THIS OR THAT? (Use me for all your Should I Buy...? questions)

tweeds

@julian-wolf materials range from the classic 60/40 cotton/nylon mix used for workpants along the lines of dickies to lightweight denim and what-so-on, as far as I know. Been interested in a pair of the painter pants in a lightweight denim for a while, but just can't swing the price for a pair of pants that wouldn't get as much use, since they're a little out there. On Rakuten a bunch of stuff is on sale for about 80$, could be worth a try though.

On 6/18/2019 at 2:37 AM, julian-wolf said:

^ Having no experience with either, I say go with the 601xx so I can experience them vicariously—would really love a pair of those

On 6/24/2019 at 3:13 AM, Iron Horse said:

The Freewheelers are very good. I had to sell off the '47 as I thought I could size down (wrong) and got the '43 as a replacement but still, very good jeans.

thanks for responses! 

shredwin's fit just now seems pretty definitive on the 601xx... definitely a more generous cut than the warehouse I think (and far nicer top block than the lvc version)... IH: I can see why you thought you might be able to size down from the measurements I see on speedway... 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/11/2019 at 8:42 PM, julian-wolf said:

Any experience with Sassafras? They have a pair of shorts that I'm interested in that I've found for a good price, but I haven't been able to find anything about who does their construction, how their materials and construction hold up (and age), etc. Looking forward to all input.

Ended up with a pair of their 100% cotton double-back shorts and I couldn't be happier. Design, cut, materials, and construction all seem right up there. Could do with slightly wider legs, but that's a problem with my thighs more than with the shorts.

Will aim to post some detail shots to the Unknown Brands thread some or other upcoming weekend.

Got a weird one for you guys: Good Art Pequeno a meno chain or Fine Creek Leathers James jacket? The con to the jacket is that I live in Texas and won’t be able to wear it until like November and I’m a little concerned with sizing since I can’t try one on in person. Con to the chain is I’ve never really worn a necklace before. Just throwing it out there to see if anyone has an opinion!

Jacket, hands down. It's a life-time investment. But I don't wear jewelry, so my opinion is skewed... :huh:

Interesting feedback since I had been leaning towards the chain. :laugh: Just a little worried about the FCL jacket being too small. I guess if I got the jacket I could always return it and use the money towards the chain. 

chain can be worn at all times, jacket in texas potentially continues your love of clothing for the closet... [nice jacket tho... and not sure of the stamping on the necklace... personally i'd go for rings and stuff to hang keys off... you're a bracelet wearer right? chain would be a progression...] 

Are you sure you’re not just looking for new things to spend money on mate? 

Not much new in my comments here. Reckon it’ll be hard to get value out of the jacket given the climate. I’d put a Good Art wallet chain higher up a Good Art list - practical, good looking but steep though. 

The jackets is definitely the nicer choice of both. I really don't like the necklace at all but I'm also no jewelry person.

So the jacket would be the better option but still you probably won't wear it often enough I think?

That's why I would say, get nothing of the two

I’m not into jewelry or leather jackets Austin but both look good — tasteful and simple. If you love one or the other more, go for that one. You’ll wear it proudly, even if only in air conditioned restaurants in the summer. Forced to choose, I’d say the jacket. But the chain is fine too, as long as you like it enough to wear frequently. 

Thanks everyone for the feedback, they’re both items I’ve wanted for a long time now. I’m leaning towards the jacket because I’ve always wanted a leather jacket and this one seems pretty much perfect. And even though it’s hot now it’s not something that will go out of style. Plus my girlfriend hates the idea of me wearing a necklace apparently. :huh2:

Finding the right leather jacket can be tough. If this one is EVERYTHING that you want in a jacket then go for it. If there's any hesitation about some aspect of it than don't spend that kind if coin on it. It's another thing to spend $800 +/- and not have everything be perfect for your taste 

Maybe ask Kiya if he'd do a special return policy for you if it doesn't fit right since it's such an expensive item? 

A question I have about that jacket re: the belt/band at the back - I can't tell from the pics, but is the belt sewn to the back panel across the horizontal length at the top and bottom, or is it free floating and only sewn into the seam at the sides/ends? 

The only thing I don’t like about leather jackets is weight loss.  As someone who has it gone through (and still going through) drastic weight loss, nothing is worse than having a jacket you can no longer wear because it’s now too big to wear.   I Had a leather jacket a while back that went through that tragedy. :(

Unlike jewerly, which can fit almost all body types, jackets can’t.  Just my .02

Go with the jacket but don’t make any drastic weight loss or weight gain decisions.

• 2 months later...