1. 1. headphones to get

• shure e2c
    • entymotic er6
    • Ultimate Ears Super.fi 3
    • other (please specify)

have had aiaiai tma-1's for awhile now, would recommend

how portable are those? i got Grado SR80's that aren't portable at all

• 3 months later...

I have the TMA-1's and some B&O H6, love the both of them for their different sound characteristics but for comfort the H6 wins hands down.

Both very portable if youare wearing them, other than that I use Sony MDR-D66 ( eggo ! ) for portability - also sounds fantastic, but tend to creak a little if you move much, due to their foldability I guess - rare as hen's teeth now, I picked mine up around '94 !!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What's your take on bluetooth earbuds? Reading around, it seems that there's still a gap in sound quality vs. wired earphones, but I am wondering how much of a gap are we talking about. I keep knocking my phone out while working out so I really want to get a pair, but unsure whether I should get a decent pair (the Jaybird Bluebuds S seems to be the best option) and use as my main earbuds or if it's still too early to get proper quality and should get something really cheap just for working out and sticking with my wired earbuds for other listening. 

What's your take on bluetooth earbuds? Reading around, it seems that there's still a gap in sound quality vs. wired earphones, but I am wondering how much of a gap are we talking about. I keep knocking my phone out while working out so I really want to get a pair, but unsure whether I should get a decent pair (the Jaybird Bluebuds S seems to be the best option) and use as my main earbuds or if it's still too early to get proper quality and should get something really cheap just for working out and sticking with my wired earbuds for other listening.

Im afraid i cant offer any help on this aesthetic, sorry.

• 1 month later...

I just bought se215 by shure Bc my Sony broke at the airport. It was like 100 bucks. Are there any other in ear monitors / earphones that can outperform at a similar price point. Around 100 usd.

I have the Shures but no longer use them. They were terribly uncomfortable imo and were constantly falling out. tThe sound is great, but the trouble wasn't worth it for me. I replaced them with Klipsch S4i's which I love and have decent sound as well. I only use in-ears while biking to-from work, so these fit the bill better for me. Also, the flat cable is more durable and gets tangled less often. If comfort's what you're looking for, go for the Klipsch. Otherwise you might want to stick with the Shures.

it def. sounds good for "club" music. i came from balanced armature earphones by sony so the vocals i.e. mids? are kinda lacking.

does an iphone 6 have enough juice to drive these? people say i have to play these for 50+ hours for the burn-in but that sounds pretty stupid.

• 1 month later...

Modular concept looks cool, although the only thing I ever changed on my TMA-1's was going from a coiled 3.5mm cable to a straight one, and that fucker is like 4 feet long or something ridiculous

New components are apparently compatible with the TMA-1 too, that's pretty dope

Edited by jayrock

• 1 year later...

Thread (and sufu) seems pretty dead but maybe people are still around. In the early stages of buying new headphones and wanted to see what people recommend around $200 or less. Listen mainly to jazz and hip hop, plugging into macbook and iPhone, and listen in the library and at work so am worried about leakage a lot. Over ear. 

Thinking about copping the new Onkyo DP-X1.. but price is kinda steep for a portable music player.

Then again, it's the most advanced portable system ever made and would be great for both headphone and car use.

Thoughts?

Here's over 500 pages (pages, not posts!) of conversation about this single device: 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/780642/onkyo-dp-x1-dual-sabre-dacs-balanced-sabre-btl-amp-mqa-dsd-256-android-5

Onkyo's page:

http://www.onkyousa.com/Products/model.php?m=DP-X1&class=Accessory&source=prodClass

Thinking about copping the new Onkyo DP-X1.. but price is kinda steep for a portable music player.

Then again, it's the most advanced portable system ever made and would be great for both headphone and car use.

Thoughts?

Here's over 500 pages (pages, not posts!) of conversation about this single device: 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/780642/onkyo-dp-x1-dual-sabre-dacs-balanced-sabre-btl-amp-mqa-dsd-256-android-5

Onkyo's page:

http://www.onkyousa.com/Products/model.php?m=DP-X1&class=Accessory&source=prodClass

DP-X1 is a hot device, but at that price point would probably lean towards coupling a Chord Mojo with 128GB iPhone (+ ONKYO HF Player app) since I'm carrying it anyways. 

DP-X1 is a hot device, but at that price point would probably lean towards coupling a Chord Mojo with 128GB iPhone (+ ONKYO HF Player app) since I'm carrying it anyways. 

you could import directly from japan for ~$500/$600

you could import directly from japan for ~$500/$600

The lowest price i'm finding is $600 from here:

http://www.pricejapan.com/front/e_good_info.php?code=1615&category=17

Have you found anything cheaper?