THIS OR THAT? (Use me for all your Should I Buy...? questions)

tweeds

The low tension weave does make them more comfortable than other heavyweights although it is a fairly slim fit so they can feel pretty snug. I suppose we're going into winter which will help.

But to be perfectly honest mate, I wore some normal jeans last weekend (Westride at c.14oz) and decided I was never going to buy heavyweight jeans again - they're just simply not as comfortable than jeans ought to be. It's taken me 3 pairs of heavyweights to reach that conclusion!

Unders, any interesting progress on your Westrides?

I handled the Westride 21.75 jeans yesterday and they didn't feel that heavy (weave felt somewhat loose). Adding them to the wish list and wondering how yours are doing.

They haven't had tonnes of love as I've been mostly wearing my DWC pair. Now starting to get frustrated with just focussing on one pair so I'm rotating them in more now.

So far I'd say I could have sized down as waist has stretched quite a bit, though the low rise would have made them indecent and probably uncomfortable. The denim's a bit hairy but on the whole very regular and even. I'm happy with the fit - slim straight, no taper - looks good with engineers.

They feel pretty lightweight so I get what you're saying about the 21.75 oz. Given the are meant for motorcyclists you'd think they'd be heavier like IH.

Overall I'm happy so far. I've been considering not getting a pair of black 101s although if they're not heavy as you say I might look at the 201s. The patch looks awesome on the 201.

Yes, I love the hair-on-hide patch!

I haven't bought any jeans in the 21 oz. category yet, and it wasn't possible to try on the Westrides, but they certainly felt nice. The denim is quite irregular and interesting in the hand. Anyway, looking forward to seeing the 14 oz'ers in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone!

Long time reader and first time poster. I've been agonizing over finding a new pair of jeans for the last few months and I think I've finally narrowed it down to a few. I've been looking for a pair that accommodates my thighs while still striking a slim silhouette (so a straight taper with a medium rise). I'd also love denim with some texture and character, especially if it contributes to the character of the fading.

3sixteen 21BSP

Samurai 710xx

Oni 527

Iron Heart 633

I've only tried on the 3sixteen and Iron Heart. The fit on the 3sixteen seems perfect and the denim is great but from what I've seen, they fade stubbornly (and the fades that I have seen, although nice, aren't terribly interesting-- am I wrong about this?). I've never tried on either the Samurai or the Oni so perhaps I'm mistaken about including them. If I've missed any pairs, please let me know!

I look forward to contributing more as I get started!

Never owned the BSP but they are a great pair of jeans fit, construction and material wise. I own Oni (517s though) and although the slub is everything people say it is I am a little disappointed in the.... feel (?) Of them, they just don't feel very dolid/sturdy.

Hey everyone!

Long time reader and first time poster. I've been agonizing over finding a new pair of jeans for the last few months and I think I've finally narrowed it down to a few. I've been looking for a pair that accommodates my thighs while still striking a slim silhouette (so a straight taper with a medium rise). I'd also love denim with some texture and character, especially if it contributes to the character of the fading.

3sixteen 21BSP

Samurai 710xx

Oni 527

Iron Heart 633

I've only tried on the 3sixteen and Iron Heart. The fit on the 3sixteen seems perfect and the denim is great but from what I've seen, they fade stubbornly (and the fades that I have seen, although nice, aren't terribly interesting-- am I wrong about this?). I've never tried on either the Samurai or the Oni so perhaps I'm mistaken about including them. If I've missed any pairs, please let me know!

I look forward to contributing more as I get started!

Depends on what you want your end result to be. Out of those 4 i would pick the 21bsp. It's a good mix of everything. slightly irregular fading, nice middle weight. Good mid rise slim taper

Here's Johan's pair http://www.3sixteen.com/blogs/news/17171460-well-aged-21bsp. Personally im not a fan of samurai due to them fading to white so fast. I think 21oz denim is a little extreme for daily year round wear so its too much of an outlier for that aspect.

Basically I would say pick the 21bsp. Here's another video of the 11bsp which has the same denim fading over a year

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

UN15-7-2_1024x1024.jpg?v=1452115827

UN15-84_1024x1024.jpg?v=1452115827

Or

tumblr_nrhor9bA9P1r3cjoco1_500.jpg

image_zpsn8dqof3v.jpg

Both are handmade with Horween Chromexcel and vibram sole. Brown boot is $15 more than black boot due to embroidery on toes. I can't decide between the two..

Edited by mlwdp

Yeah, the thread colors, while impressive work, are a bit much. If it was the same color as the rest of the stitching it would look ok, though I don't get that kind of stitching on a laced up boot. AFAIK stitching like that is done on roper / cowboy boots to reinforce the leather right where the lower laces sit on a lace-up boot, it looks weird to just put it down on the toe box.

• 2 weeks later...

Or

image_zpsn8dqof3v.jpg

Both are handmade with Horween Chromexcel and vibram sole. Brown boot is $15 more than black boot due..

Bought these instead. Coming from Mexico. Depending on the quality , these might be the "Senor Spielbergo" of Whites boots. Shameless Simpsons joke.

Or

image_zpsn8dqof3v.jpg

Both are handmade with Horween Chromexcel and vibram sole. Brown boot is $15 more than black boot due..

^

Bought these instead. Coming from Mexico. Depending on the quality , these might be the "Senor Spielbergo" of Whites boots. Shameless Simpsons joke.

Edited by mlwdp

• 2 weeks later...

^

Toss up a review when you get these. If you can compare them to red wings or whites or something that would be great! Also plz do a review on r/goodyearwelt 

There's been some talk about these boots there and i don't think anyone has reviewed them yet! Also, i like the rainbow stitching, its cool as fuck 

So I'm looking into belts, deciding between a couple from The Flat Head right now:

fh-ob-003-sd-02.jpg

Or:

fh-ob-002-sd-02.jpg

I've never really had a two pronged belt, but it looks kind of neat.

If anyone has experience with either belt (or just belt suggestions in general) any info would be much appreciated!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looking to cop baby's first varsity jacket.  Friend actually has tw Varsities, and offered to sell me one. 

Options are thom-browne-summer-letterman-jacket-1.jp

Or

thom-browne-2012-fall-winter-varsity-jac

I know one is a Spring/Summer and maybe Fall jacket, the other is a maybe Spring and Fall jacket.  I like the contrast on the navy, but not sure how versatile it would be.  Keep in mind that the Navy one is lined while the Spring one isn't.  Which would you cop?

Edited by Landau

• 3 weeks later...

Another Equus fan here, I only wear their belts at this point. I used to wear Flat Head's belts, but the novelty of a super thick veg tan belt wore off, and now I prefer the thickness of my Equus West End belts (with 1.5" width), which feel solid but not uncomfortable. 

The other issue I have with veg tan belts is that they don't match footwear that well. I wear my black belt with black/gray shoes, and my brown belt with brown ones. My super thick veg tan belts never looked that great with anything I ever wore (though your footwear may be a nice match.)

Flat Head's belts are very high quality, and the grade of leather is extremely high. But I think the likes of Equus are a better value.

Looking to pick up a chore/sack coat style jacket for spring summer. Possibles are Engineered Garments, they do 3 or more versions: Baker, Bedford and Loiter. RMC linen chore coat, Freewheelers or possibly an Orgueil. Any experience with the above or suggestions?