THIS OR THAT? (Use me for all your Should I Buy...? questions)

tweeds

Hey Guys

Ive been fiending for a new pair of nice, slubby dry denim in either black or indigo, but I've come to a fork (actually like 6) in the middle of the road...and after a lot (and I mean HOURS) of research i've narrowed it down to 2 pairs of BK's and 2 pairs of indigo, and I need the wise tutelage of SF to help me make an informed descision. I am currently rotating Samurai S0500XX and Nudie SSDS, and i have a pair of RRL slim bootcuts also on rotation for when i skate and bmx,

the choices are as follows:

BK's - PBJ-XX005BK or Samurai S5000BK

Indigo - Samurai S0710XX19oz or PBJ XX-005

opinions and advice are much appreciated in advance

I just love the indigo pbjs. More so than the black. That's just me. I liked the cut more than the 5000 when i tried them on at BiG

coiol: 19cm black diors or imperial dukes seem like they'd work.

I'm looking for a pair of raw black denim in a slim cut (tapered or straight) with a 36 inseam after shrinking and that fades well. Does such a thing exist?

Samurai S5000BK, though your version of slim may differ from mine :P

Yeah they are a bit looser than that. I don't think the Skulls would fade especially well anyway.

May want to look at chrono's suggestions, not too sure how those will fade though. Don't think the forum has seen any examples of good wear on black denim that isn't from Samurai.

Do you like the fit of the Goughs or do you just wear them because they were cheap? The NS will definitely fade better than the Goughs, but the cut is completely different. I guess it really depends on the fit you are looking for, and how much money you want to spend. If you do get NS, you can get them for $112 from Denimbar with the Superfuture discount.

I had always planned on getting RRDS, but 260 bux is a bit much, the bootcut ola seems really reasonable for 150, and i hear that the ola is like a ralph with slightly narrower knee and lower rise, and is not flared and gaudy and out of style, w/e.

i respectively vote AGAINST a purchase of the bootcut ola if you're going for a decent aging process. in short, their aging properties are crap. for fit and style, if you like them, sure do get them. it's just the fading that doesn't work (imo/e) on those.

as mentioned get APCs if cash is an issue and dont wash them until they stink. they don't hold their indigo too well.

if you really want nudies maybe slim jim japan or dry straight sven?

Imperials maybe? They are nudie-esque, kinda. don't know what they cost though...

Do you like the fit of the Goughs or do you just wear them because they were cheap? The NS will definitely fade better than the Goughs, but the cut is completely different. I guess it really depends on the fit you are looking for, and how much money you want to spend. If you do get NS, you can get them for $112 from Denimbar with the Superfuture discount.

point me in the direction of the denimbar please

i respectively vote AGAINST a purchase of the bootcut ola if you're going for a decent aging process. in short, their aging properties are crap. for fit and style, if you like them, sure do get them. it's just the fading that doesn't work (imo/e) on those.

as mentioned get APCs if cash is an issue and dont wash them until they stink. they don't hold their indigo too well.

if you really want nudies maybe slim jim japan or dry straight sven?

Imperials maybe? They are nudie-esque, kinda. don't know what they cost though...

Hmmm, yeah. Will Olas eventually get nice honeycombs/ whiskers etc? or is it pretty much impossible to set creases and see results on these?

Do slim jims fit true to size?

APCs seem like they wouldn't fit me all that well, but alrighty.

Do people not even read the responses they get? I posted the link for cheaper RRDS and nudies in general and denimbar. Like 8 posts ago. Seriously, "help me help you"

Hmmm, yeah. Will Olas eventually get nice honeycombs/ whiskers etc? or is it pretty much impossible to set creases and see results on these?

Do slim jims fit true to size?

APCs seem like they wouldn't fit me all that well, but alrighty.

look through the XXX thread for some photos of decently broken-in Olas. i have a pair (heavily modded) and the lap fades are coming along nicely, but it's taken awhile. the denim fades really slowly (but bleeds a lot, somehow -- wtf?) to an almost greyish color. you don't ever get the bright blue crocking like you do on most raw denim jeans. honeycombs are slower to show up, as the denim is quite soft...

all in all, a decent pair of jeans (and a bargain at just over $100), but probably not the best choice for someone testing the raw denim waters and looking for a fun project jean...

Lee 101z Gold Label

or

Lee 101z 1952 repro by Lee Japan

or

Lee 101z 1937 repro by Lee Japan

does anyone know where the Gold Label is made (is it Lee Europe)?

also, anyone know how the vintage repro's fit?

thanks, help would be much appreciated.

I know the 101B Gold Labels available in the UK are made in Poland.

sc okinawa or 1950 duckdiggers? sc can get in uk ducks have to order from usa.

Plenty of differences:

Fit:

the DD's are surprisingly slim and the okinawas (from what I can tell) are the standard anti-fit repro cut... what type of look are you going for?

Color:

I think the okinawas wash out to more bluish-greenish. The DD's are EXTREMELY dark blue (almost black). Notsure about the color of the stitching on the okinawas, but I know that on DD's it's all gold-orange. Not sure if that matters to you.

Fabric: I think the Okinawa's are a blend of cotton and something else (or maybe I'm mixing it up with the Hawaii's). DD's are 100% 15 oz cotton. They're also very slubby (not Pure Blue Japan slubby, but more like Samurai 5000 VX slubby)

I'm trying to figure out which black Imperials would fit me best, Dukes or Kings.

I'm normally a size 34 and i want something that fits like APC NS (size 32 in APC NS fits ideally on me), but i read Dukes are tighter on the thighs than NS, and that might be too narrow for me. So i was thinking about Kings, but i dont want it to fit too loose. would sizing down 1-2 sizes on the Kings work in my situation? or should I go with a 34 Duke and hope they stretch as much as APC's did (do they?)

5' 10"... 165-170 lbs.

suggestions/help are very very much appreciated...

I'm trying to figure out which black Imperials would fit me best, Dukes or Kings.

I'm normally a size 34 and i want something that fits like APC NS (size 32 in APC NS fits ideally on me), but i read Dukes are tighter on the thighs than NS, and that might be too narrow for me. So i was thinking about Kings, but i dont want it to fit too loose. would sizing down 1-2 sizes on the Kings work in my situation? or should I go with a 34 Duke and hope they stretch as much as APC's did (do they?)

5' 10"... 165-170 lbs.

suggestions/help are very very much appreciated...

I'll answer your question with some pictures. I normally wear a 30 and these Kings are a size 30. My thighs are fairly large for my body type, which is 6'0 165lbs.

100_3857.jpg

100_3855.jpg

Ahhh! Emergency! I found a pair of Nudie Slim Jims on eBay. The bidding ends in 2 hours and theyre currently only at 66bux. they are size 28x34, which is less than ideal... i can get them hemmed, but my question is that if i normally wear a size 29, will these nudies be hella tight? i don't want painted-on jeans or worse yet, jeans i cant get into. will these jims stretch out a bit? are they true to size? thanks.

I thought you were all about bootcuts? They'll be fine. Nudies usually measure about an inch larger, so they'll fit perfect.

I thought you were all about bootcuts? They'll be fine. Nudies usually measure about an inch larger, so they'll fit perfect.

I like em, but theyre not all i wear :cool:

Nice. I just might get em.

Quick denim question.

!) When you check if its RHT or LHT, you need to cuff the jeans and check the INSIDE right?

no, if you're looking at the jeans straight on (not wearing them) you'll see lines in the warp thread going up and a) to the right or B) to the left... (make sense?)

2) Do any other brands besides julian red have colored weft?

yes. see b i z z y's j-brand jeans (red w/ black weft) or any overdyed jeans (ironheart's black overdye, any of the april 77 colordrives, etc.).