superdupersang

headphones to get  

162 members have voted

1. 1. headphones to get

• shure e2c
    • entymotic er6
    • Ultimate Ears Super.fi 3
    • other (please specify)

M50's are solid headphones. I've used mine daily for about five months and have been very satisfied. I wouldn't nearly say the bass is hyped at all. Head-fi people (and hi-fi people in general) are notorious for blowing things way out of proportion and jumping on the hype bandwagon. Studio people, on the other hand (with some exceptions) tend to be pretty honest about the gear, and if the bass on these things was at all boosted, I seriously doubt so many people would be trusting them enough to mix on.

i have the head-direct re-0s they have been great

but they broke 6 month ago, luckily the y were stlill under warranty so i got a new pair, and now these broke too

i cbf going through the whole return/exchange process again

whats good iems around the <$150 range? i use them everyday

head-fi is 80% bullshit. Learn from my mistakes concept.

It's bullshit since everyone likes a different sound-sig, and when someone buys a headphones with too little bass cause they like bass on par with a pair of Dre's then they decided to post and say how much bass that headphones is lacking, causing an "educated" argument, making people :confused::confused: and having them debate on what to buy. Personally I love Westone 3's, and Denon D5000's.

If you want headphones, don't read reviews, just try them out cause youll never know if you really like them. I have tried 10+ different headphones. The best were JH-13's, but then again I read reviews saying they weren't that great...WTF?? They were the best headphones I have EVER used. Proves to show that head-fi is 80% bullshit. Trust me, don't go reading reviews from a noob, look at that persons posts and see what headphones he uses if they are similar to yours chances are it isn't BS though.

Well, actually you can learn a lot about headphones from there. Like you say, there is a big difference between a lot of the models available.

the main problem I have, are the amps, dacs, cables, and other bullshit a lot of the members insist make a big difference. Many even recommend buying £40+ power cables :| 'Special' fuses? Tube dampers? fuuuck off.

it's funny when these morons have deluded themselves and justify their purchases. 'I didn't hear any difference at first, but after a while I could definitely hear frequencies I hadn't heard before!!!111!1'

Well, actually you can learn a lot about headphones from there. Like you say, there is a big difference between a lot of the models available.

the main problem I have, are the amps, dacs, cables, and other bullshit a lot of the members insist make a big difference. Many even recommend buying £40+ power cables :| 'Special' fuses? Tube dampers? fuuuck off.

it's funny when these morons have deluded themselves and justify their purchases. 'I didn't hear any difference at first, but after a while I could definitely hear frequencies I hadn't heard before!!!111!1'

That is definitely why it would be bullshit. I can understand if there is a difference between a pico slim, and a little shitted fiio amp (model doesn't come to mind, but I got it with my RE0 2's. But when you see the "burn in" that is kind of ridiculous cause how much can an amp really change? I mean they are so picky about how it sounds, they do like red, blue, yellow frequency tests.... I have never heard such tests?!?!

But, I mean I guess it makes them feel good then whatever. I mean they would probably find that N&F and samurai jeans are the same, but to us it isn't... then again, anything to do with headfi will eat your wallet out.

£40 cables are peasant status...jks, jks :P

But being an audiophile myself, I have to say the hobby has lots of myths and bullshit...but this somewhat resembles the denim and leather hobbies here on SuFu.

Try talking the average person into buying a $300+ pair of jeans...

None of the 'benefits' or 'details' we talk of on this forum is likely to convince the average jeans-wearer to part with so much money.

And for the same buckaroos the average shopper is also more likely to buy designer brands that their friends will all recognise and love.

Who is more rational? Hard to say.

I think you guys are missing the point competely.

Speaking on jeans, yeah the average consumer might think that the added benefits or details are superfluous, but the fact is that the $300 pair of jeans is going to be the superior choice.

What I have an issue with is how is a £100 power cable going to make any difference to a standard (and sturdy) £5 one? It's like the whole gold-plated HDMI cable thing, it makes absolutely no difference. I realise that sound is very much a subjective issue, everyone's hearing is likely to be different in some way and so perhaps what these people are hearing might be different.

But having tried many, many other different solutions to enhance my own listening experience, I would say the vast majority of these claims are utter bullshit.

Diminishing returns? Perhaps, but not when it comes to 24k gold cable replacements, ebony wood mods, etc.

Looking at the suggested recommendations around there now just makes me laugh. That's not to say they don't know about earphones/headphones though, they are the best for that and very helpful. Beyond that though..

£40 cables are peasant status...jks, jks :P

But being an audiophile myself, I have to say the hobby has lots of myths and bullshit...but this somewhat resembles the denim and leather hobbies here on SuFu.

I agree, mean I think the

"Burn-in" is really in your head since you just get used to the sound signature. I do think though that the drivers need to run for ~30 minutes just so the drivers are able to start up, but nothing like 100 hours.. anyways, for us with jeans on sufu, there IS a noticeable difference between a $200 pair of nudies, and a $350 pair of samurais though. I think it sucks that it is so pricey, but the fading properties are completely different, the quality, and the thickness.

Obviously to some normal person who think $50 for a jean is ridiculous, he wouldn't see a difference like we would. So it just depends on your hobby(?) And how willing you are to go the extra step for it (sounds corn, but it is true).

• 2 weeks later...

welp, my tid bit. Bought the Etymotic MC3's. LOOVVEEDDD the noise isolation, I couldn't hear a damn thong other than my brain thinking while these were one. Side note, they were horrible with bass, mids were alright, and highs were decent. Though, for $98, they just dont seeem worth it. Sent them back to Amazon, prolly gonne pick up some Nuforce, RE-Zeros, PL50's, or find some Sunrise SX-capes

Obviously to some normal person who think $50 for a jean is ridiculous, he wouldn't see a difference like we would. So it just depends on your hobby(?) And how willing you are to go the extra step for it (sounds corn, but it is true).

Spot on mate!

My old man and his friends will happily drop $$$$$ on an extra subwoofer they don't need, but would hesitate a million years to buy $$$ jeans - they reckon they can 'feel' that extra 5 Hz extension at the bottom end, but fail to see the (to me) easily noticeable differences in fabric and construction on different jeans.

The concept of worth is relative :P

• 2 weeks later...
Spot on mate!

My old man and his friends will happily drop $$$$$ on an extra subwoofer they don't need, but would hesitate a million years to buy $$$ jeans - they reckon they can 'feel' that extra 5 Hz extension at the bottom end, but fail to see the (to me) easily noticeable differences in fabric and construction on different jeans.

The concept of worth is relative :P

Yeah, well I just find it extremely funny when my friends think that $100+ on denim is rediculous, but they buy beats ($150+), and its even funnier when they think they are getting great sound, but they are hearing shit. They are noobs actually cause they dont listen to .flac, or even mp3, no, they listen to 64 kb. rate music.

But they are really using $10 out of the headphones... Wtf. They mighy as well stick with their shitty ass headphones. But, I for one will put my mpney I used on my jeans to good use (sorry, tried to make that as much sense as possible).

http://www.rmcaudiodirect.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50-p/ath-m50.htm

Use the coupon code PHONES and you get 25% off, can even call them up and they will probably give you an even better price quote. As for if you will like them... it is just like clothing it is always best to try before you buy. You can read reviews, but it is best to try them out before you buy them. Otherwise who knows if you will like them..

And for those who want to get a pair of ultrasones, beyer (some models), and shure headphones check out that site RMC audio. They give AMAZING deals.

Anyone got any tips on minimal, nice designed in ear headphones? Built in mic is preferable. Checked out AIAIAI but I'm not sure I like the curved cable (made to have it behind the ear). Been checking out Monster Beats by dr dre tour but I dunno. Any other suggestions? Not too expensive please :)

^Got my mom the RE2, and honestly they are way to airy for my tastes. The soundstage is much more than I can handle giving it an airy feel, and I like it when I am closed in and can hear everything. Personally I am using Samsung standard headphones that came with her phone (we traded), so those are my headphones for now until I stop buying stupid stuff and save up enough money for Westone 3's.

Other than that, yeah those look pretty sweet.