THIS OR THAT? (Use me for all your Should I Buy...? questions)

tweeds

Surprised there isn't a dedicated leather jacket thread around here, so I figured I would ask here.

I'm looking for a good leather jacket and I don't think I'll be able to go to a Japanese brand like Flat Head because they don't make anything in my size, so I'm looking into some of the custom makers.

Which way did you go? I'm very interested in those Himel jackets myself...

i usually buy a new pair of jeans every 2ish years and want to retire my current pair (eternal 883s, partly because i've put on weight. previous pairs were samurai 710s and momotaros 0701s).

i'm torn between orslow 107s or something by studio d'artisan. has anyone owned the former? i'm 6'1 so the inseam might be a little short, but probably not a deal breaker.

Surprised there isn't a dedicated leather jacket thread around here, so I figured I would ask here.

@Broak - I've been wondering the same thing. I too am strongly considering a new leather jacket (I've always had one, but looking back at what I've had they were pretty bad when considered with what I now know). I'm interested int he same style and details as you, and have been looking into the same makers. It seems that once you start to really get into it, the same makers keep coming up in different circles. 

THF jacket at SE is pretty much a grail jacket for me. A bit too pricey though. And honestly, although it seems most guys like a half belt on the back, I really don't. I like things very clean and simple, and somehow a half belt is a little too busy for me. I guess an ideal jacket for my taste would be a Buco J-100 with a collar. 

Not sure if mentioned before, but Lost Worlds is another one to have a look at. Their Suburban Leather Jacket is really nice looking. 

I really like the sugar cane 50/50 fabric but it's only available with the Okinawa and Hawaii. I'm not fond of the cut and back pocket lay out of Either but may take the plung if I can size down.

OTHO mister freedom also does the calf lot in this fabric. Also a "wider " cut.

So SC oki/Hawaii v. Mister freedom

I really like the sugar cane 50/50 fabric but it's only available with the Okinawa and Hawaii. I'm not fond of the cut and back pocket lay out of Either but may take the plung if I can size down.

OTHO mister freedom also does the calf lot in this fabric. Also a "wider " cut.

So SC oki/Hawaii v. Mister freedom

For what it's worth, Hinoya has one pair left in size 32 of its Sugarcane 2014 cut in the 50/50 denim:

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/hinoya/item/sc41485/

• 2 weeks later...

I have a bias towards the SC47s and feel they're underrated; they take patience but just looking down on mine right now, in all their streakiness, reminds me of why I like them so much.

And the SC47 are the best bang for the buck 

Well, the brief Selfedge summer sale made the choice easy. SC 1947s are en route and even more bang for the buck at the discounted price! 

If they are what I think they are, I might be done hunting...I'm very much at a point where the same pair once every 12-18 months would do me good. 

Thanks again for the input.

i usually buy a new pair of jeans every 2ish years and want to retire my current pair (eternal 883s, partly because i've put on weight. previous pairs were samurai 710s and momotaros 0701s).

i'm torn between orslow 107s or something by studio d'artisan. has anyone owned the former? i'm 6'1 so the inseam might be a little short, but probably not a deal breaker.

I bought the 107 few days ago. Pure simple quality jeans.

Yea the inseam is on the shorter side. I am 5'10 and can make a 2inch single cuff. I have got fit pics in the Orslow thread I started.

• 2 weeks later...

Noob on this forum. Any high-quality street-style denim brands that you recommend? Looking for a good combo of quality construction/fabrics and style. Think Kapital but not.

I know from reading SUFU that a lot of you guys lean more toward repro/classic stuff, but maybe someone can help guide me a bit.

Thank you!

I've narrowed my options down to SD-107, JBCD0463-IDBL COTE D'IVOIRE, or ST-120x "Shadow Selvedge"

The SD107s seem to shrink ~1.75'' in waist so I should probably get size 30 instead of 29. All the other measurements look like they will shrink to what my 012s measure right now.

I may or may not get a size 30 instead of 29 for the JBCD0463s since they are sanforized but the tag size 30 are 30.7'' waist and may shrink a tiny bit. I always wear a belt anyway in case it's a little loose since I am essentially a 30 TTS. Any thoughts on whether I should go 29 or 30?

No questions about the 3sixteens..

Edited by midnite9

• 2 weeks later...

Noob on this forum. Any high-quality street-style denim brands that you recommend? Looking for a good combo of quality construction/fabrics and style. Think Kapital but not.

I know from reading SUFU that a lot of you guys lean more toward repro/classic stuff, but maybe someone can help guide me a bit.

Thank you!

When I think of street style, I think of that highly distressed jeans look like many of Kapital's jeans, but I take it that's not your definition?

What particular characteristics are you looking for? With exception of a few hardcore repro brands, most other brands mentioned on this forum would work

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in the market for a hoodie...I had my eye on something from 3sixteen or the real mccoys but came across American Giant. Anyone have experience? The price point is definitely a lot cheaper than 3sixteen or RMC but are the latter worth the extra cost?

I've had two am giant hoodies and have handled the 3sixteen too; with am giant you kinda get what you pay for. The quality is good for the price, but sizing is all over the place. Weight is heavy, Construction is okay but not as good as anything by 3sixteen. I would have picked up a rmc ball park hoodie this summer, but after having experienced a strike gold hoodie with similar pockets I decided against it. I just don't find the upward slant style of the pockets practical at all. I would say the 3sixteen hoodie is gonna be the happy medium, for me anyways.

I'm looking to get a new pair of jeans. In the past I've owned Samurai 007's, some PBJ's, APC New Standards,  LVC47's, and Naked & Famous Weird Guys.

A few years ago I picked up a pair of Mexican-made Levi's 501 STF's at a strip mall, got them tapered at a tailor, and they've been my go-to jean ever since. All good things come to an end, however, and now I need a new pair of jeans. I'm looking for something similar (or identical) to my 501 STF's, but with better denim, meaning a relatively roomy top block with medium/high rise, some space in the thighs and a taper. 

So far the the I'm leaning toward the LVC 1954 501's or Orslow 107's but I'd love to hear some other suggestions as well. I was a 34/34 in the STF's. For example, is there a japanese brand that makes a version of the 1954 501?

• 2 weeks later...

So trying to decide between the Rogue Territory SK Stealths and 3Sixteen ST-220x Double Blacks. Which would you recommend and why? I actually have the SK's in indigo and I like the fit, but wondering how the fit on the 220's differ. Any help would be greatly appreciated!