THIS OR THAT? (Use me for all your Should I Buy...? questions)

tweeds

I'm getting some store credits at Denimio for a return and Sugar Cane are a brand who have been on my radar for a while. I'm really interested in SC40301 14OZ RYUKYU INDIGO MIXED SUGAR CANE DENIM - BUT the SC40401 14OZ HAWAIIAN INDIGO MIXED SUGAR CANE DENIM have also peaked my interest. I am a "healthy" size 36, does anyone have first hand experience with either of these denim and do they stretch out after numerous wears? 

Thanks.

3 hours ago, Toegun said:

I'm getting some store credits at Denimio for a return and Sugar Cane are a brand who have been on my radar for a while. I'm really interested in SC40301 14OZ RYUKYU INDIGO MIXED SUGAR CANE DENIM - BUT the SC40401 14OZ HAWAIIAN INDIGO MIXED SUGAR CANE DENIM have also peaked my interest. I am a "healthy" size 36, does anyone have first hand experience with either of these denim and do they stretch out after numerous wears? 

Thanks.

I have the Okinawa Sugar Cane (your first option). As far as I understand it, those models are cut the same, with the same denim & different details. The Okinawa starts darker than the Hawaii.

It's a great option. They are comfy pants with a lot of room in the thighs, like a 501 1947 cut. I have big legs for my waist, and those are great for that kind of body.

The denim itself has a lot of character - I posted a close up of my pair in the Sugar Cane thread just a couple days ago. The value can't be beat IMHO.

You can read on the 2 jeans on Selfedge's site (I bought mine from them):

http://www.selfedge.com/sugar-cane?product_id=189

http://www.selfedge.com/sugar-cane?product_id=280

^^ I have experience with both. The Hawaii (lot 401) will likely stretch a little more than the Okinawa (lot 301).

edit: ^ They are the same cut and feature similar details, but use very different fabric. Same 50/50 yarns, but the Hawaii is a RHT dyed with a mix of natural and synthetic dyes for a very streaky mix of true blues while the Okinawa is a LHT dyed with (I believe) 100% synthetic indigo, and starts off with much more of a classic greyish hue. The Okinawa starts to lose color considerably more quickly.

Edited by julian-wolf

Does a product description count? Vari, by way of Google Translate, notes that "This product blend synthesized and Hawaii indigo indigo" (see https://global.rakuten.com/en/store/vari/item/sc-pt-sc40401a/). When I get home, I can double-check the flasher and brochure, as I think that's where I originally got the idea.

1 hour ago, julian-wolf said:

Does a product description count? Vari, by way of Google Translate, notes that "This product blend synthesized and Hawaii indigo indigo" (see https://global.rakuten.com/en/store/vari/item/sc-pt-sc40401a/). When I get home, I can double-check the flasher and brochure, as I think that's where I originally got the idea.

I've bought from Vari before (have no idea why you would Google translate).

Technically, they went out of business last year in March.  Looks like they came back but under a different name.

Edited by mlwdp

6 hours ago, JDelage said:

I have the Okinawa Sugar Cane (your first option). As far as I understand it, those models are cut the same, with the same denim & different details. The Okinawa starts darker than the Hawaii.

It's a great option. They are comfy pants with a lot of room in the thighs, like a 501 1947 cut. I have big legs for my waist, and those are great for that kind of body.

The denim itself has a lot of character - I posted a close up of my pair in the Sugar Cane thread just a couple days ago. The value can't be beat IMHO.

You can read on the 2 jeans on Selfedge's site (I bought mine from them):

http://www.selfedge.com/sugar-cane?product_id=189

http://www.selfedge.com/sugar-cane?product_id=280

5 hours ago, julian-wolf said:

^^ I have experience with both. The Hawaii (lot 401) will likely stretch a little more than the Okinawa (lot 301).

edit: ^ They are the same cut and feature similar details, but use very different fabric. Same 50/50 yarns, but the Hawaii is a RHT dyed with a mix of natural and synthetic dyes for a very streaky mix of true blues while the Okinawa is a LHT dyed with (I believe) 100% synthetic indigo, and starts off with much more of a classic greyish hue. The Okinawa starts to lose color considerably more quickly.

@JDelage and @julian-wolf thanks for your responses. The Ryukyu (or Okinawa) are still my first choice, hopefully they stretch out enough as the 36 are listed as being 35.5. But I do like the Hawaiian as they are a different shade then the usual selevedge denim. 

Following up on the above: I looked through the brochure ("Sugar Cane", "This is our Pride") that shipped with the jeans, but couldn't find any info on the dyeing, just the production of the yarns themselves (properties of sugar millet fibers, etc.). I'm not sure where I got the idea, initially, that the Hawaiis use a mix of natural and synthetic dyes, but I think that Vari's correct about that being the case.

On 4/6/2018 at 10:59 AM, mlwdp said:

I've bought from Vari before (have no idea why you would Google translate).

Do (did) they have an english-language site? If so, I was never aware of it. Google translate has always been my go-to for Rakuten descriptions, but if there's a better option out there I'd love know.

@julian-wolfAs long as you access their shop through Rakuten Global instead of their regular JP site (like ne.jp, etc) you should be good.   Rakuten Global converts the sites.  I got a couple posts about this in the Small Questions Thread.

12 minutes ago, julian-wolf said:

Huh, good to know. In any case, though, does it not just convert the descriptions using some equivalent of Google translate?

Page 571 and 569 should make it a little clearer with a walk through for purchases.

Thanks, but I understand how to purchase through Rakuten. What I'm unclear on is whether their auto-translation differs in any meaningful way from Google's so as to warrant you "[having] no idea why [I ] would Google translate".

Edited by julian-wolf
bad bbcode

I don't come across the translation issue personally, whether I access either through Safari or Chrome.  The only time the Google translate is different for me is on the ne.jp shop link which reads differently on the Global Rakuten link of the same shop.

Now, on the other hand, Bing's translation on the phone sucks.  Doesn't translate as good and leaves half of the text untranslated or takes forever.

2 hours ago, i_denim said:

You didn't ask for other suggestions but for anyone fancying that style in opulent horsehide, "Jorge" by the The Last Conspiracy delivers:

tlc1048_036_b_1024x1024.jpg?v=1510668848

• 2 weeks later...

Any experience with Kaminari tees? Okay quality? In high school I drove a 280ZX, and since then I've had a real soft spot for early Z's. Saw this shirt on the sale section of milwaukee and am seriously tempted…

http://www.mil-mil.net/docs/zx01/kaminari/s-tee/kmt59/kmt59.html

^ Thanks for the info. Ever seen them in person? Comments on fabric / construction quality? Love the graphics, but I'm not sold on spending $30 + international shipping on a crappy tee just 'cause I identify with the design

Eh, I'm not into either brand so if you like it you can try to get it through mil mil or Rakuten which is easier IMO.  I've bought from Earth Market before.  I'm sure there are more shops on Rakuten that carry this brand.

• 2 weeks later...

Levi's 501 is regular straight but Japanese super denim manufacturers not strictly follow Levi's 501 cut. I have never went wrong with Levi's 501 cut.

Guys, I need your advise that which cut to select when it comes with Japanese super denim between Slim Straight vs Regular Straight (i.e aka Middle Straight) ?, sometimes middle straight is too loose in some models also slim straight seems to be too tight.

For example PBJ XX-003 vs PBJXX-005

or Fullcount 1101XX vs 1108XX

or Flat Head 3001 vs 3005 vs 3009