THIS OR THAT? (Use me for all your Should I Buy...? questions)

tweeds

On 3/4/2017 at 4:30 PM, JDelage said:

All - looking for a cold weather coat. What do you think?

Of the two jackets, I prefer the looks of the Filson jacket.  Should be very durable, and probably the warmer of the two jackets.  

When it comes to deck jackets, I prefer the original style (not modern takes) and would recommend Buzz or McCoys.  My experience with the Buzz jackets is if you live south of I-70, get the standard version, north get the heavier Demotex version.  Beware, they'll have their design flaws. They were meant to be worn over deck pants, so to get the proper fit in the chest/shoulder/armpits it may be roomy in the lower torso and let in some cold air.  You can tighten the drawstring, but that will make the waistband rope like on the hem of a pair of jeans, and like the hem it will wear.  I have a few tiny holes in the waist band of my Buzz N-1 after two winters of not especially heavy wear.     

Leather jacket jacket were mentioned. When it comes to sheepskin, I'd go with the B-6. The B-3 is so damn heavy, and only comfortable in the coldest of weather.  And you'll roast wearing it in a car.  If you must have a heavier sheepskin jacket, I'd go with the AN-J-4, it seems like a more practical fit/design than the B-3.  I had a redskin ELC B-6 years ago, and if I got another I'd get the version made of the darker sheepskin. It's softer, will break in easier, and fit better (and keep out the cold air better).     

Just spent a few days going down a black hole of leather jackets.... Agree on the B6, AN-J-4 (or even D1) being more convenient than B3. Maybe not the right time for a warm jacket after all as we roll into Spring.

With regard to deck jackets, I'm completely taken by the Freewheelers hook & zip version, but the only place I can find it at sells it for $1,200, so nope nope nope.

• 3 weeks later...

Should I replace my too big, worn out Levis trucker, which I sold, with a smaller denim jacket...or wear one of my 2 leather jackets, one black studded biker, one plain navy biker....

i only wear jeans, sometimes double denim works, sometimes not,,but I miss my denim jacket..but a lot of my clothes are too big, so gradually I'm trying to replace with ones that fit...

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/03/2017 at 7:02 AM, Mojique said:

Should I replace my too big, worn out Levis trucker, which I sold, with a smaller denim jacket...or wear one of my 2 leather jackets, one black studded biker, one plain navy biker....

i only wear jeans, sometimes double denim works, sometimes not,,but I miss my denim jacket..but a lot of my clothes are too big, so gradually I'm trying to replace with ones that fit...

@Mojique I totally recommend TCB type 2, pretty slim with a longer torso and longer sleeves. The denim is extra special !

@Collin

Thank you so much, but I already ordered a much smaller Levis jacket, as I missed my old one.

Will check out the one you suggested though, as never too much denim!

@Bobbo

i did exactly that-you can't wear a biker in the summer..I can't wait for it to arrive!

Edited by Mojique

Hmmm the purchase may not happen for a while but no harm in planning ahead :P

Resolute 710, Full Count 1108, or Denime 66xx? 

I do have a pair of Studio D'artisan 103. How would any of these fit comparatively? 

Edited by LQW

Thanks, @beautiful_FrEaK! Your reviews of both are much to blame for my current lusting. 

I've only ever worn 28 but stretching my denim back out in the waist and crotch every time I wash them is starting to get tiring. Should I size TTS on the full count/resolute or size up one so theres room for extra shrink? You can check out my WAYWT post from today to get an idea of my SD103 fit in the top block. 

In truth, I'm a bit hesitant to try anything slimmer than my SDA (though mine are probably just tight because I could have sized up). It seems both the Fullcount and the Resolutes have smaller leg openings (my 103's should be 8 or 7.9 inches). I wonder if there's a fit that's basically the 103 but a slightly higher rise?

Anyways, I'm confused about the measurements for the Resolute 710. Here are a comparison of the measurements for size 29 off BiG and BEARS on rakuten.

BiG            BEARS

Waist            28         70cm=27.6

Front Rise    10.5       26.5cm=10.2

Back Rise     13.75     35cm=13.78

Knee             8                  ----

Thigh            11           25cm=9.8

Hem              7.15        19cm=7.5

Specifically, there's a rather large discrepancy in the thigh and the leg opening. Anyone know which is more accurate?

3sixteen ST-120XK or Pronto x IH PIH5DCT 

i know they are really different, but currently looking for indigo/indigo or indigo/black and unsanforized. just something different from my current rotation/brands ( Momo 0105SP, PBJ XX013, Oni x Tanuki tapered). 

^I would also add that 25 oz (IHxPronto) will be very hot and thick - you have to decide wether that makes sense in your climate and wetehr you want to wear such heavy fabrics at all.

Same goes for @1fookntitefd. I think that Slim cuts and too heavy denim don't make a good combination, so in doubt I'd always choose the lighter denim.

On 3/4/2017 at 4:30 PM, JDelage said:

All - looking for a cold weather coat. What do you think?

1) Filson Down Cruiser - made in Seattle (where I am), plenty of pockets, water resistant, best color (olive)

https://www.filson.com/men/coats-jackets/down-cruiser-10652.html

2) IH N-1 Jacket - more stylish (but maybe less warm?), trimer fit & looks, legendary construction quality

https://www.ironheart.co.uk/jackets/ihm-14.html

What do you guys think? Any other option I should look into?

A late answer but-I'd go IH N-1.  Wet wool will keep you warm in the rain. Wet down-agh. And water resistant is just that, if it rains enough you're gonna get wet. I own down coats & the N-1. Cold & dry down is great- cold and wet wool is better. N-1 should be plenty warn unless you live in Norway.

• 2 weeks later...