back from the trip with some good additions to the shoes that get better with age thread and the leather evolution thread.

what i think i'm really hoping to find is some grumpy old old-school type of guy who can make a killer leather jacket, leather boot or leather belt kind of thing. rather than mallish places like you're saying, if possible. i mean, designer stuff won't be bad either at lower prices, but i think at the end of the day, i'd like something more bespoke. any leads?

• 3 weeks later...

so far, i've been pleasantly surprised by what i'm calling the three m's: malbec (awesome red wine from the mendoza region that goes well with food), miga (tea sandwich, they also call) and mate ( a tea-like drink drank out of special cups with straws).

the weather here has been awesome. but it's summer here right now. if you come on your summer break, it might be winter here. even though i've heard it never dips below the 40s here.

the exchange rate is ridiculously good. it´s about a dollar to every three pesos here, but the price of many things in pesos are just like the dollars in the states. (if a coffee costs about 3 or 4 dollars in the states, they could only cost about 3 or 4 pesos here.) thus many of the things cost just about a third of the price for me.

not a lot of denim here right now. the only denim i've recognized on people are seven for mankinds. but that's probably because there are many american tourists here. because of the exchange rate.

lots of leather supplies. but they are mostly tailored to the mainstream audience. so lots of jackets and wallets and shoes that are great deals if you were comparing them to banana republics or h&m's. but if you were comparing them to redmoons and vintage schotts or langlitzs and aldens, i don't know where to go, yet.

lots of fake boobs. but since there are so many of them and they actually look good, my stance on fake boobs are teetering a bit.

great restaurants at awesome price. but i've been eating so heavily that i'm sure i've gained some weight since i've been here.

these are few things i've noticed in the past couple of days. :D

thanks dude. helpful as always. isnt argentina the country that there are free clinic style plastic surgeries. as a meat eater the streak recomendation sounds great. also i havent developed an affinity for leather so i dont know if this will shake me any way.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

hello, i am going to buenos aires in 2 months, gonna be there for about a week, and i was wondering where is the best area to stay to optimize my visit. i have a knack for chosing the cheap places that are a bit out of the way so if someone could help point me in the right direction i would appreciate it.

showplotphpel5.jpg

oh and by point me in the right direction i mean bust out the MS paint and put a star on the good spots.

depending on your preferences, you can either share a room in hostel for really cheap ($10 a night but its like $20-30 a night for a single room and your own bathroom) or think about renting an apartment. palermo viejo, but particularly parlermo soho, is kind of a trendy area so rental rates are on the rise but you should be able to find a really nice apartment in recoleta. look on craigslist buenos aires

• 6 months later...

if your thinking the northern hemisphere summer think cold in buenos aires...sights...not too much rediculously tight things to see. neighboorhoods i guess...palermo, recoleta, puerto madero...mabye a bit of sam telmo, the boca is shit, to much tourist vibe. i recommend you eating lots of beef is what i recommend you do...and many other things as well for that matter, lots of excellent restaurants..just ask if your looking for something special.

i didn't spend long enough time to give you an in-depth recommendation. but i pretty muuch second zim in terms of there were many good places to eat in argentina however if you're looking for quality leather goods like the stuff we see in our shoe thread or leather evo thread, you could be a bit disappointed. if you're thinking more along the terms of br or ken cole, then you could be a happy shopper.

but definitely try the malbec wines. and if you have the time, try the ones that are aged as opposed to the ones that are pretty recent.