superdupersang

headphones to get  

162 members have voted

1. 1. headphones to get

• shure e2c
    • entymotic er6
    • Ultimate Ears Super.fi 3
    • other (please specify)

i ended up ordering a pair of RE0's - seems to get pretty good reviews and good bang for the buck. they cannot come in soon enough. i just switched over to the stock ipod buds today and holy eff is the sound terrible. well, i suppose the real problem is that there is no sound isolation so i can't hear shiet.

• 1 month later...
i ended up ordering a pair of RE0's - seems to get pretty good reviews and good bang for the buck. they cannot come in soon enough. i just switched over to the stock ipod buds today and holy eff is the sound terrible. well, i suppose the real problem is that there is no sound isolation so i can't hear shiet.

how do you like them? i'm thinking of the RE-ZERO's sooner than later

just picked up some ATH-m50's recently. they are awesome for the price and have fantastic reviews if you're looking for some around the ear, closed headphones.

bass is fantastic, construction is good, and they look great. all black!

i picked up for $110 at b&h photo video.

how do you like them? i'm thinking of the RE-ZERO's sooner than later

been using the RE0s daily for about a month now. like them a lot, especially when you consider the price. good bang for the buck for sure. sound is on par with the monster turbines that i used to use (before the left side went out). build quality is good, and it's much lighter weight than the turbines. they look and feel a lot like the v-moda vibes. not as much bass as the vibes.

i couldn't get a good fit at first but after fiddling around with the different tips, i found a decent bud. i liked the triple flange thing that came with the turbines better though.

overall, i'd rather get 2 RE0's than a pair of monsters!

• 2 weeks later...

akgk440nc.jpg

I'm using a pair of AKG 440 NCs I bought around a year ago. They sound fantastic, well balanced with very clear bass. Noise cancelling's quite effective when activated, though the box is seperate from the headphones, which can be rather annoying. The design's also nice, reminiscent of a WWII radio operator's headset. I recall these headphones being awarded the "Golden Ear 2008" by Audio magazine.

All in all, money well spent.

• 4 weeks later...

anyone have experience with the new high-end IEMs?

my se530s sound great but are prone to cable failure so easily and i've already had shure replace them once. im thinking of sending them in and asking for an upgrade to the SE535s. anyone have any experience with the 535s, and does anyone know where i could buy replacement cables??

really happy with my pair of creative aurvana live, basically the same as the denon d1000, just rebranded, although some ppl say the creative's have a bit more bass, i dunno.

i did the blutak mod on them which tightened the bass and made the sound even more amazing; really bang for buck light portable which actually doesn't hurt my ears since i wear glasses.

for portable, i have um2, love their warm upfront midrange and just purchased meelec 11+ which i will review since there isn't that much about them yet.

^ seriously, cables getting fuqqed every time.

if u notice the SE535, the main improvements are the cables. even if i did get those i cant find replacement cables anywhere online.. i'd cop the clears and get black cables B)

anyone have enough bad experiences with mid range headphones ($$ i mean) that they just buy cheap crap now?

commuting always effs with my cables and i end up with one dead ear. i now use JVC marshmallows that i ordered from amazon for like 10 bucks a pop.

i might have even complained about this earlier in this thread.

• 4 months later...

so im lookin for some good quality ear phones for daily use. My price range is around 100 bills to 120.

Where im at people swear by the Dr Dre beats earphones but something tells me they priced too much for not so much quality & just for the dre name.

From reviews i've seen i have come to the conclusion of possibly the Klipsch image s4i is a high quality earphone.

I'd like to know what some of you guys recommend? Maybe you know something better for a lil cheaper or maybe you know of a quality earphone i can cop thats only a few dollars more.

I listen to a techno, electronic, lounge & hip hop mostly so quality matters thanks mates!

i have the m50s and they're an excellent buy for the price, but i want to point out that they are somewhat bass heavy as i'm sure you've read. i don't have any experience with the dt770s but i considered them before purchasing the m50s for about half the price. you can't go wrong either way really. the m50s are great to travel with and carry around. they round out my headphone collection as a solid option for travel and most music types - they dont shine so well with acoustic music but they're by no means poor. very comfortable and solidly constructed too. you won't be disappointed.

havent really read through this thread, but ill just post some of my opinions here:

if youre looking for iems, the best <150 you will find are Head-Direct RE0's, they only run for 80$ iirc but they are amazing for the price, I highly recommend them.

for full body headphones the staple imo and what I recommend most to people are the sennheiser hd595 or hd555 with something like an nforce dac, depending on their budget, or a similarly priced grado model.

nicest rig ive had personally was a Stax Lambda Pro w/ srm-1 mk ii, got the two together for around 400$ off headfi, simply amazing setup. unfortunately the left driver in the headphones started to die and finding replacement drivers for those things is pretty much impossible since they stopped making them 20 years ago. replaced them with ultrasone proline 2500s and have been using them since, decent for the price [250 off headfi]

tldr if youre looking for iems and have a <150$ budget, get head-direct re0s, 100-200$ budget get hd595s (or hd555s if you have small upgrades in mind like a low budget amp) or grado equivalent, and if you plan on spending around the 400-500$ range i highly recommend a stax setup if you can get your hands on one (good luck)

i have the m50s and they're an excellent buy for the price, but i want to point out that they are somewhat bass heavy as i'm sure you've read. i don't have any experience with the dt770s but i considered them before purchasing the m50s for about half the price. you can't go wrong either way really. the m50s are great to travel with and carry around. they round out my headphone collection as a solid option for travel and most music types - they dont shine so well with acoustic music but they're by no means poor. very comfortable and solidly constructed too. you won't be disappointed.

lol ive read the dt770s have more bass, but sucks without an amp. im gonna be using them straight out the computer/iphone so apparently theyre gonna sound quiet. best thing is to just try them out myself

^ seriously, cables getting fuqqed every time.

if u notice the SE535, the main improvements are the cables. even if i did get those i cant find replacement cables anywhere online.. i'd cop the clears and get black cables B)

I got the SE535 clears and they rule... used to have their predecessor and the cables got completely fucked but these have no deterioration with everyday use since release. I can't find replacement cables but I'm sure shure has em.

Sound quality is about par with the SE530s, which is to say, amazing.

My gf jokes that I look like I have hearing aids in, but I love em.