tweeds

THIS OR THAT? (Use me for all your Should I Buy...? questions)

On 3/14/2019 at 8:58 AM, SmokeStackLightning said:

I am looking to get a new belt. My current favorite (and most comfortable) is the HTC Self Edge Peanut sting ray belt. It's not thick at all, and is my best belt by far.

Something like a Corter or Strike Gold is much too thick and uncomfortable.

Anyone have any recommendations for something that is comfortable for when I want to wear something a bit more plain? I was looking at the Sugar Cane ones, but they seem very thick as well.

I have two belts from 13fifty. They’re affordable and get the job done. I got one on scratch and dent discount for ~$30. 

Warehouse 800 or Full Count 1101? I've been looking for something with slight taper and a 12" (or greater) thigh for a 32" waist. Resolute looks interesting as well.

Any experience with Sassafras? They have a pair of shorts that I'm interested in that I've found for a good price, but I haven't been able to find anything about who does their construction, how their materials and construction hold up (and age), etc. Looking forward to all input.

@julian-wolf materials range from the classic 60/40 cotton/nylon mix used for workpants along the lines of dickies to lightweight denim and what-so-on, as far as I know. Been interested in a pair of the painter pants in a lightweight denim for a while, but just can't swing the price for a pair of pants that wouldn't get as much use, since they're a little out there. On Rakuten a bunch of stuff is on sale for about 80$, could be worth a try though.

^ Having no experience with either, I say go with the 601xx so I can experience them vicariously—would really love a pair of those

The Freewheelers are very good. I had to sell off the '47 as I thought I could size down (wrong) and got the '43 as a replacement but still, very good jeans.

Currently, I'm looking for a new type III jacket, something unique and tough. 3sixteen shadow or IH 526 PJ, or may be Sammie Anniversary jacket,.. which should I buy? Thanks!

im in the same boat as you. im going 3sixteen black B)

Posted (edited)

My one minor gripe is at 5'8" the medium (due to the shoulder's measurements ) is pretty long on me

Edited by tomswallow
Syntax error

On 6/18/2019 at 2:37 AM, julian-wolf said:

^ Having no experience with either, I say go with the 601xx so I can experience them vicariously—would really love a pair of those

On 6/24/2019 at 3:13 AM, Iron Horse said:

The Freewheelers are very good. I had to sell off the '47 as I thought I could size down (wrong) and got the '43 as a replacement but still, very good jeans.

thanks for responses! 

shredwin's fit just now seems pretty definitive on the 601xx... definitely a more generous cut than the warehouse I think (and far nicer top block than the lvc version)... IH: I can see why you thought you might be able to size down from the measurements I see on speedway... 

@bartlebyyphonics Yep, going off those it seemed I’d be able to swing it, and while the waist stretched just enough, the top block, seat, and upper thighs were always just a bit too tight. 

On 6/11/2019 at 8:42 PM, julian-wolf said:

Any experience with Sassafras? They have a pair of shorts that I'm interested in that I've found for a good price, but I haven't been able to find anything about who does their construction, how their materials and construction hold up (and age), etc. Looking forward to all input.

Ended up with a pair of their 100% cotton double-back shorts and I couldn't be happier. Design, cut, materials, and construction all seem right up there. Could do with slightly wider legs, but that's a problem with my thighs more than with the shorts.

Will aim to post some detail shots to the Unknown Brands thread some or other upcoming weekend.

also fit pics please, i wanna know how long irl they are.

^ Will do—not warm enough this week to warrant shorts, but some time in the next few

Got a weird one for you guys: Good Art Pequeno a meno chain or Fine Creek Leathers James jacket? The con to the jacket is that I live in Texas and won’t be able to wear it until like November and I’m a little concerned with sizing since I can’t try one on in person. Con to the chain is I’ve never really worn a necklace before. Just throwing it out there to see if anyone has an opinion!

Jacket, hands down. It's a life-time investment. But I don't wear jewelry, so my opinion is skewed... :huh:

I would want a 2-way zipper on a leather jacket, otherwise you can't sit down with it zipped.

Interesting feedback since I had been leaning towards the chain. :laugh: Just a little worried about the FCL jacket being too small. I guess if I got the jacket I could always return it and use the money towards the chain. 

Go for the jacket: jewelry's stupid

Imo it's a tough call. I'd go for the jacket, but if you won't be able to wear it that much I would probably out the money elsewhere.

chain can be worn at all times, jacket in texas potentially continues your love of clothing for the closet... [nice jacket tho... and not sure of the stamping on the necklace... personally i'd go for rings and stuff to hang keys off... you're a bracelet wearer right? chain would be a progression...] 

Are you sure you’re not just looking for new things to spend money on mate? 

Not much new in my comments here. Reckon it’ll be hard to get value out of the jacket given the climate. I’d put a Good Art wallet chain higher up a Good Art list - practical, good looking but steep though. 

The jackets is definitely the nicer choice of both. I really don't like the necklace at all but I'm also no jewelry person.

So the jacket would be the better option but still you probably won't wear it often enough I think?

That's why I would say, get nothing of the two

I’m not into jewelry or leather jackets Austin but both look good — tasteful and simple. If you love one or the other more, go for that one. You’ll wear it proudly, even if only in air conditioned restaurants in the summer. Forced to choose, I’d say the jacket. But the chain is fine too, as long as you like it enough to wear frequently. 

Thanks everyone for the feedback, they’re both items I’ve wanted for a long time now. I’m leaning towards the jacket because I’ve always wanted a leather jacket and this one seems pretty much perfect. And even though it’s hot now it’s not something that will go out of style. Plus my girlfriend hates the idea of me wearing a necklace apparently. :huh2:

I’ve never been much of a leather jacket or jewelry fan. 

If anything I’d recommend a nice watch over the chain or jacket.