THIS OR THAT? (Use me for all your Should I Buy...? questions)

tweeds

Been looking for a Chambray  Workshirt, currently in between the following 3 :

Real McCoy

Fullcount

OrSlow

Have dealt with all these brands and everything is superb. The Fullcount seems like a different shade of blue? But it could just be the Fullcount picture.  I'm a bit color deficient so cannot be too sure. 

Opinions are appreciated :) 

The OrSlow is a great everyday shirt. Very soft and comfortable.  I wear a size 4 and it fits perfectly — XL in most Japanese clothing and L in American/western shirts. 

I have 2 RMC chambray,  nice shirts. Quite long if you want to tuck.

I have one FC (they call them basic) chambray,  the pop over stand collar one. I actually thought it was a linen blend when I first handled it, generous cut and a lighter blue than usual. 

Momotaro chambray shirts are good and a great price. 

@JohnM Yeah, the color and fabric on that looks great. Was wondering, what chest measurement do you usually go for? I try to get 44" usually as I prefer a boxier fit, and it usually saves me from regret after a wash. Going by chest measurement alone I'd be going for a 5, and the length doesn't seem too bad. 

@Geeman Ahh, was looking to not having to tuck so that removes RMC out. As for the Fullcount, yeah it does seem like a different fabric, Fullcount description just says its their original fabric. I'll give Momotaro a look. Probably leaning towards OrSlow  as of now. 

Thanks guys

1 hour ago, Lazerr said:

@JohnM Yeah, the color and fabric on that looks great. Was wondering, what chest measurement do you usually go for? I try to get 44" usually as I prefer a boxier fit, and it usually saves me from regret after a wash. Going by chest measurement alone I'd be going for a 5, and the length doesn't seem too bad. 

Here are the measurements on my size 4 OrSlow chambray.  I have a 43" chest and the 4 fits well -- on the trim side but excellent.  The 5 would also work for me (I'm 6'0", 180 pounds) but the sleeves would probably be too long and the shoulders a little big.  The chest is often the challenge with Japanese clothing on western bodies and it's where I need the most room.  But that's why I like the size 4 OrSlow -- it's roomy enough without being too big elsewhere.  If your chest is more than 43", then go size 5.  If 43" or less, the 4 should be fine.

Chest      45"

Sleeves   25"

Shoulder   18.75"

Length    30"

8 hours ago, Lazerr said:

@JohnM Hey Thanks for measurements! Was about to go for the 5 as some places have the 4 listed as a 42" but those measurements are exactly what I go for for a roomy fit.

I'm glad I could help Lazerr, but I sure hope a 4 is big enough for you.  I bought my OrSlow blue chambray a few years ago and there's always a chance that sizing has changed -- I hope you can have it measured before you buy.  Most of my work or chambray shirts are, in fact, a little bigger than the OrSlow because it's often the case that chest measurements are trim relative to other dimensions and I have to size up.  What I like about the OrSlow 4, however, is that it's just big enough everywhere while still being reasonably trim.  If you want a relaxed, roomy fit, the 5 may still be better for you.  I bought the 4 because I tried it on in a store.  If I were shopping on-line, I might have been tempted to go 5 and be safe -- one of the advantages of in-store shopping, which is rare for the stuff we like these days.

@JohnM  ahh completely understandable. I’ll shoot Canoe Club for measurements to see if it’s changed a bit. Unfortunately, Butterscotch in Long Beach was the only place near me with the shirt, but has since been sold out. Hope the sizing goes in my favor :) 

• 2 weeks later...

I have both the more recent iterations of the RMC and Buzz sweats. On the quality/durability, I've only had them for two years but both have held up well with washing/drying and such. With regard to fit, the RMC has a more "vintage" fit with tighter arms, shorter torso, boxy fit, etc. whereas the Buzz sweats have a more modern fit with a longer torso, more room in the arms, etc.

On 8/7/2020 at 11:41 AM, Ar_thor said:

Sweatshirts:

RMC vs Buzz vs Merz?

I realise there's somewhat a price difference but who offers the best quality/longevity?

Other good options.

Don't count on RMC for longevity, i own 4 of them and 3 out of the 4 have blown thread in the high abrasion areas, the seam at the cuff and under the sleeves wich rubs against the seam at the hem where your arms come into contact as you walk are all dotted with holes where the overlock has disintegrated.

IMG_9660

..you can poke your finger through these holes, which is a shame because the fabric is lovely and the fit is just perfect but the thread quality is appalling, and certainly not worth the premium.

8 hours ago, shredwin_206 said:

Eyeing a pair of Birkenstock Boston. 
Any others I should at?

devrloped a mild case of plantar fasciitis. So am advised to not be barefoot. 

I have a pair in wool that I use around the house in the winter, they're nice and comfy but you'll look a bit like a middle aged German tourist wearing them. We generally refer to them as Birkencrocs.

Edited by Ar_thor

5 hours ago, Double 0 Soul said:

Check out Crocs, they're the exact same thing but much cheaper ;)

..forget all that #mocsandsocks pricking around on instagram #crocsandsocks is the future!

Don’t think crocs have the heel support I need for my foot issues. Haha 

@shredwin_206  Hey I have both Boston and the Arizona's and both provide great support for my feet. They also have the soft or hard footbed options, which offers more variety for you. The only other shoe I can think of would be Tevas/Choccos, although I am unsure if they provide as much support as the Birks. 

• 4 weeks later...

It might help to know why those are the two companies that you’re considering, in particular: What is it you’re looking for?

I’m not a leather jackets guy, but they kinda seem like they’re at opposite ends of the spectrum…like asking whether IH or Warehouse makes better jeans, comparing apples to oranges

(Good oranges are much better than good apples)

You should check out the jackets at Johnson Leather in San Fran. Alan is a great guy to work with. Their website is in progress currently, but check instagram johnsonleathersf. They have off the rack jackets you can try or go full custom. Search thefedoralounge.com for quite a bit of custom work from them.

B