what are you watching today?

red

not sure about encoding i use dvdshrink a fair bit though, it can turn dvd's into iso that can be re-burned onto dvd's or as a movie film so you can watch it on your pc. its super straight forward and easy to use.

pretty jealous sam! did you get a chance to see Tyrannosaur by any chance??

rip and decrypt dvd > dgdecode > compress video > rip the subs > mkvmerge

it's the longer way, but you get better quality rips.

Sounds good. Might give it a crack, never messed with x264, but XviD was always better when you ripped/demuxed streams, encoded them separately, and then remuxed them. None of the stand alone packages were ever as good as using a different program to do each task. I'll give dgdecode a crack over the weekend.

Going to see some foreign horror later tonight.

isoleradbild.jpg

I'm away in Beijing right now so there goes my movie watching for the week. The plane ride over didn't have too good of a selection save this gem. It's funny, after all the Apatow movies this feels like a breath of fresh air. Gotta love Jonathan Richman as well.

There's Something About Mary, 1998:

256658.1020.A.jpg

How had I not seen this till now? This movie is really great, especially the way that Aronofsky constructs an objective realism but still allows for moments of intense subjectivity (such as when the crowd chanting can be heard as Rourke walks through the grocery store). There's also a great use of color here. I don't know why it took me so long to get around to this. THAT ENDING.

The Wrestler, 2008:

wrestler-poster.jpg