Japanese Fashion Magazines

herpsky

I usually read smart, cooltrans, and mens non-no.

I picked up a copy of huge and highfashion (apparently the BEST japanese fashion magazine ever) today and

I've been super-impressed by their articles and etc.

A lot of people nowadays say stuff along the lines of "oh, only women read magazines and internet has everything you need to know."

The january issue of huge had a ginormous article about up and coming stores in NY, Paris, and Tokyo. I thought the article was A+++.

Does anyone know of any other good magazines?

I heard that choki-choki is pretty cool (hair salon staff inspired fashion...).

I ususually buy CoolTrans and Boon every month, however I just look at the pictures, because I don't speak a work of Japanese.

EDIT: Oh and the freebies are pretty nice too. I've actually used the Neighborhood playing cards that came with the January issue of Boon already.

is there anywhere online where you can get these magasines?

http://www.fujisan.com/online/Superstore/index.html~s212-01005968196-4j~

is probably your best bet, although there's quite a few more, there has been a few threads about this so just look it up

i also quite like Samurai and will also read Men Non-no, Huge, Cool Trans and Boon when i have the chance

never read highfashion, might try to get a copy

I don't like the japanese publications, I'm probably the only one on this one. I find them pretty boring to be honest, nothing that can't be found elsewhere and faster.

From what I've seen they're mostly "style bibles" telling consumers exactly what to buy and what to pair it with, and most readers seem to interpret it in a very strict way ("that exact tee with those exact pants and that hat tilted 45 degrees) which makes the whole idea rather sad and lifeless. Now that being said, like everywhere else, you can probably find some gems and sometimes a "style bible" is all you're looking for to spot some new cool trends.

I buy men's non-no and smart, but I think I'll have to try some of the other magazines referenced in this thread. As for it being a "style bible": I just take it as a catalog of different brands, it's good for finding new stuff and possibly even new looks that I might want to consider—with that said, I would never copy a look I saw. It's like a design magazine or design showcase book—good inspiration.

This has been discussed before: http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?t=13790

Anyways recap:

Japanese domestic labels & European - Men's Non-no

Dark gothic/rocker - Sense Magazine

Street Wear - Samurai & Samurai Elo

Gyaru/Centa-gai/highly stylized fashion - Men's Egg

Samurai Elo is a favorite recently because of the sex-tips section in the back. Only in Japan can a teen mag get away with sex education/tips spreads of naked couples!:cool:

elo_0702.jpg

I love the title of this issue. Trendy outerwear - Final Battle! Leather vs. Courdory! Black vs. Gray!

the smart mag with liam on the cover is a good buy!

tons of picture of items from winter clothes to jewelry

i had several smart mag which are bunch of crap but this issue is one great

i got the HUGE mag aswell like herpsky mentioned very good

im buying popeye just for the hairstyle article the previous issue was good thou

I live in Japan, and I love the american vintage clothing for workers, so magazine Free&Easy is the best.

There are many vintage clothing photographs on the Free&Easy.

And also, many photographs of actors, like Steve McQueen, Robert Redford.

Their old photographs are very cool even today.

• 1 month later...
I live in Japan, and I love the american vintage clothing for workers, so magazine Free&Easy is the best.

There are many vintage clothing photographs on the Free&Easy.

And also, many photographs of actors, like Steve McQueen, Robert Redford.

Their old photographs are very cool even today.

this man is absolutely correct. i just started getting into these free & easy magazines and they are out of this world. just bought the march issue 2007 "hey, mr. boots man!" and the issue is filled with crazy number of vintage and new boots. anybody who is even remotely interested in miz's shoes that get better with age thread must buy this.

:cool::cool::cool: :cool: :cool:

• 3 years later...