what are you watching today?

red

watched two recent films by steven soderbergh, contagion and side effects

side effects was great

not sure what to think of contagion, pacing felt a bit off, great soundtrack though

both had really strong acting

Just picked up Side Effects on bluray the other day, I've seen a few people speaking quite highly of it, which is always excellent, some of Soderbergh's films can be really swing and miss, or overly smug and self aware (the later Ocean's films are a huge example of that)

A scanner darkly - 2nd viewing. Not as enjoyable as the first time even though I pretty much forgot everything.

Rain man, cos Kim Peek's gifts were mentioned briefly in a book I'm reading. Valeria Golino looked good.

Monga, for the second time. Costume design and styling were pretty cool for the three main chars.

Edited by Quiver

read a one-sentence synopsis of her in the local alternative rag and decided it was dumb. saw the billing and saw it was nominated for a fuck ton of awards and thought "it might be cool." watched and and have returned to square one and am currently astonished by how far the movie critically coasts on techno-novelty and brittle platitudes. and novelty is being generous. i know of at least one movie with a similar premise and could probably pile up others with 5 minutes of google. after hearing a couple choice lines ("the past is a story we tell ourselves") i looked up how old jonze was to see how long it took him to arrive at this particular stratum of self-delusion. 44 years. and the critics and enthusiastic audience this movie has, they are honestly wowed and moved by this 2-hour long film adaptation of the wrappers from bite-size chocolate dove bars? the technological questions raised by the movie aren't new, profound, nor deep. the writing glides on a pretense of human universality but is vanilla inside and out (read: white)

i am though i guess impressed with jonze, phoenix, and johannson for raising above the typical chaff what would have otherwise been an enormous flop. jonze stitches together an image of near future with probably limited resources, and phoenix does heavy lifting being in a close-up for nearly the entire film's running. i am going to stop here because there are far too many other great movies worth more of everyone's time and thought.

read a one-sentence synopsis of her in the local alternative rag and decided it was dumb. saw the billing and saw it was nominated for a fuck ton of awards and thought "it might be cool." watched and and have returned to square one and am currently astonished by how far the movie critically coasts on techno-novelty and brittle platitudes. and novelty is being generous. i know of at least one movie with a similar premise and could probably pile up others with 5 minutes of google. after hearing a couple choice lines ("the past is a story we tell ourselves") i looked up how old jonze was to see how long it took him to arrive at this particular stratum of self-delusion. 44 years. and the critics and enthusiastic audience this movie has, they are honestly wowed and moved by this 2-hour long film adaptation of the wrappers from bite-size chocolate dove bars? the technological questions raised by the movie aren't new, profound, nor deep. the writing glides on a pretense of human universality but is vanilla inside and out (read: white)

i am though i guess impressed with jonze, phoenix, and johannson for raising above the typical chaff what would have otherwise been an enormous flop. jonze stitches together an image of near future with probably limited resources, and phoenix does heavy lifting being in a close-up for nearly the entire film's running. i am going to stop here because there are far too many other great movies worth more of everyone's time and thought.

Honestly I don't know what you're getting at that isn't overbearingly obvious to the general audience which comprises superfuture. The way the movie was marketed and image sculpted would have suggested nothing less than the response it is receiving. Many films these days tend to get this sort of blown out treatment simply because they are a little bit deviated ("quirky, hip, etc.") from the types of films being exposed at the time and this is no exception. With that being said her isn't necessarily that hard hitting of a social commentary as the enormous flood of reviewers and testimonies will praise, but it does at least grant the viewer the opportunity to become submersed in the ambiance of the world that Jonze is trying to create. 

i've been making youtube videos this past month on my supreme collection and recent news i find interesting! let me know what you think :D

my latest News Video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXOzAcnKyPE

Supreme Collection video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWD-yjrknqQ&list=TLF8Hz2UWVUYbN8XfhysBQMk18NTzTHzfo