THIS OR THAT? (Use me for all your Should I Buy...? questions)

tweeds

2 hours ago, sven said:

Thinking of getting a Carhartt Detroit jacket for when fall comes and a denim jacket is not enough. Seems to be durable and goes well with anything.

Are there any alternatives in the same style worth checking out?

Filson springs to mind but if you're not a brand-snob, i don't think you'll go far wrong with that Carhartt jacket for the money.

Edited by Double 0 Soul

7 hours ago, sven said:

Thinking of getting a Carhartt Detroit jacket for when fall comes and a denim jacket is not enough. Seems to be durable and goes well with anything.

Are there any alternatives in the same style worth checking out?

https://www.filson.com/outerwear/jackets-coats/tacoma-work-jacket.html#sku=20096828-fco-000000111

Not sure I’d recommend this one though as their fits are horrible, unless you have the physique of Danny DeVito. I used to own the Tacoma and sold it immediately. Only reason I’m posting a link is because the style is similar 

On 6/10/2022 at 3:36 AM, sven said:

Filson is nice, but crazy expensive here in Sweden. 

I would’ve considered Filson a decent brand when most of their stuff was MiUSA, but nowadays they’ve shifted production overseas and are still charging ridiculous prices. And I think their fits are among the worst in the clothing industry....made for fat people 

@ColonelAngus you mean they’re made for blue collar workers? 
most blue collar and tradesmen are sadly very overweight. Haha 
I actually find Filson to fit much better than Carhartt but that’s just my personal experience. 
I don’t buy any new Filson stuff since it’s all made overseas now. 
But my vintage USA made tin items are timeless and some of the best stuff. 
The quality of carhartt has gone way downhill. The last pair I bought was rags within 4 months. Pure garbage. 
So now I’ve slowly just started to use my raw denim for work and it holds up much better actually. 
Rant over. 

Edited by shredwin_206

15 minutes ago, shredwin_206 said:

The quality of carhartt has gone way downhill. The last pair I bought was rags within 4 months. 

Having seen how fast you fade denim, I believe you! The most brutal punishment my jacket will get though is mostly on the playground with my daughter :)

30 minutes ago, sven said:

Having seen how fast you fade denim, I believe you! The most brutal punishment my jacket will get though is mostly on the playground with my daughter :)

Oh haha you’ll be fine then ;) 

1 hour ago, shredwin_206 said:

@ColonelAngus you mean they’re made for blue collar workers? 
most blue collar and tradesmen are sadly very overweight. Haha 
I actually find Filson to fit much better than Carhartt but that’s just my personal experience. 
I don’t buy any new Filson stuff since it’s all made overseas now. 
But my vintage USA made tin items are timeless and some of the best stuff. 
The quality of carhartt has gone way downhill. The last pair I bought was rags within 4 months. Pure garbage. 
So now I’ve slowly just started to use my raw denim for work and it holds up much better actually. 
Rant over. 

I would argue that most blue collar workers aren’t dropping $300+ on a tin cloth Filson jacket or whatever. Filson has basically become a fashion brand. I have some of their MiUSA pieces but beyond that I won’t buy anymore of their stuff. I don’t wear Carhartt so can’t speak to their quality. I’m sure their prices are what appeals to blue collar workers and not the quality 

@ColonelAngus you’re correct. A lot of tradesmen are cheap fucks who buy whatever is on sale at Walmart. Then complain about the quality of their work boots/clothes. 
I was saying that Filson used to be made for the working person/loggers. Generously cut, meant to wear multiple layers underneath. 
but yes Filson is mostly for wannabes these days but they need money too so they market towards it. Just like carhartt has done. It leads to cutting corners in the quality of clothing. 
Back in the day men used to take pride in their clothing even for working in the factory or job site. 
I get complimented by many old timers who say it’s nice to see someone in the trades who gives a damn about being presentable while doing the work we do and taking pride in their trade. 
sorry I’ve ranted again. I’ll be done now. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/26/2022 at 8:35 PM, Hopethisoneisnttaken said:

Decent quality leather jackets (as well as other clothing) but I’m not sure where their footwear is made although I’d doubt they’ll compromise quality

• 1 month later...
On 5/29/2022 at 7:49 PM, Geeman said:

Might cop some flack for this,  but considering a pair of Lee 101 just for the back pockets!  

Any experience with them?

So copped a pair in a sale. 

Nice grayish hue, leading to a lighter blue than most my pairs. Rise and thigh acceptable for a man of a certain age.

LHT, which is very soft almost feels brushed inside.

Back pocket shape as expected/remembered but the shape does make them quite shallow. 

Overall,  pretty happy with them. 

• 1 month later...
On 6/11/2022 at 1:27 PM, shredwin_206 said:

Back in the day men used to take pride in their clothing even for working in the factory or job site. 
I get complimented by many old timers who say it’s nice to see someone in the trades who gives a damn about being presentable while doing the work we do and taking pride in their trade. 
sorry I’ve ranted again. I’ll be done now. 

Rant On.

On 6/11/2022 at 11:39 AM, ColonelAngus said:

made for fat people 

I far prefer to be called “Big Boned” or “Gordo”...Thankyou.

“Fat” is an expression used by judgmental Americans...sorry, is that redundant?

“Gordo” is often an expression of endearment and at the worst, simply an adjective.

Edited by Pedro

On 6/14/2022 at 7:46 PM, sven said:

Carhartt jacket worked out great.
Feels durable enough to last me a long time.

6A7FD217-981B-4DCA-A843-C21C64C932A2.jpeg

caved in and got myself a blanket lined chore coat in prussian blue :D blanket lining is still not my biggest favorite but I've been wanting one for a good ten years now :D

• 5 months later...

Would anyone care to elaborate on why the Warehouse is superior to RMC? 

I don't own any Warehouse denim so have never seen it close up.