THIS OR THAT? (Use me for all your Should I Buy...? questions)

tweeds

i'm looking to get a second pair of jeans, my first (ever) was 13.2oz and I'm looking at a pair of PBJ that are only 14oz. Is this enough of an upgrade for a second pair, or should i try and go even heavier?

I think you can go for 17oz denim.  It will depend on the cut...a looser cut can be easier to handle when you are new to the denim game. Go for a 66's cut like S5000 or a tapered cut in some of the other brands and you'll be fine.  A combination of skinny cut and heavy weight denim at this stage might be a bit too much.

Good point. But I do have slim thighs, so it's a non issue for me - though I've been hitting the gym pretty hard as of late and the thighs on my diors are getting tighter.

Ive been reading and doing bit of research and it seems the denim IH uses don't fade that well compared to FH?

SDA 001 are 14oz left-hand twill and considerably looser than FC 1101. If you're looking for something comparable you'd probably want to consider SDA 103 or a sized-down 101 (both 15oz right-hand twill).

hey guys, I'm looking to get back in to the dnim game once again, I've been off it for a year or 2 becaus eI was working a 3 jeans rotation but I've out grown them all (stupid gym) so I would love to see what out there nowadays.

I've had experience with FH, sugarcane, SDA, and looking for something in the 14 to 16 oz range.  I want something roomy up top in the top block since I have big thighs but yet have a slim silhouette. something with a tapper from knee down would be perfect.

I like black or really hard indigo denim, no streaky denim and it must fade well ! preferably a bright fade.

hope this isnt too much of a request :S  

Done with my APC and Dior jeans and I'm currently considering these:

Iron Heart 634S; Iron Heart IHXB01; Flat Head F310?

You should get the 634s. Buster rise is too high and the thighs are pretty slim, while an equivalent 634s has bigger thighs and retains the same size hem for the most part.

If he is currently wearing Dior, he can definitely get into Busters. Actually don't think that he should be considering 634s (or Busters). These are going to be too much of a straight cut. The 301 or 666 might be a better cut for him. If I had smaller thighs, I'd definitely be into some Flat Heads or PBJs.

Good point. But I do have slim thighs, so it's a non issue for me - though I've been hitting the gym pretty hard as of late and the thighs on my diors are getting tighter.

Ive been reading and doing bit of research and it seems the denim IH uses don't fade that well compared to FH?

Sanforized Iron Heart denim will be time consuming to fade. If you're looking for high contrast fades then you'll want to go with IH raws. Flat Heads are know to be fast faders...I'd also be looking into PBJ if I were you.

Edited by Al6ert

hey guys, I'm looking to get back in to the dnim game once again, I've been off it for a year or 2 becaus eI was working a 3 jeans rotation but I've out grown them all (stupid gym) so I would love to see what out there nowadays.

I've had experience with FH, sugarcane, SDA, and looking for something in the 14 to 16 oz range.  I want something roomy up top in the top block since I have big thighs but yet have a slim silhouette. something with a tapper from knee down would be perfect.

I like black or really hard indigo denim, no streaky denim and it must fade well ! preferably a bright fade.

You should look into Flat Head's 3009.  It seems like it'd fit you well - pretty large thigh but tapers to a nice leg opening.  Plus Flat Head fades seem right up your alley if you are ok with staying with a brand you've tried before...

Oops, I wasn't really paying attention to the 310....thats def a slim jean and if you're looking for that I would go for the 666s.  If I had smaller thighs I'd be rocking those right now... the 18oz denim is gnarly and looks fucking amazing if you like more contrast in your denims.  If you're looking for something straighter to accommodate future gains you should really consider the 634s.... I think the 21oz denim has plenty of contrast if you don't wash too often.

I think 14oz sounds like really big step for a denim novice, the purchase should not be taken without due consideration. If i was you i would go for a 13.6oz first and work your way up to the 14oz.

The general rule of thumb is 1oz of denim weight per year so when you have 8 years under your belt you will be ready for the 21oz.

haha, cute. If this were the case, 90% of the ppl participating in the HWDC2 would be unqualified.

I think that you should get the tapered fit from momotaro. They offer that fit at blueowl and they have a collab (bom005) that is a very dark, almost black, indigo denim. I think you will like the fit a lot as i too have big thighs and have found bom005 a favorite of mine. 

http://blueowl.us/scripts/psp/VB_Bridge3.dll?VBPROG=\bin\shop.prodt.detail&SKU=7586000

Looking to buy a new pair of slim/straight jeans mostly looking at Samurai and Iron Heart...

Currently wearing Evisu no1 for over a year and the cut is too full for me, I'm fairly slim, 5'8 140 lbs 31-31.5W and don't want hip flares like I got with the Evisu, don't want slim/skinny though.

Would the 710 in Samurai or the Beatle Buster in IH be good options?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

If he is currently wearing Dior, he can definitely get into Busters. Actually don't think that he should be considering 634s (or Busters). These are going to be too much of a straight cut. The 301 or 666 might be a better cut for him. If I had smaller thighs, I'd definitely be into some Flat Heads or PBJs. Sanforized Iron Heart denim will be time consuming to fade. If you're looking for high contrast fades then you'll want to go with IH raws. Flat Heads are know to be fast faders...I'd also be looking into PBJ if I were you.

Im looking for something not too slim currently, as ive got my dior and new standards already. Looking for a something roomier, but not something that will look too big and baggy on a skinny dude as well. Ive been looking at pics of IH 634s and it seems its a better fit for the average dude with normal thighs. Im planning to break em mostly in bikes, so i dont think slim jeans would be too comfortable.

Fades are a bonus, but id rather get something more durable and will last me longer. Dont have any experiences with 21oz shit, so not sure if its gonna be doable for me since im currently living in a country with summer 365 days a year.

Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated.

Like Ben said, the Flat Head 3009 is exactly what you're looking for.  There's room in the top, but a tapered hem.

I think that you should get the tapered fit from momotaro. They offer that fit at blueowl and they have a collab (bom005) that is a very dark, almost black, indigo denim. I think you will like the fit a lot as i too have big thighs and have found bom005 a favorite of mine. 

http://blueowl.us/scripts/psp/VB_Bridge3.dll?VBPROG=\bin\shop.prodt.detail&SKU=7586000

These look awesome, hows the shrinkage in these after the first soak?

The 3sixteen+ 30BSP also caught my eye, which one would have more room in the thigh yet still look slimish.

I'm sick of FH I've gone thru a pair of 3001 F310 and BSP already time for something new 

Hey guys ! I need your help for choosing a pair of jeans ! 

Both look good but i don't really know both brands, so i basically look for the best quality, construction, longevity (dunno if this word is actually english) ! 

So my choice goes from Japan Blue 0206 and Pure blue japan XX005 if anyone is familiar with these brands, as i'm not please let me know !!!

cheers and thanks in advance :)

Im looking for something not too slim currently, as ive got my dior and new standards already. Looking for a something roomier, but not something that will look too big and baggy on a skinny dude as well. Ive been looking at pics of IH 634s and it seems its a better fit for the average dude with normal thighs. Im planning to break em mostly in bikes, so i dont think slim jeans would be too comfortable.

Fades are a bonus, but id rather get something more durable and will last me longer. Dont have any experiences with 21oz shit, so not sure if its gonna be doable for me since im currently living in a country with summer 365 days a year.

Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated.

I am a big advocate of the "measure what you've got" and "modulate fit based on what you currently wear." If your Diors and APCs fit in the waist, don't mess with that dimension. Adding 1/2" - 1" in thigh, rise, knee, and hem can change the fit drastically. Can you post measurements of your other denim? Use these guidelines when measuring.

Regarding 21oz denim, depends. For instance, the sanforized selvedge denim from Iron Heart is very breathable. Great for bike riding. In contrast to the IH 19oz raw denim, which has a very tight weave.

These look awesome, hows the shrinkage in these after the first soak?

The 3sixteen+ 30BSP also caught my eye, which one would have more room in the thigh yet still look slimish.

I'm sick of FH I've gone thru a pair of 3001 F310 and BSP already time for something new 

They are sanforized so they will not shrink too much. I do not know exactly how much they will shrink because i have not soaked my pair yet. If u have any specific questions about sizing or any of their products you should email Jay at blueowl ([email protected]). He replies pretty quick. 

Hey guys ! I need your help for choosing a pair of jeans ! 

Both look good but i don't really know both brands, so i basically look for the best quality, construction, longevity (dunno if this word is actually english) ! 

So my choice goes from Japan Blue 0206 and Pure blue japan XX005 if anyone is familiar with these brands, as i'm not please let me know !!!

cheers and thanks in advance :)

Japan Blue is Momotaro's value-priced brand; they are sanforized and cheaper than their vintage label denim.  PBJ is a top notch vintage brand comparable to Momotaro's vintage label.  The texture on the XX005s looks better than the JB206s by miles.  If you have a choice between JB206 and PBJXX005, get the PBJXX005; this is a no brainer.

Looking to buy a new pair of slim/straight jeans mostly looking at Samurai and Iron Heart...

Currently wearing Evisu no1 for over a year and the cut is too full for me, I'm fairly slim, 5'8 140 lbs 31-31.5W and don't want hip flares like I got with the Evisu, don't want slim/skinny though.

Would the 710 in Samurai or the Beatle Buster in IH be good options?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Anyone can help me? Open to other suggestions too.

/\ not really what I know much about, but as I understand it the 710's are tapered. If you were looking for straight leg, then maybe the S5000 models (various weight etc) might be better.

Personally, speaking of Samurai, I like their 15oz weight Texas cotton models - the S0510XX and S0500XX, Different cuts of course. The S0500XX is slimmer, but also tapered. Might be worth a look though.

For slim straight, you might also look at Pure Blue Japan, I don't have any, but the denim looks great. XX-003, XX-005 etc .. very low rise on the latter though, too low in my opinion.

Probably suggest having a look through what shops like and-japan have got to get an idea, or okayama-denim. Both got good stuff to look at plus measurements.

Have you considered Devil's Cut IH? With your buid the 710 may not be slim enough in the top block. The 666 denim is great and the cut is slim but not skinny.