THIS OR THAT? (Use me for all your Should I Buy...? questions)

tweeds

The exchanges reminded me of a workwear jacket I've got by R. Newbold - a British workwear firm established in 1885 and taken over by Paul Smith in 1993. I bought the jacket from new in about 1997 / 1998 IIRC. There were matching trousers but I only got the jacket. I haven't worn it in years as I bought oversized (no idea why) and it's massive (possibly layerable though).

2020-03-11 22.33.14.png

^^That's really nice. The hidden placket is like the french ones I have, to avoid scratches etc. I'd shorten the sleeves by a few inches and wear a sweatshirt underneath. 

Regarding that Adolph LaFont one -- it looks sorta NOS to me. The reason I say that is most, if no all, "laboreurs" here have switched to more durable and practical work garments than a cotton moleskin coat. In fact I don't think I've ever seen any blue-collar workers wearing blue collars in the past few years...so anything new is most likely going to be a repro or re-interpretation. Vetra is nice, too, although I don't feel like it offers an upgrade over NOS or lightly-used vintage, whereas Le Mont St. Michel is comparable to a Buzz Rickson flight jacket in quality and materials.

Cheers lads... yeah that’s a good shout OO as it was all still a bit big and baggy around that time.

My early 2000s LVC were similarly oversized and ended up being sold to clear space years back (faux pas). I was super busy at the time and Mrs MJF9 was pretty pleased to report to me that she’d managed to sell them as a bundle on eBay for an average of 20-f’ing-quid a pair (serious faux pas). I think (pain kills my memory) there were half a dozen pairs - inc 55, 37, 18xx, early 19xx - bought from Aero etc (I don’t want to know if that makes them more desirable :))

Digression aside, I put some wear into the Newbold back then but it’s just sat around since and I put it on Grailed last year. However, thanks to Sufu-inspired better judgement, I’ve now taken it down. I’ll give it a whirl layered or keep for nostalgia. Cheers chaps.

Reminds me of an Umbro pullover training top I’ve had since the early 90s - I’ll dig it out and take you for a trip down memory lane.

Also @MJF9 - how about an entry from you in the How Many Pairs, etc thread?

^ yes mate, will do, it’s on my to-do list. It is a humble list that might just stretch to the grave at a push... unlike some others around here who will need to become oldest people world record holders - and then some - to wear their stash in 

Edited by MJF9

• 2 weeks later...

Should I buy a pair of 14oz IH 777s locally to support small business, or am I duplicating the Stevenson 727s I already have?

Measurements look quite similar, so looking for real world experience if possible.

• 4 weeks later...

SDA do a few pairs with a 'twist' if you looking for something different and you know they are going to be done well.

Edited by Geeman

less conventional definitely tender:

46522860565_7b0571f9a2_c.jpg

46522862205_9aec6c6b72_c.jpg

47438340081_931a0ce91d_c.jpg

47438339691_94a47f38d6_c.jpg

so many unconventional details – square back pockets, snob's thumb coin pocket, funny/serious top button, etc etc, you can even get pockets in different places in some models – but when you put them on they still feel like jeans, not showy, not attention-grabbing, stealth. my fave jeans, conventional or unconventional. 

Edited by oomslokop

After all my other jeans got to small I'm in for a new pair of jeans and narrowed my list to: sugar cane sc42966, denime 66xx, resolute 710 and orslow 107.

I want to go for a slim but not skin tight fitting pair.

Ideally this kind of fit:

1069897.jpg

Any thoughts? 

Resolute 710, 712 or orSlow are probably the best choice as they are kinda desigend to fit like your example. Denime 66XX might work too, but the taper is not as strong. You know which Denime model is shown on your picture?
I think the SugarCane will be the most relaxed fit of your 4 choices so I would rule that one out.

I'm biased but would advise to go with Resolute ;)

Edited by beautiful_FrEaK

They suppose tot be the 66xx. Found the picture here: https://zozo.jp/sp/search/?p_tpcsid=1069897

They look more slim than on most western retailers stock pics but that's the case in almost all the jeans I mentioned when looking at jeans on rakuten and other Japanese shops. I hoped that might be because the western stockist use pics of unsanforized models before shrinking but I'm not sure. Is downsizing still a thing in Japan or is it just that the jeans fit their frame a lot different.

I like the resolutes and orslows as well but the odd sizing in orslows sets me off. Also the sizing advise I found on the interwebz doesn't make it much netter.

It would make things a lot easier if I could just fit and compare them but there aren't any stockists nearby and even if they where I couldn't fit because of corona.

Edited by greathoudini

I find the same regarding Japanese sites looking like far slimmer fits than the jeans actually are. I think it’s because the Japanese models tend to wear smaller sizes due to lithe waists, which then slims down the entire fit dramatically. My 66s (albeit not xx) don’t look anywhere near as slim as that photo and I took my correct waist size. 
I agree Resolute is probably the way to go if you want a classic Ivy fit like the one posted. 
Whichever you go for, enjoy!

Edited by unders

As far as I remember the SC's have a decent taper as well and are rather slim at the hem but they're probably the ones with the highest waist (by far?) of your suggestions. I really like the fit but the inseam is pretty long so for a proper Ivy fit you'll need to hem them - unless you're obnoxiously tall that is.

My 42966 are still sitting in my wardrobe unworn so I can't tell you much more than that.