THIS OR THAT? (Use me for all your Should I Buy...? questions)

tweeds

Have my eye out for an N1 jacket for the fall/winter. Should I go with Iron Heart or Real McCoys?

Can't comment on the IH jacket, but I suspect the McCoy's version will be way heavier than needed for your climate. I have the Buzz Demotex N-1, which is supposed to be comparable to the McCoy's version in weight, material, and warmth.  Where I live, on average it's 20 to 25 degrees colder in January here than it is in San Francisco (I assume that's the bay area you're from).  I need the heavier N-1, and really, it needs to be 35 degrees or colder to wear it comfortably.  The lighter, standard N-1 from Buzz would be better suited to a climate that's producing highs in the 40s and 50s in January.      

Can't comment on the IH jacket, but I suspect the McCoy's version will be way heavier than needed for your climate. I have the Buzz Demotex N-1, which is supposed to be comparable to the McCoy's version in weight, material, and warmth.  Where I live, on average it's 20 to 25 degrees colder in January here than it is in San Francisco (I assume that's the bay area you're from).  I need the heavier N-1, and really, it needs to be 35 degrees or colder to wear it comfortably.  The lighter, standard N-1 from Buzz would be better suited to a climate that's producing highs in the 40s and 50s in January.      

Setterman, what do you wear under your N-1?

anything from cotton button downs to wool sweaters. The jacket is heavy enough that I dress for being indoors rather than out. Since the square waist can be a bit drafty, I lean toward bulkier clothes to take up some space when it gets well below freezing.

• 2 weeks later...

Surprised there isn't a dedicated leather jacket thread around here, so I figured I would ask here.

I'm looking for a good leather jacket and I don't think I'll be able to go to a Japanese brand like Flat Head because they don't make anything in my size, so I'm looking into some of the custom makers.

Anyone have experience with Himel Bros? I've come across their Frobisher jacket and I think it might be the leather jacket I've been looking for. Not listed on their website exclusively but I've seen it on their Instagram and on some other forums.

Here it is in Shinki black aniline horsehide:

LSnVDKH.jpg

NHl1z2e.jpg

Another Frobisher made in Shinki oil tan brown horsehide:

KKDFxdh.jpg

And another option I've found that I like quite a bit is this Californian Ventura jacket from Goodwear Leather. 

Only thing that I don't really like is the lead-time which is somewhere around 18 to 24 months...

But that would give me plenty of time to save some money for it!

front_back_full.jpg

Honestly my favorite jacket I've ever come across is this Flat Head one but it doesn't come in a size big enough for me.  <_<

FH_HORSE_02.2-682x1025.jpg

If anyone has any other brands to look into I'd appreciate suggestions!

Goodwear should be about $500 less than the Himel, right?

I've read that Himel considers John Chapman of Goodwear to be even better than him at making jackets. As far as custom orders on a half belt, Aero is the only other brand after these two that springs to mind as Bill Kelso and Diamond Dave seem like a mess.

ELMC make their Californian half belt up to size 46, not sure if that works or not. Comes in Vicenza horsehide, though yhe black is dyed through.

I think the Goodwear comes out a bit cheaper than the Himel, don't know the exact cost of the Himel as it isn't posted online.

I've heard the same about John Chapman of Goodwear, that he's basically one of the best in the business.

I just wish I could get the Californian Ventura in a Shinki horsehide! The horsehide they have looks pretty nice though.

Maybe it would be worth the lead-time.

ah thanks, superfluous = jc. never made the connection hahaha.

I think the guy in the Goodwear jacket is John Chapman, the guy making the jackets.

But the guy wearing the Himel Bros. black Frobisher jacket is superfluous, who has a ton of awesome leather jackets! Including that 30's deerskin jacket from RMC that I love.

Oh sorry totally my bad, for some reason i blanked and thought that the frobisher was a goodwear jacket... That is superfluous in that but indeed John Chapman in the good wear jacket.

maybe you've seen him from pics at Inspiration, he's friends with Dave Himel too

Broark, one more company that slipped my mind: Johnson Leathers in San Francisco. Will custom make a half-belt, have quick turnaround times, and are very affordable (sub-$1,000) for the quality provided (better than Aero). No Shinki, though you can provide any leather you want. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, any suggestions for some jeans that have a similar fit to petit standards? Low rise, slim etc.

Petit standards fit me better than any other jeans I've ever worn, but I'd like to try something with a bit heavier denim maybe. I tried Somét 008's, but I thought the pockets looked kinda weird. Appreciate any help, thanks.

I never have more than one new/newish pair at a time, but I'm thinking of trying out a new approach to my regular rotation. Anybody have thoughts on a third pair to go with my 9-month old SC Okis and 1-week-old TCB 60s? I think I've narrowed it down to Warehouse 800s, FC 1101s, and SC 47s.

Cheers. 

For the fades and denim I would take the WH800. For the comfort and details the FC1101 win. And the SC47 are the best bang for the buck