headphones to get  

162 members have voted

1. 1. headphones to get

• shure e2c
    • entymotic er6
    • Ultimate Ears Super.fi 3
    • other (please specify)

ah k, not to worry then emixam.

problem with a lot of US webstores is they don't ship out of the US, cbf with a proxy. there are a couple of aussie stores that have them available for $145 AUD shipped, will give them another trial tomorrow before I pull the trigger.

So i bought the AKG K450. Sound is bit disappointing I must say. I have some Philips earbuds that give me a clearer and punchier sound. But I read on several websites I should give them few hours of listening so they can give their full potential - I will wait a bit then. Sound isolation is so-so as well, but it is normal for a nomad model.

On the other hand construction looks solid, and the case + accessories are very useful.

Do you have the Philips SHE9xxx series ?

nah I have the SHE8500, but after comparing with the AKG at home, AKG are actually much better, the balance between treble and bass is perfect. I was misled by the powerful bass of the Philips ( I like strong bass), but its overall sound is not as clear as the AKG (which bass are actually pretty fair, and treble definition wonderful).

• 2 weeks later...

currently using Grado SR225's paired with nuforce DAC and LD 1+ tube amp.

source is a laptop. good sound, great for home use.

for outdoors i use a pair of ATH CK300. good isolation, lacking bass, but the isolation is what i was aiming for and it does the job well for < 30usd.

for those in the market for a pair of headphones

i highly recommend getting a headphone amp

even small ones have amazing signal driving ability

you can even DIY which is real fun i recommend the CMoy

http://tangentsoft.net/audio/cmoy-tutorial/

real easy to do even if your not a biomedical/electric engineer like me

that is very debatable. Grado's and some "lower end" headphones do not require a amp. I would rather invest on a better source, or a external DAC/AMP like the NuForce uDAC which will be a better option.

CMoy i find are just bass enhancers.

that is very debatable. Grado's and some "lower end" headphones do not require a amp. I would rather invest on a better source, or a external DAC/AMP like the NuForce uDAC which will be a better option.

this is true. very little point in getting a nice headphone amp and connecting it to the crappy output of your ipod or laptop

grado sound better with an amp capable of providing a lot of current.

? of course a amp will provide better sound. just depends what you mean by better... But grado, especially the SR60/80/225/325's don't really need an amp in the first place.

like i said, i think most people think of "amps" as the #1 choice for headphone enhancement. But i think many audiophile will agree that the source is what makes the music sound "better".

well what i mean is, as far as low impedence headphones go, grado's are one of the few that improve dramatically with a good amp. More punch and better soundstage. Of course an amp and good source (DAC for me) are really a packaged purchase, no point in buying one without the other.

^Nice buds.

Think about this though. Can you eq your fuze in any way to allow it to drive a senn HD650 to reasonable volumes? Probably not. Even if you could, would it sound good, not a chance. Amps are not the same as EQ.

-I realize running a high impedence phone on a vuze is pretty dumb, and that headphone amps on portable mp3 players is also dumb, but that wasn't my point.

^ the flaw in your logic is that you are implicitly comparing HD650 on a portable rig to HD650 on an optimized home rig.

of course HD650 on full-size amp and source will sound better than a compromised lightweight setup. Are there battery powered headphone amps that will make the HD650 sound great? absolutely

what is the comparison to? are you saying HD 650 on a portable system will sound worse than SR325i on the same exact portable system? or say compared to dedicated portable phones like ER4P (of course danger with this and other audio comparisons is people who genuinly like the SR325i or ER4P over HD650)

also please enjoy this video of AKG K1000 being enjoyed on-the-go

9y8hnXm0v30

what everyones been saying about source VS amp is pretty much right.

i never said and amp would increase source output quality by magically reducing signal interference or something like that. im just saying that a DIY pocket amp like the CMoy is a fun, sound investment for non-aficionado folks who have inexpensive headphones and want better high-low ends.

I just got these new JVC HARX700 headphones from buy.com for only about $40. I'm still burning them in but so far they've really impressed me with their detail even though the bass is slightly weak, hopefully it will increase with burn in. I'd recommend these to anyone looking for full sized headphones for at home use. They're really oversized and would look strange in public though.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/official-jvc-ha-rx700-owners-appreciation-thread-only-unmodded-observations-please-436015/

^ the flaw in your logic is that you are implicitly comparing HD650 on a portable rig to HD650 on an optimized home rig.

of course HD650 on full-size amp and source will sound better than a compromised lightweight setup. Are there battery powered headphone amps that will make the HD650 sound great? absolutely

what is the comparison to? are you saying HD 650 on a portable system will sound worse than SR325i on the same exact portable system? or say compared to dedicated portable phones like ER4P (of course danger with this and other audio comparisons is people who genuinly like the SR325i or ER4P over HD650)

also please enjoy this video of AKG K1000 being enjoyed on-the-go

I was only using the example to explain to the poster above me that amps are not the same as EQ. As for portable systems...If you're traveling long distances in a very quiet environment I can see the appeal. If you're like most people and taking the subway, walking around town etc, then portable earbuds with isolation are going to sound a lot better, and be more practicle, than any open headphone + portable amp + mp3 player. Any clarity gained by the bigger setup is going to be hard to hear over the noise of the street or the subway train.

I love love love my etymotics...but they broke two weeks ago after like 15 months.... :( I'm gonna try to fix them. Solder!! lol

You have to like the feel of the in ear tips to enjoy the Er6. And the fact that you literally can't hear anything when they're in right. I literally walked into a building where the fire alarm was on and didn't realize until i saw the flashing lights inside.

Also the cords tangle and its kind of annoying at times.

if you like the isolated feel and feel comfortable with the tips, they're the best for the money.

• 2 months later...

alright - looking for some new headphones. just lost sound from the right bud on my friggen 8 month old monster turbines. sound was great, but i guess not that durable.

looking to just get some decent sounding buds that are relatively cheap. i throw the headphones in my bag usually, so i'm sure it wore down from daily wear and tear. it's only for my ipod, so i don't think i need anything too high end.

recommendations for a good pair under $100? I'm looking at the sennheiser cx300... decent reviews and cheapo.

i bought a pair of Soundmagic PL50 a couple of weeks ago, they're praised all over the web and for $50 they deliver a sound that is better than anything I heard.

i also recently advised one of my friend to get a pair of HeadDirect RE0 which he did and while they might be a bit more expensive, they look a bit more sturdy (this would have to be tested though). Also, i couldn't tell which one of them sounded better but that must be me.

i found this on head fi recently, it might help you (i musn't be hard to find this guy's thread on head fi where he reviews headphones either).

http://www.inearmatters.net/2009/01/list.html