Longboards,Carveboards,Sidewalk Surfing ...

__Nicholas

attachment.php?attachmentid=2557&d=1088516347

attachment.php?attachmentid=2558&d=1088516577

attachment.php?attachmentid=2604&d=1088843169

Decks:

Landyachtz Drop Carve

Landyachtz Da Thug

Kebbek Flushcut

Trucks:

Randal 180cm + DH Baseplate (on Flushcut), Randal 150cm +45 deg baseplate on Dropcarve, Seismic 155cm /45 deg on Da Thug

Wheels:

Abec 11 Flywheel gen2 83mm 81a / Exkate m80 80mm 78a (Flushcut)

Abec 11 Flywheel gen1 74mm 78a (Dropcarve)

Kryptonics 76mm 78a (Da Thug)

Bearings:

NiNja Ceramix / Rockets Ceramics (Flushcut)

Rockets Ceramics (Drop Carve)

NiNja 7/s / NiNja Mini-Miser (Da Thug)

curious...Is the board too large at time? ie getting on the train, or when your going down the street around people (compared to a skateboard). I was thinking of getting a skateboard, but this looks really interesting

The thing is, a lot of people are narrow-minded and/or misunderstand the definition and purpose of a longboard. Longboards are not defined by its actual length, but rather its wheelbase. Compared to a regular skateboard, a longboard's trucks sit further away from each other on the deck, giving the board more stability and allowing the rider to "bomb" a hill faster and more safely than a skateboard can. It's not to say that that's the only thing a longboard can do though. There are many applications for them, which is why decks will vary in length and construction.

So to answer your question, it would really depend on the type of longboard you're getting. A mini-longboard can run as short as 22'', (which is even shorter than the typical 31.25'' skateboard), and is easy cruise in, and would be more than able to navigate around people, in crowded streets even. Pool/Vert boards usually 28-34'', slalom boards (TS/GS series) around 30-36'' ,all around cruising-carving-bombing boards run 40-48'', and specialized downhill boards are in the +40" range and are usually made of heavier maple wood for stability.

The thing is, a lot of people are narrow-minded and/or misunderstand the definition and purpose of a longboard. Longboards are not defined by its actual length, but rather its wheelbase. Compared to a regular skateboard, a longboard's trucks sit further away from each other on the deck, giving the board more stability and allowing the rider to "bomb" a hill faster and more safely than a skateboard can. It's not to say that that's the only thing a longboard can do though. There are many applications for them, which is why decks will vary in length and construction.

So to answer your question, it would really depend on the type of longboard you're getting. A mini-longboard can run as short as 22'', (which is even shorter than the typical 31.25'' skateboard), and is easy cruise in, and would be more than able to navigate around people, in crowded streets even. Pool/Vert boards usually 28-34'', slalom boards (TS/GS series) around 30-36'' ,all around cruising-carving-bombing boards run 40-48'', and specialized downhill boards are in the +40" range and are usually made of heavier maple wood for stability.

ahh, nice info. I guess i'll go down to the local skate shop and see what best suits me.

• 3 weeks later...

chim- the bamboo vanguard is my dream board...looks unreal.

paradigm_shift- drop carves are bomb. two of my friends have them and they're perfect for all around everything. plus the guys at landyachtz are awesome.

As for me

Original torpedo deck

Randal rII 180s

Beaten on Krypto classic Ks, 70mm i believe

and some shitty ABEC 5s that have pretty much seized from sliding too much

chim- the bamboo vanguard is my dream board...looks unreal.

paradigm_shift- drop carves are bomb. two of my friends have them and they're perfect for all around everything. plus the guys at landyachtz are awesome.

As for me

Original torpedo deck

Randal rII 180s

Beaten on Krypto classic Ks, 70mm i believe

and some shitty ABEC 5s that have pretty much seized from sliding too much

i've ridden everything from landyachtz to insect dragonflys, and I have to say that nothing feels like a bamboo vanguard. I have the 38" in a flex 5, and riding that thing is just phenomenal.

i've ridden everything from landyachtz to insect dragonflys, and I have to say that nothing feels like a bamboo vanguard. I have the 38" in a flex 5, and riding that thing is just phenomenal.

Maybe its because its made of bamboo? Bamboo is really lively, so I can see where you're coming from, it's really hard not to like. Even Sector 9 makes a bamboo board worth buying (and that's saying alot for Sector 9, lol), you should try it out. Has a nice surf-style feel to it. As far as the Loaded Vanguard, that's a pretty nice board as well, but I'm not too crazy about the flex. You can get them with less flex from Loaded though right?

Can someone recommend a good setup that doesn't cost to much.

I've some experience in skateboarding and surfing and want to use the board for cruising and transportation........

How much were you looking to spend? A decent full setup in the US would cost you roughly $120-150. In that price range, I'd recommend something from Landyachtz, I'm partial to the Haida Pintail, though I'm not sure if that would be available where you are. Since you're in Europe, I'd check out Wefunk longboards. German made, custom crafted, and (imho) the nicest longboards I've ever seen.

Wefunk site:

http://www.wefunk.de/skateboards/

You can also check www.silverfishlongboarding.com for ideas / places to order from.

Feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any other questions.

I really hate longboards, the kind that are 45" long and shaped like a surfboard.

That said, my cruiser setup is:

-Black Label Christian Hosoi Rising Sun Deck

-Independent Stage 9 169mm Trucks

-72mm 78a Wheels

-Crappy Lucky Bearings

Good for cruising, but I'll probably switch out the softies for some G-Bones and get some Bones Swiss in the near future.

Nicholas, I'm really feeling your setup with the G-Bones and Ceramics.

anyone tried out those "sidewinder" trucks? im not sure if anyone but sector 9 uses them, theyre pretty much a truck on top of a truck if you can imagine that, two sets of bushings, two kingpins. theyre really weird shit, cut your turning radius in half (to make it closer to hard hard surfboard carving i suppose)

not sure how i feel about them, its almost like you have too much turn, feels like stable, at speed i can make tighter turns on normal trucks than with "sidewinders"

Hey guys, i kinda got my first real design job as a deck designer for flexdex (i didnt know what a longboard was until i got the job -_-)...

im pretty excited because they say i have free reign in working with their wierd clear boards.

it seems that there isnt a lot of artwork that im familar with in longboards. Is there any favorite designs that you guys have?

Thanks

Paradigm shift, are you on silverfishlongboard? probably.

Anyways we should make superfuture longboards. im in socal too.

we could be an awesome force. you dig

Yes I am, though I only visit so often nowadays, I'll PM you my info in a moment. And yes, I dig, hopefully we can gather some California heads to ride one of these days, I need some inspiration to get back on it and learn to do some proper power slides.

anyone tried out those "sidewinder" trucks? im not sure if anyone but sector 9 uses them, theyre pretty much a truck on top of a truck if you can imagine that, two sets of bushings, two kingpins. theyre really weird shit, cut your turning radius in half (to make it closer to hard hard surfboard carving i suppose)

not sure how i feel about them, its almost like you have too much turn, feels like stable, at speed i can make tighter turns on normal trucks than with "sidewinders"

They sound like torsion trucks from Exkate or Original. They really are more of a specialized truck for carving more than anything, and I wouldnt want to try taking them downhill unless you like the taste of concrete. If you want more of an all around truck with gradual turning, you can always try Randal's or Crails, or you could try and replace your current bushings with urethane of a higher durometer rating.

• 3 months later...

how about some recommendations for a nice cruiser type deck. not really a cruiser but something that would be good all around and that i could take in a cement park once in a while. i liked the looks of nicholas's jay adams on the first page and i was also thinking of the krooked zipzinger.

so what do you recommend?

anyone have a deck they want to sell?

how about some recommendations for a nice cruiser type deck. not really a cruiser but something that would be good all around and that i could take in a cement park once in a while. i liked the looks of nicholas's jay adams on the first page and i was also thinking of the krooked zipzinger.

so what do you recommend?

I've just retired a mid-nineties SC old school deck and replaced it with a Krooked Zip Zagger (the wide Zip model). I love my new setup. I'm living in Chicago (flat) and really never got too into traditional longboards. I really just do enjoy crusing and carving bombing the few little hills I find. I've been using a pair of 180's for years coupled with some nice Bones Swiss and Route 6 62mm softies.

I really couldn't be happier. The short wheelbase lets me carve really sharp (a must for city dwelling)

My other setup is a Real gonzoles guest deck over indys with some autobahn 56's spinning on red's.

Both are nice rides. But I get around on my Krooked.