tweeds

THIS OR THAT? (Use me for all your Should I Buy...? questions)

Posted (edited)

Resolute 710, 712 or orSlow are probably the best choice as they are kinda desigend to fit like your example. Denime 66XX might work too, but the taper is not as strong. You know which Denime model is shown on your picture?
I think the SugarCane will be the most relaxed fit of your 4 choices so I would rule that one out.

I'm biased but would advise to go with Resolute ;)

Edited by beautiful_FrEaK

Posted (edited)

They suppose tot be the 66xx. Found the picture here: https://zozo.jp/sp/search/?p_tpcsid=1069897

They look more slim than on most western retailers stock pics but that's the case in almost all the jeans I mentioned when looking at jeans on rakuten and other Japanese shops. I hoped that might be because the western stockist use pics of unsanforized models before shrinking but I'm not sure. Is downsizing still a thing in Japan or is it just that the jeans fit their frame a lot different.

I like the resolutes and orslows as well but the odd sizing in orslows sets me off. Also the sizing advise I found on the interwebz doesn't make it much netter.

It would make things a lot easier if I could just fit and compare them but there aren't any stockists nearby and even if they where I couldn't fit because of corona.

Edited by greathoudini

Posted (edited)

I find the same regarding Japanese sites looking like far slimmer fits than the jeans actually are. I think it’s because the Japanese models tend to wear smaller sizes due to lithe waists, which then slims down the entire fit dramatically. My 66s (albeit not xx) don’t look anywhere near as slim as that photo and I took my correct waist size. 
I agree Resolute is probably the way to go if you want a classic Ivy fit like the one posted. 
Whichever you go for, enjoy!

Edited by unders

@greathoudini You are in the Netherlands right now? Frans Boone store is expecting a big restock of the 710 mid May and I think they are open again?! You should go there and try them on in person. They also stock orSlow and their 107 model.

As far as I remember the SC's have a decent taper as well and are rather slim at the hem but they're probably the ones with the highest waist (by far?) of your suggestions. I really like the fit but the inseam is pretty long so for a proper Ivy fit you'll need to hem them - unless you're obnoxiously tall that is.

My 42966 are still sitting in my wardrobe unworn so I can't tell you much more than that.

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the answers all.

I didn't know Frans Boone stocked resolute and orslow or even denim. 

Having a look at their website they even have a store in my city, Just not in the city centre. Will definitely check them out @beautiful_FrEaK

Edited by greathoudini

I'm not really a fan of the arcs, but I'll check them out anyway. 

31 minutes ago, greathoudini said:

I'm not really a fan of the arcs, but I'll check them out anyway. 

Arcs are probably the easiest thing to get rid of on a pair of jeans. It'll literally take you 5 minutes to remove them.

Def clouded, they look like something one would buy from the Betterware catalogue.. like a shit version of Kapital's Popeye boot for the over 65's..

:laugh2: Thanks for the sanity check

@undersThey look like surfing booties.

does anyone have the lofgren steadfast chukka?  if yes, how are they? and how much wear do they get?  I like them -- nice balance between a work and dress boot and am considering buying...

Yep, I do - I love mine, they're great shoes. Very versatile. I wear mine all the time, though probably less often once the weather warms up.

Posted (edited)

I got the ELMC chambray workshirt in coral - it's a super nice shirt (even though the pocket police might throw themselves upon me). I'm however in doubt on the fit. It's a little smaller in the shoulders and the neck than I would like but fits well otherwise. I'm afraid that sizing up will mess with the overall fit. I need a second opinion for this.

Pardon the shitty mirror pic.

IMG_20200514_145439__01.jpg

Edited by Ar_thor

Looks like a good fit to me personally.

That fits correctly, any bigger and your main concern will be the sloppy police.

Spot on

Thanks for the input people. I have quite broad shoulders so generally I go for for shirts with wider shoulders so I it might just be the feeling that it fits snug here that's a little unfamiliar for me.

what are my options now for upcoming contests?

Warehouse one here (seems pretty uncertain at this point)

Indigo Invitational

Denimio Tanuki

I don't like the whole idea of the Indigo Invitational

There's nothing invitational about it; anyone who wanted was free to just jump on in

3Sixteen NT220x in double black or Rogue Territory Strong Taper in Stealth ?

Almost same measurements.

I already own 3 Double Black jeans from 3Sixteen (not NT220x). They are fine, it's a safe choice, but you know, i want to try something new.

On the other hand, from my experience, RGT quality is a little bit off comparing to 3Sixteen... 

I think I need someone to talk me out of buying an A1 from Bronson...

Obviously at 300 bucks (270 with the discount you can always wrangle), I'm not expecting anything approaching the level of Buzz or McCoy's... but I've been pleasantly surprised with the quality of everything I've bought from them so far (a couple of watch caps, a tee, some chinos, an aloha shirt).

What do people think? Hard to disregard the nagging voice in my brain that says if you buy cheap, you buy twice.

Here though it would be buy cheap £245 (without discount) or buy 9x for a McCoys at £2,185! 

Kit I can't comment on the quality etc but those prices are great.

@MJF9 Yeah honestly I cannot imagine a world in which I'd be able to justify two grand for a jacket. £240 on the other hand...

2 hours ago, Kit Carruthers said:

I think I need someone to talk me out of buying an A1 from Bronson...

Obviously at 300 bucks (270 with the discount you can always wrangle), I'm not expecting anything approaching the level of Buzz or McCoy's... but I've been pleasantly surprised with the quality of everything I've bought from them so far (a couple of watch caps, a tee, some chinos, an aloha shirt).

What do people think? Hard to disregard the nagging voice in my brain that says if you buy cheap, you buy twice.

It might only be 3oz leather but goatskin is tough (it is goatskin? One label says sheep) - I’d imagine the lining and trimmings will break first. Looks a bargain.