THIS OR THAT? (Use me for all your Should I Buy...? questions)

tweeds

I'm looking for my next new pair of jeans. There's a lot of bad influences around here, LOL! I'm looking for something a little extra special, something unique. Here's my short list thus far (I'd like to have all of them); 

Iron Heart 666 25oz

I really like heavy, dark denim, and the pics I've seen the color and texture looks pretty amazing. I like how the indigo almost looks black. Saying that, I think I getting over ultra-heavy denim - it's almost too hot for me, even in CO winters. Sometimes it's just too much. But oh so cool... 

Oni 20oz Secret denim (like Cander's new pair) or the 546 22oz Kabuki

I know nothing about Oni, but I really like the looks of cander's new secret denim. It's not a brand that gets much press around here, or anywhere. 

Flat Head 2111 20oz

I don't own any Flat Head jeans, and I want to know what the buzz is all about. I do have RJB 105BSP, and like them a lot. From what I've read on the Flat Head thread, their 20oz denim is not common, and these jeans are highly regarded. Measurements are appealing. 

Samurai S510XXOG 16ozAK

Rather spendy. And 16oz is on the lighter side for my preference. But what's been discussed in the Samurai thread about being hand dyed natural indigo and persimmon is truly unique. I really like S510 cut, and would love to have a pair sized properly (my S510XX 25oz are 34's and are too big - I'd even consider going to a 32 in these). Organic cotton that was was grown by Samurai also adds to the coolness factor. 

Samurai S710OG 16oz

This seems to the be the most favored cut for westerners, and I like the measurements. Similar to FH 2111, no? Different from what I currently have. Again the organic cotton is appealing. 

I'm open to other suggestions. All comments/thoughts welcome. Cheers! mpp

Some good jeans on your list most definitely.

I own two of those listed: The Flat Head 2111 and Samurai 710OG.

Of those two I personally like the Samurai's a bit more, mainly due to the cut.

I found the rise of the 2111 a little low for my liking and the 20 oz denim is quite tightly woven and does not breathe very well.

With you being in Colorado this shouldn't be as much of an issue, but it's tough for me wearing 20 oz denim year round in Texas.

Comparing the 2111 and 710OG cut wise I would say the 710OG has more rise and room in the top block, the leg and hem are similar although I've found that the 710OG ended up settling better after a hem. There is also more room in the thigh on the 710OG.

My only knock on the 710OG is that I've already noticed a good bit of broken stitching (not in any serious areas, but having only worn them for a handful of months with several washes I wouldn't have expected this many loose threads this early) around the front pockets, one of the belt loops and more recently the top button stitching.

From what I know this is somewhat common with Samurai since they use 100% cotton core stitching.

Hope that helps a bit!

ONI Secret Denim if you can find it in your size. With the Yen being so low right now, it looks like everyone has the same idea and is snagging it from Rakuten.

Edited by ecsong187

Broark - the cotton thread on Sam's is a dig deal for me. Almost a deal breaker. On my S510XX 25oz the thread is breaking at the coin pocket from carrying a knife with a clip. So far I haven't seen any other thread breakage. It really bothers me that for jeans that cost that much - especially the S510OG 16oz - that they use cotton thread that will likely breakdown before the denim itself. I could care less if it's authentic or not. 

Mpukas, Im pretty sure the oni is gonna be cotton thread as well. Iron heart might be your best bet unless the flat head has poly/cotton thread. I've had to resort to carrying my edc blades inside my pocket when wearing sams. Kind of a bummer.

Edited by SuperJackle

Mpukas yea just a week or two ago saw lots of sizes left in the ONI Secret Denim on Rakuten, but now it seems to be sold out all over Rakuten. Bummed I missed my chance on them! 

brief update on this, as it turns out brotherbridge and rolling dub trio are sister brands, which explain the similarity. RDT's are available in CXL vs BB's which seems to be the more standard pullup (and $200 less :ph34r: )

Been into heavies too much lately, so switching it up to something lighter in the 15oz range. Narrowed it down to these 2.

Jmc 991xh

Or

Sg5105

Just having a hard time deciding which one to go for. Thoughts anyone?

Been into heavies too much lately, so switching it up to something lighter in the 15oz range. Narrowed it down to these 2.

Jmc 991xh

Or

Sg5105

Just having a hard time deciding which one to go for. Thoughts anyone?

Man, as much as I love TSG's, I think the McCoy's have more character. I love those.

Man, as much as I love TSG's, I think the McCoy's have more character. I love those.

more character than the 5105?! I'm not familiar with mcoy's, was actually interested in the 991xh, but my pair of 5109s (which I've unfortunately exercised my way out of in the thigh) have some of the most interesting denim I've ever seen...Self Edge's description of being "almost like a persian rug" is quite apt.

Edited by lysosome

more character than the 5105?! I'm not familiar with mcoy's, was actually interested in the 991xh, but my pair of 5109s (which I've unfortunately exercised my way out of in the thigh) have some of the most interesting denim I've ever seen...Self Edge's description of being "almost like a persian rug" is quite apt.

I do admit the 51xx's have a very interesting fabric- I meant more of the overall feel of the pant. I don't know, I just get such a different vibe from the McCoys that I liked better than the SGs.

Hi there,

Trying to narrow down some wallet options. In regards to a plainer option I am looking at either; Real Mccoys Buco wallet in the saddle leather (not the cordovan), or Redmoon Bigman.

I am sure both are very nice and from great brands, but I am looking for some opinions as to whether one stands out from the other in terms of construction or leather quality. I am unable to view either of them in person unfortunately.

To add, if anyone has other suggests for similar wallets, it would be great to hear them.

Thanks.

I have no experience with the buco, the redmoon are beautiful but I have read comments about their longevity due to the thread they use. You cannot go wrong with Obbi Goods Label wallets, these guys live and breath leather and stand behind their products 100%. I have owned 2 wallets from them and they are beautiful gear. A couple of brands also to look at are Kawatako Flat Head and Voyej 

I currently own a pair of

ST-220x sz 33 (fits good waist is a hair to big, every 10 min or so i gotta pull them up an inch or they sag, not bad though, if i sized down one size they would not fit as well)

SExI14 sz 34 (one hot soak for 15 min when I first got them nothing since - they are a little big around the waist but good everywhere else, could possibly have sized down one in for the waist but then legs may have been too slim)

looking for a compareable pair, deciding between

flat head 3001 33

ST 130x 33

SG 1109

can someone give me pros and cons, compare the denims/cuts, make sure sizes look right, etc help me out before I drop some cash?

The SG 1109s are enticing because they have a little more thigh room then my st 220xs, but taper a big more through the knee and opening. more fitted look, but better overall fit.

Edited by kr00kd

you'd be a size 34 in the 1109's- just like the Imperials you have (I have these too). I would go with these as well. They have a more interesting fabric than the FH, plus a better fit IMO. The flat heads would have about a .5" larger leg opening - same with the STs. It seems like you have some trouble with sizing so I'd think unsanforized would be better for you. A full size down on the SG's would most likely be too small for you- you're just going to need to do a hotter, longer soak than your imperials with the 34.

Edited by mp201

you'd be a size 34 in the 1109's- just like the Imperials you have (I have these too). I would go with these as well. They have a more interesting fabric than the FH, plus a better fit IMO. The flat heads would have about a .5" larger leg opening - same with the STs. It seems like you have some trouble with sizing so I'd think unsanforized would be better for you. A full size down on the SG's would most likely be too small for you- you're just going to need to do a hotter, longer soak than your imperials with the 34.

thanks a lot for the help. the reason i was thinking about a sz 33 is because even though my imperials are a sz 34, i feel like I could have sized down one on them.

But you may be right, how would the fit from the 1109/2109 differ from the SExI14 - provided they are both sz 34? (im eyeing a pair of sz 34 2109's and a sz 33 1001 and 3001 on grailed). If I went with the sz 33 1001/3001, if I did a short cold soak do you think they would be find and not stretch too much?

Thanks again for the help. Finding the right pair of denim online is really hard to do, no matter how much reading and size measurements you do. Any help you can get is always much appreciated, and people who have owned them before have the best things to say because they have first hand experience.