a little news..

these are actually 100% cotton.

the info at BIG is wrong.

:)

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, but that means you have to order off of Rakuten.

I have done so several times without a problem. Four clicks and at my door in 3-4 days.

I do think that supporting places like BiG and Selfedge is great, as I have bought jeans from Gordon at BiG myself. However I have trouble understanding why a pair of SC Star jeans that I can order form a store in Japan and have delivered to my door for $150, need cost $265 at a store in the US. Other brands don't have that kind of mark up. On Rakuten SC 1947's cost $113 before tax ( 5%) Shipping ($15-20) and conversion (2%). Where does the $270 price tag come from?

Yes, there is duty, shipping ( probably less per pair than shipping a single pair by EMS), rent, insurance, salaries to pay, health insurance, middlemen, etc. Don;t the Japanese employer have similar costs? Should that need to raise the price 100% before tax?

Where is that 100% mark up going?

All that aside, I think the star is a liilte dopey....jm2c

Guest jeffvyain

i see your point. i would hardly be an expert on the subject, but i wouldn't doubt that kiya and the people at BIG are having a pretty hard time just being in the black, even with price tags like those. i would think you gotta really sell a LOT of jeans to stay in business in locations like they have, and these are jeans that a rational person (i realize most of the people here aren't very rational) would only buy a new pair of once or twice a year.

edit: forgot to mention that upon a second look, these jeans have grown on me quite a bit. i think the star is quite a shock the first time around, but it doesn't bother me anymore. the rest of the jeans are amazing though...love the america shaped deer skin tag and the fact that it's 100% cotton. how many sugarcane jeans can you say that about? the fit also looks quite nice. i wish my legs weren't too long for SC. i wouldn't buy them, as i love so many other pairs, but it'd be nice having that option for consideration

I also wondered this Pauken when I recently bought a Canada Goose parka from Colette in Paris for 500euro only to realise that US reltailers were charging less than that in dollars.

Here's what Canada Goose have to say, copied and pasted from the FAQ section of their site

Why is there a discrepancy between your North American and European pricing?

As all of our products are made in Canada there is considerable expense involved in shipping them to Europe and Asia. As well as freight costs, many countries also levy tariffs and taxes on many products upon import into the country. These additional costs all contribute to an increase in the retail price.

I'm betting that most of the upcharge does in fact go to History Preservation. This sucks for Kiya and Gordon to have their prices set so high that they are potentially losing customers to merchants on the other side of the planet.

Hey Synthi: I was thinking about you just yesterday!

Oh yeah? Why, thinking about SDA D-1177's? Cos I've resigned myself to the truth which is my W29 pair DON'T fit me :( This is my 3rd pair in this model, just not meant to be. I'd need a size 26 for these to fit properly. So if you want them you know who to get in touch with :D

Just talked to Toyo in Japan..

they are close to a 1947 but a TAD bit slimmer, barely..

i love the buttons and pocket design..

I love these jeans! I'm not a huge fan of the star, although it will look awsome after some heavy wear on the threads (my first thought was to snip it). I love the hardware and history. These are my favorite jeans from the xmas season.

Props to Sugarcare esp for 15k Yen!

http://www.sugarcane.jp/products/standard-0011.html

As have been said, the reason for the high mark up on the Sugarcanes is the distributor. It's the same thing in Sweden and the UK.

I think it won't be long before some brands like Ironheart and Samurai get their own agent, so if you want a pair, you shouldn't wait too long to buy them. Also, it's possible that in a year or so you won't be able to order some brands straight from rakuten anymore.

• 3 weeks later...

Guess that shows how the Japanese felt about Americans being in Japan at the time.

Yuck.

Not exactly sure what you mean by this, but i'm interested in your thought. Are you implying that Toyo designed ugly jeans for the Americans in Japan? Or something far more sinister? (!!!)

I have mixed feelings about the star...I love the top button though. At least it isn't a full-on Levi's dick-ride/repro (arcuate and all).

Two questions come to mind after having read through this and a few other Sugar Cane related threads:

-Are all SC's high-rise? If not, which styles have a lower rise?

-Is it easy to order from Rakuten? I mean not speaking/reading Japanese and all.

I'll have to call Kiya up and run down to BIG as well.