superdupersang

headphones to get  

162 members have voted

1. 1. headphones to get

• shure e2c
    • entymotic er6
    • Ultimate Ears Super.fi 3
    • other (please specify)

I've had countless headphones, and always wear them out, or they break, so I'm reluctant to buy expensive ones; my current are sony mdr-v300, which are cheap and quite nice except for the really long cable (they're kind of like monitors) and I should have bought grados but I didn't know about them at the time. I use them for my iPod and watching movies and making some music.

• 4 weeks later...
mine are Bose Triports. Excellent quality. think you can get them for $100

I have the Bose In-Ear (99$), they're fine haven't blown out at full volume, great sound quality (i guess, i bought quality 'cause the cheap headphones i've had before kept blowing out from the bass and i'm already familiar with bose--and i want something small and discrete versus huge headphones). They're fairly comfortable but i keep losing the squishy that goes into the ear (yeah, my extensive vocab astounds even me, hehe)... and the base is falling apart...dunno how to explain it. They claim it's designed specifically for on-the-go portable music players, but the fact that they're falling apart after 2 months...eh--then they need me to test their shit out (or design durable buds that won't fall apart so easily from daily use). haha...

I'm just a bit disappointed, but I trust Bose will replace them because they have great service.

Edit: this is my 100th post. :/

Beyerdynamic DT770 for full size headphones. I think they come in 36ohm now, which makes them easy to power.

For absolute portablility, Etymotic er6i. If you really want good IEM, get the Westone UM2.

Bose makes Audiophiles barf.

Definitely UM1. I'm loving mine. I second (third, fourth, n-th) the Head-Fi recommendation. Be careful, and I'm sorry about your wallet. I spend WAYY more than I intended to there (tube amp, dedicated DAC, AKG K501...), and now I'm COMPLETELY done. Time to save up for DH denim.. =)

I own 8 pairs of heaphones because of Head-fi.

Why? I don't know...the only ones I use now are my Grado SR60 and shure e4 portapros.

That place is evil...but then again I bought 5 pairs of jeans since I've been here.

I think I may have just traded a crack addiction for a heroin addiction.

I personally have a pair of E2C's and I love them. Noise canceling wise they work great I use them everyday and there only a few instances where they don't completely block out outside noise. Since I do commute to school everyday I take the bus and subway and it's the online where I can hear noise from my surrounding. ( Sound from the bus engine and well the subway is very loud in general) But with the the E2C it does reduce the sound significantly. Sound quality is an other thing I use them with my iPod and I find they don't produce very well when it comes bass and tremble. It is going to take you a while to figure out which earbuds you should use but once you figure it out and your confortable with the feel of them you'll love em. Like I said at the begging if noise canceling is one of the most important factors you can't go wrong with the E2C's I can stand next to a busy boulevard with dozen's of cars passing me by and I won't even hear them coming all I hear is my music.

Your bass/treble issue isn't with the E2Cs but rather w/ the Ipod. The Ipod's native sound is horrible when you hook them up to quality headphones - they only sound good (to me) through cheap shit headphones.

It's the one reason I won't replace my 5-year old Iriver with an Ipod since the iriver (with Rockbox) sounds 100x better.

ok, so i just bought a pair of shure e2c's.

the reason i went for these instead of the er6 is because i can buy the sleeves locally at a couple locations in new york. for the er6 i would need to order them online and i hate waiting.

so far, so good. the sound is definitely different, but i'm hearing a lot of stuff i missed before. for instance, i'm really hearing jimi hendrix's ambient amp buzz now. also i can hear a lot of the little nuances in his playing. i am also listening at a much lower volume than before, but hearing more than before.

superdupersang,

what made you pick the shure e2c over the etymotic er6?

btw, here's a comparison of both:

http://www.andpop.com/article/2853

to be honest, a lot of reviews had them on virtually equal footing.

having never tried the etymotics, im probably not the best person to ask for a comparison, but i would agree with your review, in that the sound quality is great, but they do take getting used to and are not amazingly comfortable, ie i cant see myself with them in my ears for a 12 hour flight.

but the trade off is the reduction of outside noise which i love.

finally, the shure's just look better imo.

ok long review....

yeah, what really sealed the deal for me is that i can buy replacement earbud sleeves locally. i also checked a ton of reviews and they seem pretty much equal.

ok, now that i've used them for a couple days now, i can compare with my koss portapros.

the portapros have a much heavier bass, also much less high end. they give an "oomph" to bass heavy music, but can be somewhat muddy. i think they are very good for hip hop and some types of r&b--any music that could use heavy low end, even with some distortion.

the e2c's have less bass, but the bass is much clearer. for instance, on jimi hendrix's "born under a bad sign" the intro bass sounds somewhat distorted on the portapros, but you can hear the fret buzz and the tone better on the e2c's.

the high end is much clearer on the e2c's than the portapros. listening to "born under a bad sign" i hear jimi's amp buzz clearly, also every little nuance in his playing--fret rattle, finger noise, etc. this is stuff i didn't notice when i was listening to it through the portapros. for some songs, it's like listening to a completely different mix.

i still like my portapros--they give the low end a really nice boost, but they also color and muddle the sound a bit. plus, they are much more comfortable than earbuds.

i also compared using fantasia's "free yourself" which has a very tight modern pop mix. the e2c's wins hands down over the portapros. i hear everything the mixing engineer put on the song--noise filters, reverb, delay, etc... a lot of this gets lost with the portapros. also fantasia's voice comes through clearer, i can hear small nuances in her voice better.

so, i am pretty pleased with the e2c's. the noise isolation is good, but not complete (for instance, you will definitely hear an oncoming train)--which is preferable for me. for modern music, the e2c's are much better. these days, the mixes are so intricate you need more accuracy in your headphones to get the full picture.

• 8 months later...

I have the super.fi 5. I think it's definitely worth the price over super.fi 3s and it's a lot cheaper now than it used to be. I preferred super.fi 5 over it's shure and etymotics counterparts because of the nice balanced bass sound vs. higher fidelity of music. I dunno if Grado SR 60s have been mentioned yet, but I have them too and I always used them if I'm alone or if the noise level doesn't matter or if it's cold outside and I need ear muffs. And I remember there was a Sony in ear can that got decent reviews from headfi especially for its price. I forget what the model number was. I think maybe Sony M70 or something like that. Anyways good luck hunting. It might take awhile.

For those of you that have the E2C's: do any of you use them for working out, specifically, running? I need a pair of earbuds that stay put when coupled with sweat and heavy running..........

i have them but i don't use them for running. i use the sennheiser mx 75 sport headphones for running. they are the best i've found. i can't say enough good things about them. you don't notice you're wearing them. they never fall out. the sound is decent. they're fairly cheap. and they're totally sweat proof.

i have them but i don't use them for running. i use the sennheiser mx 75 sport headphones for running. they are the best i've found. i can't say enough good things about them. you don't notice you're wearing them. they never fall out. the sound is decent. they're fairly cheap. and they're totally sweat proof.

Hmm, interesting. The reason I am looking at getting new headphones is because of my disappointment with my Sennheiser's (mind you, I had the OMX70's). The conduit on the cord began to split in 5 or 6 places and they never stayed in my ears correctly; I imagine this is because the hook didn't mesh with my ear shape and actually forced the buds outwards. The buds you suggested look like they may have been a better choice than the hooked ones. Sound isn't terrible though.

• 8 months later...