THIS OR THAT? (Use me for all your Should I Buy...? questions)

tweeds

tjmadd, I've gotta hand it to you, you've been like a raw denim philosopher to me, haha.  Thanks for all your inputs man, I really appreciate the solid opinions and insights you've given me.

Regarding the whole molding process you've enlightened me further on (I knew about this, but I guess it didn't truly sink in yet at the time), that has definitely put me at more ease with regards to making a proper sizing purchase.

I think my top two choices are the 3Sixteen Shadow Selvedge and the Ande Whalls, I love how there is exclusivity with both--one being a specific fabric exclusive to 3Sixteen from the Kuroki Mills; the other being that it is a one man operation just makes it so unique.  But the other two on my list definitely look like solid jeans.

Yeah, I can see myself starting other raw denim projects in the future, quite possibly with the brands you have listed, haha. 

Thanks again for all the input!

Edited by eXtremity03

It seems like all of those fits would probably be close enough to what you're looking for that you would be happy with them...one of the nice things about raw denim is that as long as you size them right, and get the jeans hemmed to a length that is suitable for you, jeans will stretch a little where you need them to and shape to your body in a way that makes a pair fit you just right, even if the measurements themselves don't read like exactly what you've set out for.  As long as you're looking at fits in the right ballpark, you should be happy with the fit of any of the four jeans you mentioned.  

If you think you'd like to try something that is a non-standard blue jean, the Shadow Selvedge from 3sixteen is pretty great, and you're right, it fades amazingly.  For me personally, the fact that it's the only jean in the bunch that is made with an exclusive fabric that was custom loomed to spec for the company making the jean, makes a world of difference.  I also appreciate the subtle detailing, and very clean production.  

There are cool things about all the other jeans as well...there is definitely something special about having a jean that is from a one man operation a la Ande Whall.  I've seen a couple worn pairs of Rogue Territories lately that have given me nothing but respect for the denim that they are using.  I've seen and handled less Railcar than the others, but I can't seem to open a page on superfuture without reading about people that are happy with their Railcars, and I've only ever heard that they are awesome people to deal with...this can be extra important when ordering online/over the phone.  

I think you've done a good job of narrowing down the selection and I'm glad that you're doing a little more swinging for the fences on your first pair.  My guess is that if you grab any of the four jeans above, you'll feel like you made the absolutely right decision, and you'll love everything about them, and they'll be a great experience.  You'll eventually buy other jeans, but it will be because you've worn these to a point where they are no longer dark and you want to start on another project.  Then maybe you'll revisit the three brands you pass on this time, or you'll be on to trying to figure out what you like most between Flat Head, Strike Gold, Pure Blue Japan, and Samurai.

Steven and Celise at Railcar are amazing. They will take your measurements and sew up a pair of pants, pretty much custom to you, which is great.

When I got my RDCX013 they didn't fit, so I sent them back and he just put a brand new pair of pants together for me, no cost. Really awesome what they're doing down there, and lots more to come.

Steven and Celise at Railcar are amazing. They will take your measurements and sew up a pair of pants, pretty much custom to you, which is great.

When I got my RDCX013 they didn't fit, so I sent them back and he just put a brand new pair of pants together for me, no cost. Really awesome what they're doing down there, and lots more to come.

Very cool.  I went to Lizard Lounge today to check some brands that I'm less familiar with out, and found out that Railcar is doing an event there in early October, which I'm going to try and check out.  

Looking for a billfold wallet with coin pocket in natural colour, I´m between: 

Mismo 

1fxv.jpg

100 euros (including shipping)

And Kawatako: 

bnts.jpg

Around 150 eur (Including shipping and proxy fees)

Differences between leather qualities?

It's $2.25, but $35 for shipping.  Personally, I factor shipping costs into my total purchasing price when the shipping is of a substantial amount--but that's just myself.

I know this is a completely different price range, but I'm just going to put it out there as a suggestion.

Roots Small Banff Bag:

http://canada.roots.com/SmallBanffBaginVintageTribeLeather/weekenderBags//18040220,default,pd.html?cgid=leatherLuggage&selectedColor=022

It's $348.00, quite a hefty price tag but it is a BEAUTIFUL bag, and damn well-made--in Canada!

I use to work part-time at the Roots leather factory, so I can personally say that the quality of the (Italian) leather and craftsmanship is of very high quality.  The leather is actually sorted in terms of the quality in each cutout from the skin--and only the finest parts of the skin are used for the bags and jackets.

I own this version--brown prince leather--but the Vintage Africa Tribe leather is a much more rugged and badass look.  There are other varieties too, so have a look!

18040212_2000_a_475x475.jpg

I bought this bag for my college graduation gift to myself--and I have no regrets.  I use to it for travel luggage, but now it has become my everyday duffel--but mostly my gym bag.

Natural chromexcel or Horsehide? Anyone can shed some advice on their characteristics?

Depends what you're using it for, and it depends on what kind of horsehide you're talking about.  If you're talking about a pair of boots from a brand like Whites or Viberg, I'd say horsehide all the way.  Natural chromexcel welcomes all sorts of stains and wear early in the game, which is is sorta like instant patina, but I think veg tanned leathers, horsehide or otherwise usually look better farther down the road.

I have a budget of SGD $600 and I am looking for a raw denim that is above 21oz (currently I already have an unbranded skinny 21oz in waist 33) I also have a weird guy ele 3 in waist 32 and I want something that will be similar fitting to these two jeans.

am thinking about the Lee 101z 23oz but got no chance to try it as I suppose Singapore don't stock them and also I am considering the IH 666 XHS but then again its out of stock in Singapore gotta wait for the new shipment to be in then I can try it IRL.

so what other brands do u guys recommend?

Edited by gazar

I think you need to get a better idea on the fit you want, all 3 of those are somewhat different, the stantons and the 710s are probably the closest but still a bit different depending how you size, but the ST fit is waaaaaay slimmer, mostly in the thigh, than the other two. I'd go with the SL instead cause the other two fits are more slim straight with a bit of taper but nothing too crazy.

I see you posted the contrast stitching for the RTs but the Black Hawks instead of Red Hawks, you should decide on stitching color you want.  Another point is the texture and weave you want, 3sixteen and Rogue are likely to be a more uniform fabric and a bit lighter than the Samurai. If you want dark stitching with a slubbier and heavier weight go Sam, other than that the 3sixteen and the RTs will be a matter of selling you on the aesthetics and finer points if they are the two choices in your mind.  This is just my 2 cents

If this isn't your first pair of raw denim, I'd grab the Okayama Spirit without question (inseam permitting). Elephant 3 otherwise.  

• 2 weeks later...

Recently made my first raw denim purchase on a pair of Ande Whall 15.3oz Indigo Mustangs and am thoroughly enjoying them.  I am contemplating making a purchase for a pair of raw black/double black to throw into a rotation, haha..

1) Ande Whall 14.5oz Black Mustang

2) Rogue Territory 15oz RK Stealth Black (Double Black)

Really digging that slant trouser-style pocket on the RGK, as it is a dressier kind of style.

Hello. I have just finished my NF Broken Twill project and I'm lookin for new pair. My NFs had blowout after 4 months. I want my new denim to be more durable so fabric have to be 14+oz. I want a little bit more room in top block and mid rise and narrow leg opening around 7,5" in sz 32. My budget is around 200-250$/200€

I'm considering:

Japan Blue x Momo tappered 14,8 oz

Japan Blue US Vintage cotton Tappered 14,8 oz

Rogue Territory SK 14,5oz

Tallason Ladbroke Grove 16,5oz

What do You think about this? Which pair should I lean on?

Best regards, Martin