what are you watching today?

red

^ wish it was available in Canada, you can watch all criterion movies on Hulu.

what Kurosawa films would you guys recommend? I've only seen Ikiru + Rashomon! I know.. Seven Samurai? ... what else?

OU5IWY5.jpg

saw this, thought it was only ok.

I'd say you've got to see Yojimbo, and maybe Ran. And after that maybe Stray Dog for a non jidai-geki.

I also finally saw The Room the other day. I think I'll have to catch a screening at some point

seeing "The Room" at the cinema is an almost unbeatable experience. ensure you have plenty of plastic spoons.

I saw The Room at the Plaza Theatre in Atlanta several years back and Tommy Wiseau did a 30-45 minute Q&A prior to the screening.

It was incredible. Like Jack said, an unbeatable experience. So. Many. Spoons.

56EFF6B1-917D-4C79-A698-C9F53AB8DAF7-662-000000F21A5454C7_zpsf6b30a27.jpg

AXzoYrD.jpg

Starting my Kubrick education. Taking a film class this quarter so I finally have someone to bounce ideas off. He's involved in SIFF (Seattle International Film Festival) as well so I will see if I can score tickets! I know its been said before but this movie is astounding.

JkR73o1.jpg

I thoroughly enjoyed The Place Beyond the Pines. Derek Cianfrance's work so far has connected with me partially because the music used in his movies seems to fit his shots perfectly. "You always hurt the one you love" was way too on the nose for my tastes in Blue Valentine but its melody was still somehow perfect for that scene. I think this film benefits from a more traditional score, and I found its finale song to fit perfectly. I won't spoil it for anyone who wants to go see it, but I think most reviews have given it an appropriate score. It loses focus on what made it so interesting at some points, but as a story of fathers and sons and the undeniable connection that exists there Derek Cianfrance captures special moments that are tragically poignant.

Really enjoyed it. Certain shots of the father and son scenes gave me chills. Also loved how they showed the consequences of each decision the main characters made in the past would come back and haunt them. It was a nice surprise because the trailers might have lead audiences to believe this movie would only dabble in that subject and be more action oriented or like a sequel to "Drive," but it wasn't.