superdupersang

headphones to get  

162 members have voted

1. 1. headphones to get

• shure e2c
    • entymotic er6
    • Ultimate Ears Super.fi 3
    • other (please specify)

anyone that swears by bose is a fucking idiot. you should immediately stop taking any advice from them when it comes to electronic equipment.

Bose forces stores to fix the price of Bose products to reenforce the perception that it is a premium product. That is why you never see it on sale.

Bose does road-shows where they show their small mp3/cd player and small speakers - but hide the $4,000+ worth of parametric equalizers and Krell amps between the two. So it gives the impression of great sound without admitting there is lots of equipment they do not sell to make it happen.

Bose advertises in AARP (American Association of Retired Peoples) magazine targeting the elderly - not a demographic known for good hearing.

Bose has sued magazines including Consumer Reports to avoid negative reviews or comparisons with other gear.

Bose spends 10 times more on Marketing then Engineering.

holy crap, my iphone headphones just went through the wash. was expecting i'd have to buy another pair, but they still work! and they're now whiter than ever :D

thats the one good thing about them, mine been through many super hot wash and dry cycles. But daily use finds me needing to replacing them every 4 to 6 months.

Anyone got any tips on minimal, nice designed in ear headphones? Built in mic is preferable. Checked out AIAIAI but I'm not sure I like the curved cable (made to have it behind the ear). Been checking out Monster Beats by dr dre tour but I dunno. Any other suggestions? Not too expensive please :)

Bump?! Anyone? :)

^ seriously annoyed at people who I know who think beats are the shit....

It went from amusement to frustration for me. Don't even waste your breath, they don't care about the actual facts. If they did, they wouldn't have Beats, now would they?

What do you guys use at the office/work?

Despite the above opinions of Boss, I've been using a pair of noise canceling over-ear headphones after trying out a colleague's.

Can't really comment on the sound quality, as don't really have a base of comparison plus the output of my mp3 player isn't really that great, but can attest for the noise cancellation part which is great. Drowns out all background noise, allowing me to get a few hours of uninterrupted work a day.

Only other pair of noise canceling headphones I've tried were Sony's NC60 which I noticed had a notable hiss once turned on.

Checked out AIAIAI but I'm not sure I like the curved cable (made to have it behind the ear).

From my experience AIAIAI's quality isn't too great, but then again they're fairly cheap. I had to replace a pair twice, after they broke after about 1.5 month's of moderate use. Their customer is pretty good though, they sent me a new pair twice, but after they too eventually stopped working I decided to just buy something better.

After 6-7 years of heavy use, my Sony MDR v700 look like they're on their last mile. I've switched to in-ear for everyday use (got some shure se420 which i am very happy with), but i'm not comfortable listening to them for over 2-3 hours. If i'm not in a meeting / on a call, I pretty much always listen to music at work so i need to headphones that will be comfortable listening to for long period of times. Although not the best headphones in the world, the Sony did a good job of noise cancelling and the sound was pretty decent.

Now that i'm looking at an over-ear replacement, i'm a bit unsure and am hoping to get some ideas / recommendations. I listen to music from my computer so i don't have an amp, but if that becomes necessary, i wouldn't mind getting one. The office is pretty loud all the time so i need something that will offer some form of noise cancellation (meaning Grado and the like are unfortunately off limit), although i would prefer something that is not an official noise cancelling headphone (don't want any battery / charging).

Any recommendations for a $200-400 headphone? Could be a little more if it's worth it

After 6-7 years of heavy use, my Sony MDR v700 look like they're on their last mile. I've switched to in-ear for everyday use (got some shure se420 which i am very happy with), but i'm not comfortable listening to them for over 2-3 hours. If i'm not in a meeting / on a call, I pretty much always listen to music at work so i need to headphones that will be comfortable listening to for long period of times. Although not the best headphones in the world, the Sony did a good job of noise cancelling and the sound was pretty decent.

Now that i'm looking at an over-ear replacement, i'm a bit unsure and am hoping to get some ideas / recommendations. I listen to music from my computer so i don't have an amp, but if that becomes necessary, i wouldn't mind getting one. The office is pretty loud all the time so i need something that will offer some form of noise cancellation (meaning Grado and the like are unfortunately off limit), although i would prefer something that is not an official noise cancelling headphone (don't want any battery / charging).

Any recommendations for a $200-400 headphone? Could be a little more if it's worth it

Don't get active noise canceling imo. Why? Cause you are simply paying extra for OK sounding headphones. I recommend getting a pair of Denon D5000's as I have owned them, loved them, etc.. You don't need an amp though, well.. Unless it has a really high impedance. I think I am saying that right, haven't been in the headphone game for a while, so I may not remember correctly.

Anyways, AKG headphones for example will most likely need an amp because they have a high impedance. That means they pretty much need more fuel to get them running, so that is where amps come into play, to basically make the sound louder. Most of the time though, people only buy them for that, or to get the sound modified (kinda like EQ'ed).

But, yeah I recommend a pair of Denon D5k's (although 2k's are almost the same), and if you don't want them, I would try my hand @ Ultrasones. I am more of an IEM guy though.

I tried out the Shure 535's on my iPod the other day for 15 minutes. I just directly plugged it into my iPod without an amp, and didn't think that the headphones were honestly worth $500. I mean honestly, when a song starts, my eyes become wide like O__O because I'm amazed at the quality of the sound... but 15 seconds later, I don't feel the same anymore.

Is it really THAT much better with an amp?

Don't get active noise canceling imo. Why? Cause you are simply paying extra for OK sounding headphones. I recommend getting a pair of Denon D5000's as I have owned them, loved them, etc.. You don't need an amp though, well.. Unless it has a really high impedance. I think I am saying that right, haven't been in the headphone game for a while, so I may not remember correctly.

Anyways, AKG headphones for example will most likely need an amp because they have a high impedance. That means they pretty much need more fuel to get them running, so that is where amps come into play, to basically make the sound louder. Most of the time though, people only buy them for that, or to get the sound modified (kinda like EQ'ed).

But, yeah I recommend a pair of Denon D5k's (although 2k's are almost the same), and if you don't want them, I would try my hand @ Ultrasones. I am more of an IEM guy though.

Thanks. I don't plan on getting active noise cancelling headphones, can't be bothered charging the thing and i heard from pretty much everyone that when i comes down to it, the sound quality isn't that great. I'll look into the Denon, they look like something i'm looking for.

I tried out the Shure 535's on my iPod the other day for 15 minutes. I just directly plugged it into my iPod without an amp, and didn't think that the headphones were honestly worth $500. I mean honestly, when a song starts, my eyes become wide like O__O because I'm amazed at the quality of the sound... but 15 seconds later, I don't feel the same anymore.

Well, an amp helps provide like... better sound? I suck at explaining what an amp does. Basically it makes all the right stuff sound better. Most of the time it amplifies the sound so it becomes louder, or clearer. Personally my mini amp just makes the bass stronger and clearer. But it is like a $20 amp, so I am not getting much with it.

And seriously, you can't try headphones for 15 minutes. You should try them out for a week, I feel the same way with all my headphones, at first I listen to them but the feeling of them being the best wears off. You don't realize how good they are though until you really get used to them, and then you try crappy headphones and you realize that the headphones are worth the $$$.

By the way, you can find them for ~$400, $500 is retail.

Thanks. I don't plan on getting active noise cancelling headphones, can't be bothered charging the thing and i heard from pretty much everyone that when i comes down to it, the sound quality isn't that great. I'll look into the Denon, they look like something i'm looking for.

Good choice man :) yeah sound quality is > noise canceling. Most headphones that are closed back do have relatively OK noise canceling though.

there are a lot of factors that would help you get the most out of a high end IEM like that...

it helps to have lossless music, an amp can help but at such low impedance it might not be thaaat useful… and it takes time for you to get used to the sound signature. 15 seconds (even 15 minutes at that) isn't enough to notice what they excel at, what fit is best, the little details, etc

with that said, some people just can't hear the differences.. i am jealous of them. i have the se530s and i can't go back, i'm looking to get the se535s soon.. :o

It could also depends on which iPod you have, since different iPods have different sound quality due to DAC.

re: se535s

another significant (yes, enough to warrant a bolding) is the sound is heavily reliant on what kind of seal you create in your ear.

I wasn't too thrilled with the 530s at first, but there was a world of difference when I used the triple-flange tips instead of that foam bullshit. I hear the older school yellow foam tips are quite good too, but i haven't tried.

and IEMs don't burn in.

I've had the same pair of shure in-ears for about 4 years, love them.

The triple-flange are the ONLY tips worth trying.

Every ear is different. Every tip should be tried on first to determine what works/seals best for you.

yeah, seriously, how can you tell someone else what tips would fit them best? human anatomy varies from person to person. that's like telling someone there is only 1 jean everyone should wear despite body size

those tma-1s are dope. im waiting for them to go on sale. hows the quality?

I like them a lot. I got these just to walk around and commute. HD-25's sound slightly better but the bass and treble on these are superb. They sound much better with the leather ear pads, foam ear pads not so much (too much leakage) so I'll just be sticking to the leather pads. They're also indestructible, I can bend these anyway I want and they won't break, good for just throwing in my bag. Also, the coil cable is a little annoying but I replaced with a straight cable. Overall, I am more than satisfied with these.

• 2 months later...