THIS OR THAT? (Use me for all your Should I Buy...? questions)

tweeds

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, MileHighEvertonian said:

I'd like to get a non-denim pant back into the wardrobe, and I'm really liking the look and measurements of 3sixteen's new Fatigue Pants. Most chinos and pants are way too slim in the knee and lower leg for me. But $265 seems really expensive. Any other non-slim/non-denim alternatives worth considering? 

I don't have any, but the Orslow fatigues look cool.

Or Stevenson fatigues as well.

On 2/15/2019 at 2:06 AM, MileHighEvertonian said:

I'd like to get a non-denim pant back into the wardrobe, and I'm really liking the look and measurements of 3sixteen's new Fatigue Pants. Most chinos and pants are way too slim in the knee and lower leg for me. But $265 seems really expensive. Any other non-slim/non-denim alternatives worth considering? 

I'm having the same thought recently and am interested in the orslow fatigues but again they're pricey. I like the UES baker pants as well. Any sateen baker pants really. 

Stan Ray do an affordable made in USA alternative. 

Edit: should have read to the bottom of the page...my contribution = UES! ;)

Edited by UkeNo

Thanks, all. Despite the price tag, I ultimately decided to spring for some brown MF Shipyard Chinos (rather than the Sportsman). Compared to jeans, pants have been much harder for me to get enthusiastic about at these prices. But I think these MFs are distinct enough from a run of the mill chino/fatigue look without being too over-the-top, which means I'll actually want to wear them consistently. The Stan Ray option is definitely one I'll keep in my back pocket; thanks for the tip. 

I have a small dilema, and can't make up my mind... Long story short, I have 3 new pairs of Vivo boots in front me; I'm keeping 1 pair, sending 2 back. They are made of hand-finished Camel leather, and all three leathers are very different in color and suppleness. The pair I like the most has a 1" cut on the inside of the boot. I assume it was an errant knife stroke when the hide was stripped. If the leather is, say, 2.0mm thick, the cut is about 1.5mm deep. It doesn't go all the way through, and is not visible at all on the outside, finished face. But it can be felt when I run a finger over it. Eventually I fear the cut would tear through the surface. Do I:

a) keep the pair I like best and patch the cut . I'm thinking of applying a flexible UV resin to the cut to fill it in, and then put a moleskin patch over it. It's in an area where I probably wouldn't feel it. 

b) not risk the patch and keep the distant-#2 pair. 

20190213_183339.thumb.jpg.6326de297a7a2cad77d57ebcb1e65507.jpg

:huh::unsure:

John Lofgren - TSPTR sneakers sizing. 

Only available in full US sizing (no halfs) with advice that they run half a size big - ie. Size down half a size. 

I'm a UK 10 in most footwear - could probably squeeze into a UK 9.5 / US 10.5 in them. 

So any thoughts for me?

I think a US11 will be too big and figure the US10 should fit like a UK 9.5. 

That sound right? 

Edit: Blue or white hi tops? 

https://tsptr.com/collections/footwear/

Edited by UkeNo

44 minutes ago, JDelage said:

Double black or denim indigo? Which one do you like best / find most versatile for jeans?

Not a fan of black jeans. They look best on thin guys and worn a bit tighter in my opinion. A looser fit reminds me of older guys trying to "dress up", if that makes sense. 

Denim indigo is much more versatile and better for me. 

Both top notch jackets mate. I tried the Connors WW2 - it's awesome, fit, denim, everything - and would have got one if I hadn't just had a jacket splurge. Really like the Freewheelers too so would be good to see one on here regularly. How's that for sitting on the fence :)

I remember that as well. :D I think her reasoningong is that I’ve got two other denim jackets that are very similar in my TCB 50’s jacket and my Flat Head type II. Only thing holding me back in the Freewheelers jacket is the fact that the length is only 24 in. and I’m 6’3”. 

Any experience with Sugar Cane California? Is it all MIJ, or does the country of origin vary? How's the quality, overall? I've been searching around for leather-yoked down vests, and the SC California one (http://www.mil-mil.net/docs/sugarcane/jacket/sc12340/sc12340.html) has kept popping up, but I don't know enough about the sub-brand to want to click buy quite yet.

Any other recommendations for this sort of vest? Doesn't need to be from a "heritage"-style company, but I do like the leather yoke and this isn't something that I'm used to seeing from Sierra Design / REI / Mountain Hardware / etc. Would prefer not to spend more than around $150-200.

Made in China.  Hinoya or Vintage Paradise usually states it for the vests and jackets.  If it was me, I'd go with Rocky Mountain Featherbed for that style of vests and jackets.

Edited by mlwdp

I own the RM and have tried the above SC ones on in Hinoya. The RM is definitely a better quality vest and if I recall a tiny bit longer in the body and fuller/puffier. 

However that's reflected in the price and the SC were in no way poor quality. 

Rocky Mountain Featherbed looks like just what I'm after, but a little rich for me considering that it's only vest weather a few months out of the year here…great recommendation anyway, thanks for that.

I thought I'd read somewhere about SC California being Made in China, but was hoping I'd misremembered—oh well. I'm happy to believe that the quality's still there, but that's probably a dealbreaker for me anyway on principle.

I'll have to look into Crescent Down Works. So continues the search.

Need some suggestions for new jeans. I will outgrow my current pair in a few months. I am currently wearing the 40bsp and before that was the sugar cane OKBSP then 316 21bsp. I want to get out of the bsp since it’s working leas for me. Looking for something between slim and straight with a slight taper. Was thinking the strike gold 009LTD