THIS OR THAT? (Use me for all your Should I Buy...? questions)

tweeds

• 2 weeks later...

How would you guys compare Warehouse's Banner denim to the TCB 50s denim?

I love the look of the 1001XX, but like pretty much all Warehouse jeans they are way too short for me. TCB 50s, on the other hand, looks like a pretty much perfect fit and the denim seems similar. But it's hard to make a comparison since there are nowhere near as many fades of the 50s out there, compared to Warehouse's comprehensive fade gallery on their site.

@beautiful_FrEaK I haven't! I forgot all about that. I'll give that contest's jeans a look.

@Bobbo What do you think? I know you've worn both TCB 50s and Warehouse 1001, would be interested to hear your thoughts on the similarities of these two fabrics.

Edited by Cold Summer

@Cold Summer They're not super similar, though I love 'em both. The big difference I think is in the texture. Warehouse's banner denim gets that awsome marbling texture while the TCB's have its streakiness. Also feels like the banner denim feels lighter even though they're the same weight if I remember correctly.

I do think they fade pretty similar colourwise, at least my pairs did.

Can't go wrong with either one, both yields fantastic vintage-esque fades with a soft feel to them. If the 1001 comes up too short I'd say the 50's is a damn good second choice!

Thanks Bobbo, that helps. Who else makes a denim that gets the marbled texture, anyway? I only see Warehouse and maybe old Denime mentioned as brands that do that.

I'd be intrigued if somebody made a fabric with a marbled texture, but the deep, dark dyeing of Flat Head or Eternal.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks good but I would get one in moleskin instead. They are awesome! 
Two of my mates have moleskin ones and I thought I bought one on eBay some years back but it turned out to be mislabelled and it was just a canvas one. Super bummed. Not at all the same heft and it can’t stand as much abuse.

Here’s an old picture of me tarting about in Corsica’s take on the work jacket. As you can see it has heavy Eastern influences, being brought over by sailors and traded with & adopted by the locals. I bought it in a market in Ajaccio for about EUR15/20 if I recall correctly. Due to the climate down there it’s a lightweight cotton. I’ve linked an interesting blog post about the history (the comments at the end are some of the most informative parts (Rudy B), my rambling post is right at the bottom of the comments). 

AB317E95-114F-4CEA-9153-F4D14DCCDF95.jpeg.6633219da33414d96b7cdd398dc4165b.jpeg

https://racines-corses.fr/shopping/le-bleu-de-chine-costume-du-baroudeur-corse/#comment-7414

Edited by unders

18 hours ago, Spiraltoy said:

Looks good but I would get one in moleskin instead. They are awesome! 
Two of my mates have moleskin ones and I thought I bought one on eBay some years back but it turned out to be mislabelled and it was just a canvas one. Super bummed. Not at all the same heft and it can’t stand as much abuse.

i did a search on ebay but too bad most of the listings doesnt tell the fabric 

On 3/10/2020 at 12:28 PM, BionicEye said:

Not really denim related but whats your opinion on those vintage french chore jackets

https://m.ebay.nl/itm/Vintage-French-Faded-Distressed-Darned-Workwear-Cotton-Chore-Worker-Jacket-Large/164111725750?hash=item2635d234b6:g:q8gAAOSw9PNeYQrK

those look good faded but an orslow one will looks nice aswell

The newer ones are 5 euros at any French thrift store, but you have to do a lot of the fading yourself. I have a couple that I use for painting etc. The true vintage (70s and older) ones are in the 30-40 euro range, and some even more. Have a rummage through this http://www.lelaboureur.fr/accueil2.html for the real stuff. I have one of the vestes en laine...fabulous. Like wearing a sheep that just walked through briars.

For a luxe version try Le Mont St. Michel. https://lemontsaintmichel.fr/en/men-workwear-jacket-bomber-72 Really nice quality, worth the money IMO. Although this is a little silly: https://lemontsaintmichel.fr/en/men-coats-jackets/vintage-washed-work-jacket-1243-.html#/color-blue

There are a million different versions of these jackets but since it's so easy to get one from France, why not? 

Edited by peter1

I've cycled thru a few of these by this point--Uniqlo, Taylor Stitch, vintage ones, and Le Mont St. Michel. Le Mont is the best one by far. The vintage ones look great, but the collars tend to be kinda weird looking by modern standards and don't look very good when flipped up. 

I've tried a chore coat from Vetra before, but it ended up being too large.  Does anyone know any stockists that ship to the U.S. that carry an XS?