what are you watching today?

red

A film festival is being held in my home town for a following week, so three horror movies throughout this night:

http://youtu.be/7hliYz_JSPE

http://youtu.be/apZ_F8aDFmc

All until 5 AM, wonder if I would make it through the first though

Edited by imnot

^ do it! Definitely worth your time. 

Gallipoli is certainly front and center in the Australian film cannon. Most people watch it at school, and its stalwart of Australian film classes at uni, I did my major assignment in an undergrad aus film class on Weir. Even though its so overtly nationalistic its on of those events that for whatever really defines the "aussie" spirit, so its pretty much generally held that if you're Australian you like it.

Personally I think its fantastic, and it was one of those films that really grew on me. Weir is a genius if haven't seen Picnic at Hanging Rock, The Cars That Paris and The Last Wave I highly recommend all of them. His ability to create a really dreamy kinda out of this world vibe in his earlier works is fantastic. Not such a fan of his more recent ventures. 

Plus with Jarre doing your soundtrack you cant lose!

Seeing Gallipoli really put a new spin on Master and Commander. So odd for him to make a pretty straightforward British Military film considering his portrayal of the British in the film, even if he's obviously become a creature of Hollywood in his old age and less of an "Australian" director. Really want to see Picnic at Hanging Rock btw, it sounds fascinating.

On styleforum sporadically; I find that place a bit stuffy. This thread probably is my most favorite there, but I am partial to the what are you reading and what what are you listening to threads.

Qos57mN.jpg

Just saw this on tv the other day. First Von Trier film, and I'm into it. So many beautiful scenes. Where should I go next? The wikipedia entry for Antichrist is more than a little off-putting. Dogville?????

Also apparently he's already made a new movie called "Nymphomaniac" and it's starring Shia Labeouf????? I like Shia but whaaaaaaaa

Picnic at Hanging Rock is well worth your time Yacht. 

I am a bit of a Trier fan, so bear with me here. 

a// The Kingdom (+ Kingdom II) - fantastic mini-series from the 90's, funny, bizarre and dark! kinda similar to Twin Peaks

b// The Idiots - pretty strange and part of whole dogme 95 movement but interesting

c// Dancer in the Dark - great film! high recommend 

d// Dogville - another classic! well worth your time

e// The Five Obstructions - genius!! a cinematic dialogue with his mentor jorgen leth as he challenges him to remake one of his first films under a series of different conditions

e// The Boss of it all - this one was ok, definitely not his best. but amusing in triers weird way!

f// Antichrist - hard to watch at times, and very styleized but pretty incredible!

g// Nymphomaniac - this looks great! I like the direction trier has been heading (thoroughly enjoyed melancholia as well) 

a couple of clips have surfaced recently (more on the youtube account)

Edited by jackg

I need your help sufu movie heads. I have become very jaded regarding artsy movies lately, nothing is gripping me anymore. Please recommend me something a bit weird/obscure but also very compelling. Extra points for intelligent horror movies.

Edited by okonomi

I need your help sufu movie heads. I have become very jaded regarding artsy movies lately, nothing is gripping me anymore. Please recommend me something a bit weird/obscure but also very compelling. Extra points for intelligent horror movies.

watch shit by maybe xavier gens or the butcher bros

u welcome. rep immediately

seriously? those are turds netflilx uses to pad out their million movie streaming library. 

i don't know what output by these particular directors is on netflix, but regardless

what don't you like about them?

i mean yeah gens did hitman, and that is a "turd" like, but most of his and the butcher bro's films were imo pretty good not to mention a decent recommendation for okonomi.

i couldnt finish hitman, that one gens did about the end of the world with rossana arquette getting turned out and dude from heroes all tough, that had so much promise for the first 15 minutes or so. then it just became grueling and boring and i turned it off. the abcs thing too, not my cup of tea. i saw the trailer for the pulp fiction time traveler joint by the butcher bros and that shit just looked like a movie on the 100th page of netflix.

i guess its personal what one considers a decent rec. personally i dont find gens at all compelling and not really that weird. obscure, maybe based on poor distribution and dudes a foreigner. butcher bros to me look like freebies on hulu. i mean based off that trailer.

maybe begotten? that movie borders on unwatchable, but its a fairly known flick. 

for brothers, i like the quays. also along that vein, i remember liking the secret life of tom thumb