what are you watching today?

red

when i first saw seeldog's post i was going to ask him what he thought of it... i watched it about two years ago and really didn't like it. ill have to see it again but, i don't really want to either.

I have mixed feelings about Synecdoche, NY. On one hand I liked it: I enjoyed watching the truth's first (the film), second (the play), and the third (the play of the play) derivatives interact to give you something true, time's nonlinearity, and Philip Seymour Hoffman's performance. But on the other hand I did not: I thought the message became muddled in the middle, making the movie hard to follow,* and all the allusions to other books/movies/plays confused the message and made it seem as if the writer/director did not have anything unique to say, at times. I think I'll rewatch it sometime in the near future though, just to see what happens.

Maybe this was on purpose though. Hoffman's character said, "I want to make something true about all of it [life]." The message at the beginning and end was clear and concise, but muddled in the middle. This parallels the evolution of our understanding of the world; cleanness that is associated with young age, the confusion that stems from the realization that life is far more complex than you realized in the middle, and the wisdom that comes with old age. But I am very likely over thinking this entirely.

5wPUjXv.jpg

30FbH8I.jpg

Every time I rewatch pick up something new. Welles is pure genius making it all the more tragic because he could've made so many more films if Hollywood would've given him a buck to make a movie or on the off chance they did, allow him full artistic control.

Edited by seeldog47

5M0x2L7.jpg

t0gW7SV.jpg

I've been systematically working my way through these two shows.

Thats cool, man. I would really like to start watching more of these once I finally finish The Sopranos.

My Great-Uncle starred in an episode of "Hitchcock Presents" in which his character tries to murder his wife as cheaply as possible so she doesn't spend any of the money he saves by being so cheap. Haven't seen many other episodes though.

Anyway, watching this tonight.

abvzpFrl.jpg