THIS OR THAT? (Use me for all your Should I Buy...? questions)

tweeds

I think many folk have seen the price of RMC items increase almost exponentially over the last few years. In addition, they’ve tried to prevent the retailers in Japan that carry their stock (at lower prices) from selling directly to export customers whilst positioning themselves as a luxury brand (high prices, buzzers on their shop doors, etc). Meanwhile, some have complained about their fall in/lack of quality, perceived or otherwise. I think this all adds up to a bit of a fall from favour or ambivalence at best, possibly even an ‘any brand but RMC’ attitude. Maybe, in the UK anyway.

Edited by Maynard Friedman

I like my warehouse jeans well enough, and even though the durability of them is only just okay, I’d pick them over RMC any day - a brand that I’ve never even considered. That said, I’d probably opt for a similar offering from a third brand if available and cut similarly.

I find WH to be a little rich too, tbh - considering what TCB and sugar cane retails for (and some other brands if you dig into Japan retailers). For a little more you can get Freewheelers which is worth the difference in my limited experience. 

I have a positively rational reason for no RMC in addition to the price - I don’t like the name. 

I wouldn't touch McCoys denim with a barge pole, it's trash!.. I had the 003s on pre-order.. the denim is alright i suppose.. albeit ridiculously contrasty for WW2 but the thread holding it together just disintegrates with friction... within a few months both inseams unraveled due to the thread breaking down from the abrasion where it had rubbed against my engineer boots then both back pockets all but fell off due to 'sitting'

fullsizeoutput_1f6.thumb.jpeg.e780c4a3a0c79e7f6afc4dd697d17031.jpeg

Then the coin pocket fell off from putting my hand in/out of the pocket..

IMG_3151.thumb.JPG.3a525b01295dbd0bb2c0205b0322528e.JPG

I've beat the crap out a lot of denim, i only ever buy jeans with all cotton thread and this is the only time i've had this issue, i've had 25yr old pre-worn vintage SugarCane jeans last longer than this^.. the pocket did fall off my CSF-46s but by the time that happened the jeans were just rags held together by keeping my fingers crossed whereas the RMC denim was all good but they were just deconstructing themselves.

In comparison.. i've been beating the shit out of my WH jacket at work since 2016 and it's still in one piece B)

1 hour ago, CSL said:

Would anyone care to elaborate on why the Warehouse is superior to RMC? 

I don't own any Warehouse denim so have never seen it close up.

My experience was that RMC product looked really clean and fit me well initially but lacked character and fell apart. @Double 0 Soul replying as I type this, said more than I could offer! My lot 004 and 003 needed repairs within one month 

Warehouse products have a ton of character and they get most of the details I look for right.. I have yet to have a bad experience with Warehouse but 90% of what I own from them is denim

1 hour ago, l13902733261 said:

I actually don't find their pricing being that outrageous,especially compare to ironheart(uk).

21 minutes ago, Geeman said:

That's a very fair point 

No, it's really not. IHUK is about the worst possible point of reference for reasonable pricing. To feel the need to compare to them at all is to admit that McCoy's international pricing is pretty outrageous.

To add my bit to the conversation: Never tried Real McCoy's, and never really been inclined to for the multiple reasons already given. That said, Joe McCoy's makes a few of my favorite clothes (I have 3 of their thermals, and now a down-filled leather vest, and have admired many shirts over the years), and they don't seem to get caught in many of the same pitfalls as their parent / sister company, for whatever reason. Credit where credit's due, and all that.

41 minutes ago, julian-wolf said:

IHUK is about the worst possible point of reference for reasonable pricing.

^this 

I own a few of their shirts and recently acquire a pair of 634s 20th anniversary,all extremely well build and well fitted.

but I just can't wrap my head around about who's paying $375 for a pair of 26,000 yen jeans:blink:

McCoys has been the kiss of death for so many.. VP, BiG, Superdenim to name but a few.. Last i heard RMC London have relocated and is Tsujimoto's daughter was running the joint?.. what happened to Lewis from Superdenim?.. was he chewed up and spat out along this trail of eyes on the prize retail destruction?

I've just checked SD for the first time in a decade and it looks defunct.. i appreciate they still have Marrkt.. but it's a bit of a fall from grace init!

Edited by Double 0 Soul

1 hour ago, julian-wolf said:

No, it's really not. IHUK is about the worst possible point of reference for reasonable pricing. To feel the need to compare to them at all is to admit that McCoy's international pricing is pretty outrageous.

I wasn't suggesting it was a reference for for reasonable pricing, I was agreeing that some of IH stuff is also borderline ridiculous when it comes to price 

On 1/31/2020 at 10:49 AM, unders said:

The RMC/JMC stitching struggle is real.
Like Double O’s my arse doesn’t see anything too strenuous and these are the only jeans I’ve had this issue with. 

EE6C20B4-2980-45AA-8B12-F28553D41494.thumb.jpeg.04213f606a264f94b375df9850b97a3f.jpeg

Bonus lap shot

DA4DCB3E-F1D7-4F34-95D8-3C36C888892D.thumb.jpeg.7f7b49b93d4e978a9697111ffc7247f5.jpeg

Another downvote for RMC/JMC stitching from me. 

As I wrote 2020, never had this before nor since with other brands. No experience of their non denim stuff though. 

Darn tootin'.. for that^ amount of denim wear you would never expect a pocket blowout..

This was the last email i received @Broark

The Real McCoy’s will be closing our London location on Sackville Street, Mayfair on December 23rd 2022.

We would like to express our gratitude to all patrons of the store in the last twelve months. 
We have received a warm reception from locals and it has been our pleasure to welcome so many international visitors to our London outpost.

While the Coronavirus prevented the store from opening until 2021, we have been occupiers of 2a Sackville Street for several years and with our lease coming up for review, we have the opportunity in the coming year to move to a more permanent home for The Real McCoy’s in London, providing a greater experience for our customers. More details of this will be announced in due course. 

We welcome you to visit us at our current location until December 23rd, by appointment

Thank You from the team at
The Real McCoy’s, Mayfair