tweeds

THIS OR THAT? (Use me for all your Should I Buy...? questions)

There's a fabulous search field which you can use. Or/and try out Heddels search tool. Never used it before but if you're looking for, say 13 oz as a max, you get a list of 216 pairs of jeans. Narrow down your preferences, use Instagram, sufu's search function and Google if you want to know how they fade or opinions. You'll get plenty of comments and pictures that's already been taken, way faster than waiting for new responses.

I'm not saying it to be a douche but there's so much damn awsome knowledge burried down in these old threads, it almost makes me sick repeating what way more knowledgeable folks have said so many times before which is just one click away.

Edit: Haha, just saw pretty much the same answer to another question by Mileshighevertonian. Viva la search function!

Edited by Bobbo

Just kind of thinking out loud here, as we all know I don't need any new jeans.
But...
Ooe Yofukuten OA01 or Freewheelers 601xx 1943?
I have a good track record with Ooe jeans, and I want to try out the new OA denim.
Freewheelers have just released a new 1943 model to their 601xx lineup and I like the details (no coint-pocket rivets, herringbone pocket bags, etc.) and the fit looks nice.

4 hours ago, Broark said:

Just kind of thinking out loud here, as we all know I don't need any new jeans.
But...
Ooe Yofukuten OA01 or Freewheelers 601xx 1943?
I have a good track record with Ooe jeans, and I want to try out the new OA denim.
Freewheelers have just released a new 1943 model to their 601xx lineup and I like the details (no coint-pocket rivets, herringbone pocket bags, etc.) and the fit looks nice.

perhaps..... both? hahaha

Where did you see the new Freewheelers? Id like to check those out

Anybody has experience with a store called www.atthefrontshop.com? I am trying to buy suspenders and they seem to carry WW1/WW2 and other combat stuff.

http://www.atthefrontshop.com/product_p/usumts.htm

These seem more appropriate https://www.atthefrontshop.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=GUAWSS&CartID=3

Kind of difficult to find Y- back suspenders from WW1/WW2 that use buttons. Most of the stuff out there has clips/hooks.

Edited by i_denim
added links

1 hour ago, MasonAlexander said:

perhaps..... both? hahaha

Where did you see the new Freewheelers? Id like to check those out

Quite the enabler! Haha.
The 1943 model is just starting to roll out in Japan, so the usual suspects are starting to get them.
Here's the Old Goat Rakuten page, probably the best photos out so far of them: https://item.rakuten.co.jp/old-goat/freewheelers_1822017/ 

I'm getting some store credits at Denimio for a return and Sugar Cane are a brand who have been on my radar for a while. I'm really interested in SC40301 14OZ RYUKYU INDIGO MIXED SUGAR CANE DENIM - BUT the SC40401 14OZ HAWAIIAN INDIGO MIXED SUGAR CANE DENIM have also peaked my interest. I am a "healthy" size 36, does anyone have first hand experience with either of these denim and do they stretch out after numerous wears? 

Thanks.

3 hours ago, Toegun said:

I'm getting some store credits at Denimio for a return and Sugar Cane are a brand who have been on my radar for a while. I'm really interested in SC40301 14OZ RYUKYU INDIGO MIXED SUGAR CANE DENIM - BUT the SC40401 14OZ HAWAIIAN INDIGO MIXED SUGAR CANE DENIM have also peaked my interest. I am a "healthy" size 36, does anyone have first hand experience with either of these denim and do they stretch out after numerous wears? 

Thanks.

I have the Okinawa Sugar Cane (your first option). As far as I understand it, those models are cut the same, with the same denim & different details. The Okinawa starts darker than the Hawaii.

It's a great option. They are comfy pants with a lot of room in the thighs, like a 501 1947 cut. I have big legs for my waist, and those are great for that kind of body.

The denim itself has a lot of character - I posted a close up of my pair in the Sugar Cane thread just a couple days ago. The value can't be beat IMHO.

You can read on the 2 jeans on Selfedge's site (I bought mine from them):

http://www.selfedge.com/sugar-cane?product_id=189

http://www.selfedge.com/sugar-cane?product_id=280

^^ I have experience with both. The Hawaii (lot 401) will likely stretch a little more than the Okinawa (lot 301).

edit: ^ They are the same cut and feature similar details, but use very different fabric. Same 50/50 yarns, but the Hawaii is a RHT dyed with a mix of natural and synthetic dyes for a very streaky mix of true blues while the Okinawa is a LHT dyed with (I believe) 100% synthetic indigo, and starts off with much more of a classic greyish hue. The Okinawa starts to lose color considerably more quickly.

Edited by julian-wolf

You are sure the Okinawa used natural dyes? I thought both standard pairs use 100% synthetic indigo and only the 40300 and 40400 used natural indigo.

Only the 40X00 use 100% natural indigo, but I believe the current Hawaii uses a mix. I don't think this is true for the Okinawa.

Ah I meant Hawaii, sorry. I thought both models use 100% synthetic indigo. Do you have a source? :)

Does a product description count? Vari, by way of Google Translate, notes that "This product blend synthesized and Hawaii indigo indigo" (see https://global.rakuten.com/en/store/vari/item/sc-pt-sc40401a/). When I get home, I can double-check the flasher and brochure, as I think that's where I originally got the idea.

I'd love to know more on that. If they're that different, there might be a Hawaii in my future, given how much I like the Okinawa...

1 hour ago, julian-wolf said:

Does a product description count? Vari, by way of Google Translate, notes that "This product blend synthesized and Hawaii indigo indigo" (see https://global.rakuten.com/en/store/vari/item/sc-pt-sc40401a/). When I get home, I can double-check the flasher and brochure, as I think that's where I originally got the idea.

I've bought from Vari before (have no idea why you would Google translate).

Technically, they went out of business last year in March.  Looks like they came back but under a different name.

Edited by mlwdp

6 hours ago, JDelage said:

I have the Okinawa Sugar Cane (your first option). As far as I understand it, those models are cut the same, with the same denim & different details. The Okinawa starts darker than the Hawaii.

It's a great option. They are comfy pants with a lot of room in the thighs, like a 501 1947 cut. I have big legs for my waist, and those are great for that kind of body.

The denim itself has a lot of character - I posted a close up of my pair in the Sugar Cane thread just a couple days ago. The value can't be beat IMHO.

You can read on the 2 jeans on Selfedge's site (I bought mine from them):

http://www.selfedge.com/sugar-cane?product_id=189

http://www.selfedge.com/sugar-cane?product_id=280

5 hours ago, julian-wolf said:

^^ I have experience with both. The Hawaii (lot 401) will likely stretch a little more than the Okinawa (lot 301).

edit: ^ They are the same cut and feature similar details, but use very different fabric. Same 50/50 yarns, but the Hawaii is a RHT dyed with a mix of natural and synthetic dyes for a very streaky mix of true blues while the Okinawa is a LHT dyed with (I believe) 100% synthetic indigo, and starts off with much more of a classic greyish hue. The Okinawa starts to lose color considerably more quickly.

@JDelage and @julian-wolf thanks for your responses. The Ryukyu (or Okinawa) are still my first choice, hopefully they stretch out enough as the 36 are listed as being 35.5. But I do like the Hawaiian as they are a different shade then the usual selevedge denim. 

Following up on the above: I looked through the brochure ("Sugar Cane", "This is our Pride") that shipped with the jeans, but couldn't find any info on the dyeing, just the production of the yarns themselves (properties of sugar millet fibers, etc.). I'm not sure where I got the idea, initially, that the Hawaiis use a mix of natural and synthetic dyes, but I think that Vari's correct about that being the case.

On 4/6/2018 at 10:59 AM, mlwdp said:

I've bought from Vari before (have no idea why you would Google translate).

Do (did) they have an english-language site? If so, I was never aware of it. Google translate has always been my go-to for Rakuten descriptions, but if there's a better option out there I'd love know.

@julian-wolfAs long as you access their shop through Rakuten Global instead of their regular JP site (like ne.jp, etc) you should be good.   Rakuten Global converts the sites.  I got a couple posts about this in the Small Questions Thread.

Huh, good to know. In any case, though, does it not just convert the descriptions using some equivalent of Google translate?

12 minutes ago, julian-wolf said:

Huh, good to know. In any case, though, does it not just convert the descriptions using some equivalent of Google translate?

Page 571 and 569 should make it a little clearer with a walk through for purchases.

Thanks, but I understand how to purchase through Rakuten. What I'm unclear on is whether their auto-translation differs in any meaningful way from Google's so as to warrant you "[having] no idea why [I ] would Google translate".

Edited by julian-wolf
bad bbcode

I don't come across the translation issue personally, whether I access either through Safari or Chrome.  The only time the Google translate is different for me is on the ne.jp shop link which reads differently on the Global Rakuten link of the same shop.

Now, on the other hand, Bing's translation on the phone sucks.  Doesn't translate as good and leaves half of the text untranslated or takes forever.

Could be wrong, but I always thought the below was the official European site, which then links to a stockist - Togged. Both of these sites seem to have plenty of info in English. 

http://www.sugarcanejeans.co.uk/

2 hours ago, i_denim said:

You didn't ask for other suggestions but for anyone fancying that style in opulent horsehide, "Jorge" by the The Last Conspiracy delivers:

tlc1048_036_b_1024x1024.jpg?v=1510668848

@i_denim the off white canvas 70's are the best looking cons out in my opinion.

Thanks @Critical Observer but those are a little too fancy for my current taste.

@Geeman I had those and I eagerly they are very understated and good looking shoes. I did drift a little this time and found another brand called PF Flyers. Will pick up one of these shortly.

Any experience with Kaminari tees? Okay quality? In high school I drove a 280ZX, and since then I've had a real soft spot for early Z's. Saw this shirt on the sale section of milwaukee and am seriously tempted…

http://www.mil-mil.net/docs/zx01/kaminari/s-tee/kmt59/kmt59.html

@julian-wolfI believe they're made by the same company that makes Ted Company.  They're based out of China.  Kaminari is sold on Rakuten through Earth Market if I remember correctly.