162 members have voted

1. 1. headphones to get

• shure e2c
    • entymotic er6
    • Ultimate Ears Super.fi 3
    • other (please specify)

i used this as another source in my hunt:

http://headphonereviews.org/

i have a pair of the akg k81's (60$) with about 200 hours burn in and im very satisfied with them. extraordinary isolation kept it quiet even with the windows down when my car stereo crapped out on me. im sure the hd25 is great too cause i seriously considered the hd28pro. with less than 30 bucks you can make your own headphone amp in an altoids tin (cmoy) and not seem so retarded, nerdy or business-y. and the reason why bose is so ripped on is cause for the money you can get a pair that could blow it out of the water.

i just picked up the shure e2c and i'm pretty durn happy with em.

i've listened to a variety of stuff on etymotic's competing er6 model, and

despite having a great fit in my ear, they seemed to reproduce everything

with less 'punch' than the shures. songs that used to make me want to

get out of my seat and go crazy just kinda fizzled...

• only retards, nerds and chronic business travelers use portable headphone amplifiers

i must reinforce this statement. i just got my supermacro, and the sound is NOT definitely NOT worth $300. im selling it back on headfi soon.

I used to be a headfi.org junkie, but was able to finally quit that habit (after getting the E500s). I would recommend that you stay away from that forum, for the sake of your wallet :)

I feel that the er6 have the highest fidelity out of the 3 that you listed. However, they are kind of weak on the low end (bass), which may or may not affect you, depending on the type of music that you listen to.

The e2c are very big/bulky, and very uncomfortable (imo).

I also noticed the similarities between the "pictures of your portable rig" thread on headfi, and the WAYWT thread here. It made me wonder which would be more of a shock for the average consumer: $300 jeans and $200 hoodies? or $500 headphones with $200 replacement cables?

i wish i could try them on but all the shops ive been to have said there is no sample model coz of health and safety

leaning towards the e2c now

as for the similairty btw waywt and the whats your rig photo, imagine if there was an even more niche board where you had to combine the 2, kind of like a japanese selvedge+portable amp kinda thing.

i wish i could try them on but all the shops ive been to have said there is no sample model coz of health and safety

leaning towards the e2c now

as for the similairty btw waywt and the whats your rig photo, imagine if there was an even more niche board where you had to combine the 2, kind of like a japanese selvedge+portable amp kinda thing.

tell me if i'm wrong here, but shure e2c seems to be the APC/Nudie of headphones. good enough for everyday use, won't crap out, but not over the ear type. thats a whole diff. category. i've had the e2c's for like 2 years now and no problems. no incentive to upgrade as well

I use Grado Sr-80s at home. Better bass than the 60s. I've had mine for 7 years.

I used to use Sony MDR V6 for listening and DJing. Still have one new pair.

On the go I use Sony EX51. Cheap and good sounding.

The e2c are very big/bulky, and very uncomfortable (imo).

Mmm you make a good point that I never really given thought to. Although I am no audophile, so it's one of those things where this is the best thing I have and to me it's godamned perfect.

I hope I don't get caught into this world... sounds like it's crazy just like this place... :cool:

Shure e2cs: They're available online for well under $100 if you look around, they sound great, and they're extremely durable as canal phones go. There are better sounding, better looking, and more comfortable ones out there, but you'll pay an extra $200+ for them. I couldn't take my morning commute without e2Cs: keeps me from having to hear what the crazy Christians on the 4/5 train are ranting about.

• 2 weeks later...

and the shures win!!

will be getting one within the week

and thanks all for the comments

who needs head-fi or any other forums when we have SuFu, which bascially every poster has their own speciality so just brings all that knowledge to this thread.

ive crapped this board from time to time, lost faith, got angry about it,

but its only becasue i care

ok ill shut up now

if you can swing it, get the shure e3c's ... i think they smash any $100 earbuds and the noise cancelling and sound are excellent.

i just saw your post above about nowhere having shures to try out. the apple store on 5th ave has a case, so i'm guessing the one on regent street will probably have on as well if they carry them with a ton of disposable earpieces. this would also be a good way to grab some extra pieces if you lost them... if you get a chill salesperson on the floor.

Yes it's true the E2's are pretty big and they are far from what I would call stylish looking back on it maybe I should have spent the bit extra money geting the E3's but you can't compare them to the crap headphones that come with most players these. I find them to be very confortable it just takes a bit of time to get use to.

• 1 month later...

after having the shure ec2s for 6 weeks, this is my long term review.

first of, i cant stress enough the time needed to try all the various tips.

there are 3 different ones, each in 3 different sizes.

ive settled on the medium silicon cones.

the foam ones are more comfortable but they seem to distort a little at the top end.

also there is no difference btw the g and c suffix, except the shorter cable on the g.

stright out the bow they are pretty uncomfortable, not in a poorly fitting shoe kind of way, but more like tight Y fronts uncomfortable.

its something that ive gotten used to but still way different form normal buds.

the trade off is that once in, background sound just melts away, surrounding yourslef in a cocoon of, not silence, but heavily muted background noise.

sometimes too much. i have had a couple of close calls whilst crossing the road. only brealing a cars was coming when they beeped their horn. so be aware.

but this allows for you to llisten at a far lwoer volume than normal, yet still pick up bits which would have been missed using inferior buds at a higher volume.

when the need arises to turn up the volume, nothing seems to disort, bass or treble.

this allows you to play around with the EQ settings.

another weird thing is walking with them in and hearing your own footsteps.

another nice thing is the small carry case supplied in the box.

currently looking for an mp3 player small enough to fit in there. probably the shuffle.

finally a word about actually putting the buggers in.

the manual is not really helpful.

i start with the wires facing forward and put them into my ears a la normal buds.

then using a screwing action, slide them inwards with a rotation so the wires end up pointing upwards.

ps i dont bpther looping them round trhe back of my ears. no need.

so what's the verdict superdupersang???

i have three main headphones (one for the studio, one for heavy duty use, and one for portable use), but i am going to be doing a lot of travelling so i need something with good noice cancellation or isolation.

oh yeah.. :)

cannot compare to my b&o form 2s.

they have such a rich, 3d sound, like high end speakers on your ears

the sound quality on the shure takes getting used to, in that they really feel like the sound is "in" your head, rather than around it. so you loose the 3d aspect of big sounds, like recordings.

its better for electronica or production heavy hip hop etc.

but the sound isolation is definately the best ive had in my (limited) experience.

which means you can pick up nuaces missed previously.

stuff like the sound of muscians inhaling or fret board change sound things.

bass is very punchy but not bowel looseningly so. but im not really not a base head so that doesnt bother me.

treble is nice and delicate.

all in all highly recommended for the price