superdupersang

headphones to get  

162 members have voted

1. 1. headphones to get

• shure e2c
    • entymotic er6
    • Ultimate Ears Super.fi 3
    • other (please specify)

Picked up the CX 270's for ~$60 and they're pretty great. They're better then any of the over ears that Sens sell (look wise of course, I doubt that's the case quality wise). If you're looking for a pair of headphones to take with you outdoors I'd suggest picking up the CX 270's.

CX_270_detail.jpg

stop me when this sounds like a bad idea:

buying a pair of cans on the basis of their looks and then asking people for their opinion after purchase

Hey, I would never purchase something like headphones based purely off their looks. All I was saying, was that since the original TMA-1's came out, they were for me, the most aesthetically pleasing headphones available. And do you think I would have purchased expensive headphones without reading the hundred's of reviews off head-fi.org, or the hundreds that showed up off a simple google search, or watch every single youtube video. I only asked superfuture after my purchase as I was curious whether one person might have an opinion, which no one did.

Edited by joeyod007

Debating between ad700's and akg k701; Had a pair of well-loved grado sr60i's for some time that I gave to a friend a couple of months back, so considering going for something akin to it or better...might pick up an amp like fiio aswell, still need to do research though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Running a ATH-M50//HiFiMan RE-262 setup right now, looking to grab another pair of over-ears this Christmas. Any recommendations? Looking around that same $100-$200 price range. Can go higher if they're really exceptional.

Running a ATH-M50//HiFiMan RE-262 setup right now, looking to grab another pair of over-ears this Christmas. Any recommendations? Looking around that same $100-$200 price range. Can go higher if they're really exceptional.

I got a pair of the Ultrasone PRO900 headphones earlier this year, i will never buy another brand after these.  That model is out of your price range, but i would get the PRO550.  You won't be disappointed. 

http://www.ultrasone-headphones.com/en/

I got a pair of the Ultrasone PRO900 headphones earlier this year, i will never buy another brand after these.  That model is out of your price range, but i would get the PRO550.  You won't be disappointed. 

http://www.ultrasone-headphones.com/en/

How's the build quality, and comfort on the 900s? I also read that they can be kinda lacking without an amp. Might step up and buy a pair in that range if I can be convinced on the quality.

How's the build quality, and comfort on the 900s? I also read that they can be kinda lacking without an amp. Might step up and buy a pair in that range if I can be convinced on the quality.

The comfort is insane and the build is great. I use mine through an Electric Avenue portable amp when i'm out, which is the best deal in the world when it comes to portable headphone amps.

Huh. I'll probably go with those then, found 'em on eBay for $330 new. Been looking for a pair that's a little bit unorthodox anyways, my M50s are getting boring. Thanks for the recommendation.

You know what's weird is that they're supposed to retail for $549 everywhere except Amazon sells them for $399 which is an insane deal: http://www.amazon.com/Ultrasone-PRO-900-Professional-Headphones/dp/B001F00F0E

-around ear:

akg k501.  already deemed a true classic by headfi peeps.  i got mine refurbished for around $100.  been discontinued for a while but NOS and refurbished easy to find for similar to what i paid.  good chance they end up being worth a bit later on

-on ear:

audio technica ath-esw9.  cherry colored african paduk wood or something casings.  stunning example of audio technica "signature sound".  no other headphones do female vocals better.  nice outdoor soundstage.  one of the most confortable and stylish headphones as well.  an absolute bargain for $200 on amazon.  if you ballin cop ath-esw11 or ath-esw10 (urushi laquer!) but 9 is more than good enough with its 42mm drivers.

-clip-ons (underrated option):

audio technica ath-ew9.  hands down best clip on headphones ever with the yui g1a a close second.  hokkaido cherrywood casings.  be sure to swap sonic foam for open seal.  will totally remove upper midrange resonance issues some folks complain about.  amazing sound separation, clear bass, especially vibrant and clear uppermids.  besides soundstage, these cans can go pound for pound with some of the top on-ear phones if they fit on your ear well.  fit on these is very important for sq.

obviously i love red wooden headphones and the audio technica "signature sound"

note these headphones are *not* noise cancelling

Edited by ilovefriedchicken

I don't know how hack I am and I don't really care.  I run a pair of older Denons through a SA-155 for computer use and I jack them right into my LD players.  They're good.  They are from the time Denon was beating the piss out of Panasonic with player clones.

• 3 months later...

Not sure what kind of options you have in Sweden, but if you can wait a little bit, I'd just keep watching Massdrop and Slickdeals. I picked up all 3 of my current head phones from SD. Current in ear pair I use are Klipsch X10 that I picked up for $80. Massdrop is more consistent with having deals on a wide range of headphones, but they tend to be on or over ear phones. Slickdeals won't have as many, but when they do, they can be really, really good deals.

what do you guys recommend for DJing? Looking for nice in-ears and closed cans in the $100-$200 range.

I like the Technics RP DH1200s a lot for mixing. Like a slightly better quality Sony MDR V700 with a replaceable cord, but unfortunately they're still plastic and they eventually break on the swivels after a lot of heavy use.

ffce20c5_RP-DH1200.jpeg0

The newer versions come with two cords which one comes with a volume/pause/play + microphone if you want to use them with an iphone (which while nice, but I've kind of outgrown wearing giant headphones around town). They will work/control on a macbook though.

Edited by exhaust fumes

• 1 month later...

Picked up a pair of the reissued Vsonic GR07 Bass Editions. $125 shipped from Singapore, only took a week to get to me from Lendmeurears. 

I've owned $300+ IEMS in the past and these things are just hard to beat in terms of audio quality/comfort/price ratio. Still burning them in but they already sound great. 

^^ I owned a pair of Vsonic gr07s (the mkII edition though) and they still have one of my favorite sound signatures of anything I've had in the past. Great comfortable design too.

was heartbroken when the plastic casing split in half around where it's glued together--be careful when handling them outdoors etc

i'm surprised nobody has mentioned these yet:

81IpErGU8dL._SL1500_.jpg

akg k451

you can easily get them for £40-£50 over here in the uk and i'm sure for a similar price in the us too. they're very durable/portable (they fold and have a detachable cable), i've dropped mine down stairs, onto concrete etc etc more times than i can count yet they barely have a scratch on them. they also come with a protective case which includes a spare cable with volume control & a mic. i've had mine for 2 years and not had a single issue. as far as the quality of sound is concerned you can just go google that as all the reviews will do a much better of telling you than me, all i'll say is that it pretty much murders everything else in its price range. i listen to a very wide range of music & i'm more than satisfied across the board.

• 1 month later...