THIS OR THAT? (Use me for all your Should I Buy...? questions)

tweeds

9 hours ago, SLAB said:

Standard&strange ooe yufukuten saddle pants

Or

Rivet&hide RJB RFR004 relaxed tapered

There's a pretty big fit difference in the top block, so I'd say to go off those preferences. That rise on the RJB RFR004 is loooowwwwww, with a very small back rise too. The Saddle pants are quite high rise, with plenty of room around the hips.

On 8/12/2017 at 6:40 PM, FeloniousMonk said:

There's a pretty big fit difference in the top block, so I'd say to go off those preferences. That rise on the RJB RFR004 is loooowwwwww, with a very small back rise too. The Saddle pants are quite high rise, with plenty of room around the hips.

I would not describe our RFR-004 collaboration with RJB as having a low rise. One of the reasons we have done this collaboration is because RJB core  jeans do have a very low rise that prohibits many customers from enjoying its great denim. The back rise of the 33w is 15.25 raw and will settle at 15" after shrinkage and stretch.

^ Sorry, I think I must have mistaken your one-wash measurements for raw. You definitely made nice changes to the rise and fit. Glad that amazing denim has finally been made into more wearable cuts. The major difference between the cuts is still probably the rise, but you're right that it's more of a mid- versus high-rise distinction.

• 2 weeks later...

Please recommend me a regular / straight pair for the upcoming contest. I need 13" thighs and 9.75" knees on a true 34" waist. I already have a IH 1995S, a SC Okinawa, and a SDA SD-101, all of which I like. I'm considering a Stevenson (San Francisco?) or a Warehouse, but I'm open to other suggestions... Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Let's say I have a  +/- 350 eur budget for a new winter coat, what would you recommend? I'm after something I could wear with a denim jacket underneath, so wide and long enough for it. Preferably navy blue color. Something warm enough for winter in Northern Italy, that pairs well with what you guys see me wear on this forum. I'm considering to get a new peacoat but I'm open to other solutions as well as I worn a peacoat already for a few years.

Thanks in advance

Edited by volvo240thebest

Ha! I had my duffle coat era and owned three different duffle coats by glover all! I kept only a short one in beige, use it every once in a while but I think it looks kinda funny with a pair of engineer boots. Definitely looking for something else. But thanks for the tip, I should have been more precise.

i go for a reefer

coat that is

but that is essentially a pea...

otherwise the gloverall is pulled out for super cold or barbour for rain

filson is my next port of call...

[but then actually went a searching - best is the mackinaw cruiser, but not straight navy, a check instead... my love of the blanket coat coming out there...]

https://www.filson.com/uk/men/coats-jackets/mackinaw-cruiser-alaska-fit.html#1037

happy searching volvo

Edited by bartlebyyphonics

The Mackinaw is a classic. I'm in Seattle, so Filson is close to my heart - physically if nothing else. I have an older blue & black Filson wool coat that I bought for a song in a surplus store in '99. Still going strong.

Another option would be a waxed cotton jacket like a Barbour (Filson makes them too, cheaper and more rugged than Barbour).

@volvo240thebest - I too have been looking for a decent winter coat int he same price range for years. Since I haven't been able to find anything I really like enough to  purchase, I've making due with my IH denim jacket w/ a cheap, thin puffy underneath, or a Carhartt hooded fleece lined coat. I concur with the other guys that the Filson Mackinaw Cruiser is a really good option, and I've often considered it. My issue is with Filson's fits - I find them to be odd. Really boxy with high, tight slender arms. Quality is very good. If you can make the fit work for you. 

Personally, I don't like waxed jackets like Barbour (I have on a love it, will always keep it), except if you're in constant rainy conditions. Waxed cotton doesn't breath well, and soon it's like wearing a portable sauna. I'ts old tech, but still has a place in some situations. 

I'm still looking around and I'll post whatever I find... 

Hi there. Filson is a good suggestion although exactly as @mpukas says they seem to fit odd.

at the moment I'm considering either a peacoat (which is the best I could find under 350 eur, even 2nd hand?) or a Le Laboreur wool chore coat which is not bad at all and cost less than my budget.  They just started to make it in navy blue, too.

Hey all

I’m looking for jeans with plenty thigh room and wide pocket openings. I usually wear a size 31 in jeans, and I’m looking for something like 12.5”+ in the thighs. Or something close enough.

So far my best bet seems to be UES 400T, but before I bite the bullet I want to weigh out my other potential options first. Would TCB 50’s be another good choice? I’ve recently tried on the WORKERS Lot 801 but that wasn’t really what I was looking for, it was close though.

I want a pair where I can easily fit my hand in and out of the front pockets, and has a roomy top block. Preferably tapered or straight fits.

Thanks!

@volvo240thebest - have you looked at the Woolrich Wool Hunting Coat? Not made in USA, good price point, and knowing Woolrich from years past it'll be very warm and durable but very rough and itchy wool. I'm considering this, either olive or red plaid, despite the game pocket... I think you'd look sharp in Italy with this coat. ;) mpp

11 hours ago, mpukas said:

@volvo240thebest - have you looked at the Woolrich Wool Hunting Coat? Not made in USA, good price point, and knowing Woolrich from years past it'll be very warm and durable but very rough and itchy wool. I'm considering this, either olive or red plaid, despite the game pocket... I think you'd look sharp in Italy with this coat. ;) mpp

Cheers mpp I've tried to click on the link but it takes me directly to the Italian version of Woolrich website which sports only the peasant parkas all my compatriots are so fond of! No hunters jacket whatsoever!

hhmmmm... must be a global internet location thingy. It seems there's very little, if any, availability of this model net-wide; Anyway, here are pics of  the front, no others on their website; edit: it retails for $280USD

Men's Wool Hunting Coat

Men's Wool Hunting Coat

Edited by mpukas
price added

Chinos - I think I need a pair of chinos. I don't have any. The only pants I have and wear are jeans. The GF and I are going to France in mid-late November ( YAY!!! I've never been to France and I'm very excited, Paris and coastal wine regions) and I'm thinking I might need chinos for some occasions where jeans may not be appropriate. I'd like to have a nice pair of chinos anyway. I'll hardly ever wear them, so I don't want to spend too much., as I would on jeans. 

I'm very happy with my pair of Bronson chinos, they come super cheap and with a nice vintage cut (high waist and super loose) but with all the hassle for getting them thorough taobao you may as well not receive them before you leave for France.

The Buzz Rickson officer chinos are a good choice if you still wish to buy from Japan. They're still not very expensive if you buy from Rakuten, Hinoya has them. Good vintage cut.

can't comment on the US brands but I kinda remember left field had some nice chinos, but perhaps too expensive for your budget.

I'm looking for suggestions for 5-pocket pants ("jeans") in either non denim (e.g., corduroy) or non indigo / black denim. Cut needs to be regular straight or loose (slight tapper is OK). Thanks!

Chinos are tough, I haven't really found a pair that I completely love.
I have a pair of Stevenson Hilts that I bought years ago and I finally actually fit into. They're great, just wish they had metal buttons.
Been wanting to try a pair of the Samurai SJ42CP's, just haven't ponied up and bought a pair yet. The back rise measurement always scares me.

• 5 weeks later...