superdupersang

headphones to get  

162 members have voted

1. 1. headphones to get

• shure e2c
    • entymotic er6
    • Ultimate Ears Super.fi 3
    • other (please specify)

The cables on my Shure 210's are broken. Time for a replacement. What's a good sub-$100 in ear headphone?

Oh man, lots. RE-Zero's, Sunrise Xscape Impressive Edition, Sunrise Xcite, Shure 215's, Brainwavs M2/M3's, MEElectronics A151's, MEElectronics CC51's, Fischer Audio Eterna's, Fischer Audio Silver Bullets...

...depends what kind of signature you like. i'm probably forgetting a few other iem's too, and there are a handful more solid options, if you decide to push it a bit over the $100 mark.

I placed my order for a pair of Shure SRH-840 on February 1st through Amazon. After my purchase I realized that it wasn't the cheapest place to buy them, unfortunately but just let it be. I finally received my headphones today after more than 3 and a half months. These things should definitely be burned in by now. Glad this ordeal is finally over.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, my 2nd set of Monster Turbines just died the other day. I'm back to using my RE0's for now. I can't seem to get a good fit on the RE0's and am looking for another set...

anyone using the a-JAYS three/four? what do you think? they look pretty decent for the price.

OK, my 2nd set of Monster Turbines just died the other day. I'm back to using my RE0's for now. I can't seem to get a good fit on the RE0's and am looking for another set...

anyone using the a-JAYS three/four? what do you think? they look pretty decent for the price.

i dunno about re-zeros to be bass heavy, or at least to be on par with the bass of turbines in terms of quantity

I got the Xears TD Blackwood III when they gave out that coupon code (came out to be 50 $ flat) looks like they copied the turbine design yet they sound better, bassy but cleaner/tighter overall sound compared to the turbines imo

Also look at Atrio X, wait for sales, can be had 70 or 80 bucks on sale, i heard they use the same insides as the Atrio M5 which i used to own, also known as bassy phones ( subbass on them are unreal )

The A jays line have flat cables, im not a big fan since they seem to have more microphonics than traditional cables. As Munkyballz has mentioned, the competition in this bracket is huge and so it will come down to price and ergonomics or how they fit you since many of the mentioned phones share that warm bassy fun sound. Hope this helps

I don't know about that one, but I recently bought a Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80ohms, and this review really helped me: http://nwavguy.blogspot.com/2011/04/beyerdynamic-dt-770-pro-80-review.html

While focusing on the Beyer it often compares it to Sennheiser HD280, Audio Technica ATH-M50, Denon D-2000 and Sony MDR-V6/7506. Interesting read if you want to buy a sub $200 pair of headphones, lots of technical insight.

Just a heads up for anybody looking around for cheap in-ears, been testing out some Etymotic ER-6is for a week and transmit pretty great.

Bass could be a little better but for the <$100 range they are superb.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, Just received my TF10's. Comparing them to my free samsung headphones that my mom got with her phone (and gave them to me), I gotta say the Samsung headphones are much worth the money, especially since they were free. Needless to say, I JUST got these, so they still need some burn-in time since they are essentially brand new, and need the drivers warmed up.

As for the sound, the good thing is that all 3 things (mids, highs, AND lows) all are amazing. You can distinctly make out the cymbals, the bass response is pretty good, and the mids are very forward. I won't keep to this since they need time to warm up and my ears to get used to them. So after these have about 50 hours on them I will write a little review on them.

Had some Sunrise Xcape V.1's they were amazing but after a 1 month of hard use, audio went out in one ear. So went and bout some of those new MEElectronics 151's, pretty damn good. Different style of IEM, but for the price they're not bad.

Well my sennheiser's have just died, right in time for my vacation tomorrow.

Anyone have thoughts on Grado SR60i's?

They are priced well, and look good (very important). Will be my first "open" headphones as the rest have been in-ear, so need them to actually look good while worn...

Recently purchased these: Audio Technica ATH-AD700

Loving them so far, the over the ear feature is nice and so far there isn't much to complain about. I'm using them for home though... It isn't really one to lug around outside, they are pretty giant and may look goofy to some.

They are priced well, and look good (very important). Will be my first "open" headphones as the rest have been in-ear, so need them to actually look good while worn...

I'm not an expert with headphones but I'll share my experience with the SR60's. I had to replace my Grado SR60's due to my right side fading out then eventually dying due to a weak wire. The part of the cord connected to the cord splitter ripped, which eventually weakened the wire. I've seen a couple of other posts online about it occurring. Other than that a few minor complaints would be that the foam ear pads get destroyed pretty easily, and I had to cut/rip a little bit of the glued on net that separates the inside of the headphone from the ear pad to get out hair that somehow got in and created an annoying vibrating buzz when the bass kicked up. This is after years of use though, I think I've used my Grados for almost 4 years now. I love them, and I will probably send them in to try to get them fixed to use as back ups.

Also, don't be afraid the bend the band... it's metal and is made to be bent, I didn't know that for the first couple of days so they were really tight for a while.

Hopefully that made sense, lack of sleep sucks :o

How often you people replace your foam tips? Have to spend $30 every 3-4 months to buy a fresh pack :(

Damn, eBay has them foams for $15/ pack of 3 foams. But I usually replace every month and try to get as much use out of the foams by cleaning my ears often with a q-tip.

Ok... Almost pulled the trigger on a set of aiaiai tma-1's today (only didn't cop because it was the display model that was left...).

Anything else I should consider before I go back and grab them tomorrow??

Edit : primarily used on public transport...

I'm not an audio expert but they sound much better than other options in their price range. They're great, listening to them around at home. But they're super impractical:

They seriously are so noisy. Noisy enough that you'd never want listen to them on the bus, both out of concern for yourself and everyone around you. Also, even having stretched them out like someone else mentioned, they're still quite uncomfortable. With regards to how they look while worn, they're quite wide and in my opinion, look strange on the head. My head, at least.

Ok... Almost pulled the trigger on a set of aiaiai tma-1's today

Edit : primarily used on public transport...

I finally picked up a pair after eyeing them since they came out. Very satisfied. But I use them sitting at work mostly. I can't really see going back to nice-r cans in a mobile environment. For bus/trains/walking I'm much happier with some well fitting IEMs....

I finally picked up a pair after eyeing them since they came out. Very satisfied. But I use them sitting at work mostly. I can't really see going back to nice-r cans in a mobile environment. For bus/trains/walking I'm much happier with some well fitting IEMs....

yeah, thanks. i've always used IEMs but those TMA-1's are so friggen sexy that i've been thinking about giving them a try. you're probably right about public transport = IEM's though.